advertisement

Kit that, irrationally, you’ve always just wanted…

I had forgotten about the Gale GT 2101 turntable. Probably pants really but what a looker. I would have it as an ornament .

Very irrational, as it was presented in 1978 as the ultimate dream system in Swedish mag Radio & Television.

- Gale GT 2101 turntable
- Rabco SL-81 tone arm
- EMT TSD-15 cart
- MAS-1 mc head amp
- Sequerra tuner
- Studer B-67 RtR
- Mark Levinson ML-1 pre amp
- Mark Levinson LNC-2 electronic filter
- Beveridge loudspeakers
- Janis W-1 Sub
- Jecklin Float headphones

There is a pic here from the cover of the mag:

https://www.aef.se/Amatortidningar/Radio_och_Television/Radio_Television_1978-4.pdf

Of the stuff above I only ever heard the Beveridge speakers. Always wondered how the system actually might have sounded...
Wonderful. Especially the Mark Levinson amps and the Sequerra tuner.

For $70kUS less, I'd rather buy the upcoming GT Audio Works Reference 4 speaker system which will consist of 4- 20"x14" planar bass panels placed in an 80" line source with no x-over, 4- 20"x3" wide band mid range planar panels and 4- pure foil ribbon tweeters wired with an 8 ohm impedance matching transformer to cover 5K to above audibility. The main panels are paired with 6- 12" open baffle sub modules per channel with outboard amps, and will most likely cross over around 50 hz. Sensitivity will come in around 94 db and an easy flat 6 ohm load.

The late Peter Breuninger said the old GTAW Reference 3 speakers played in the same league as the Infinity IRS-V's, only with better midrange and bass. And according to Greg Takesh, the Ref 4's will outclass the Ref 3's by a mile. Here is a rendering of the system..

370559011_2282019502187032_853328467823206218_n.jpg

Gale GS401A
Lecson pre/power

Can't think of a TT offhand as I had a Hydraulic Ref from about '75 until 2002 I think, originally with a Fluid arm and then a Hadcock with many assorted cartridges.

advertisement

Back