advertisement

Kit that, irrationally, you’ve always just wanted…

Still on my ‘itch to scratch’ list… prefer its compact looks to the RT-909.

Pioneer-RT-707-tape-recorder.jpg
Analogue meters are so much cooler than the blue fluoro-scan ones on the RT-909.

I'm lucky enough (and silly enough) to have tried most of my irrational desires.

Still on the list:

• Conrad Johnson ACT2 preamplifier
  • EAR 912 preamplifier
  • Krell FBP400cx
  • Musical Fidelity AMS50
  • Apogee ribbon speakers: Scintilla/Divas/Caliper.
  • ATC SCM100A

I'm lucky enough (and silly enough) to have tried most of my irrational desires.

Still on the list:

• Conrad Johnson ACT2 preamplifier
  • EAR 912 preamplifier
  • Krell FBP400cx
  • Musical Fidelity AMS50
  • Apogee ribbon speakers: Scintilla/Divas/Caliper.
  • ATC SCM100A
Very strong list. Vibing with it.

Sonus Faber speakers (nothing fancy - just Concertino's perhaps)
Audio Research valve amps
Martin Logan electrostatics
Copland hybrid integrated amp.

Basically just stuff I demo'd years back and liked the sound of.

A pair of ATCs (I had ATCs at work and always liked them) and the Sugden Bijou stack (Saw one in a Hifi mag at the time and thought it looked very cool).

So 20yrs later, I've got a nice pair of SCM10s and a Sugden Headmaster/Musicmaster combo. Sadly they are hardly a great match 15W class a and 80dB/watt mini monitors. So I'll have to build 2 systems round them :)

Those two make a really nice combination .
I heard Sonus Faber Concertino's with a couple of different amps at a demo many years ago - one was a Copland hybrid integrated and the other was a Krell integrated. Both options sounded great but I now do have a Krell integrated, which is why it wasn't on my list.

I wasn't in the market for anything quite as expensive at the time so end up with an entry level Naim pre/power & speaker combination. It'd have saved myself a lot of money in the long run by just going with something like the Krell & Sonus Faber option straight away though!

I can join add something to this thread now. I would love to hear Qualio IQ and Quantum speakers, they have me intrigued. Before I do that though it’s time to unbox the Martin Logans and compare them with my current Rega RS10.

The insurance on that car would be murder. Personally if I had very deep pockets, my dream sports car would be a GTO Engineering 250 SWB Revival. So much more character, driver engagement and fun than a modern Ferrari or hypercar. And that is a car that you could keep driving into your golden years, as it wouldn't be too intimidating with 1000kg's kerb weight and between 300-350HP (depening on engine spec).

Last edited:
I can join add something to this thread now. I would love to hear Qualio IQ and Quantum speakers, they have me intrigued. Before I do that though it’s time to unbox the Martin Logans and compare them with my current Rega RS10.
The Qualio IQ Ultra's will be my next speakers, and will be replacing my Magico S5 Mk2's. After a long, exhaustive search, I concluded they were the best option for my medium size apartment and budget. But even the base-spec IQ is excellent. The Quantum is designed for smaller rooms, but apparently play big.

Last edited:
Very irrational, as it was presented in 1978 as the ultimate dream system in Swedish mag Radio & Television.

- Gale GT 2101 turntable
- Rabco SL-81 tone arm
- EMT TSD-15 cart
- MAS-1 mc head amp
- Sequerra tuner
- Studer B-67 RtR
- Mark Levinson ML-1 pre amp
- Mark Levinson LNC-2 electronic filter
- Beveridge loudspeakers
- Janis W-1 Sub
- Jecklin Float headphones

There is a pic here from the cover of the mag:

https://www.aef.se/Amatortidningar/Radio_och_Television/Radio_Television_1978-4.pdf

Of the stuff above I only ever heard the Beveridge speakers. Always wondered how the system actually might have sounded...

advertisement

Back