advertisement

King Charles III

1st one lost his head and 2nd one was off his head...

Folks, I'm going to be uncharacteristically optimistic and hope that our new king will herald a new and better era.

The Queen was a living embodiment of "The Blitz", WW2, Empire, White cliffs of Dover, "Ascot", etc etc.... that was that era... (nothing pejorative there BTW)

Now maybe perhaps it will be a bit like the country recovering from a bad hangover and thinking "what the **** have we done recently!? It wasn't Brendas' fault but the last 12 (20?) years of the Elizabethan age sucked".... and going out for a walk in the crisp morning air and realising it needs to kinda hit the reset button :)

New era.....?

As a Yank-just plain don't get this ? Really don't understand the breathless coverage here in the US by ALL the media down to the local TV station ?

As a Yank-just plain don't get this ? Really don't understand the breathless coverage here in the US by ALL the media down to the local TV station ?

I am reminded of the coverage we have to endure during US elections. Not to mention the Superbowl;)

I can recommend Radio Paradise, they've just played Strange Fruit and there's now a fantastic bit of slide from Leo Kottke. Good enough.

A little tongue in cheek - interesting it got your heckles up.

Not really, I was just making sure you weren't some xenophobe type with some inflated idea of your countries worth. It's flag waving times like this that tend to bring out the nationalistic tendencies in people.

Actually, Charles II converted to Catholicism before he died, to no surprise of many.
Interesting parallels between the Anglican reformation and Brexit. Do you think Henry VIII was the Boris Johnson of his day? Spotted a handy situation to resolve a personal ambition.

As an anti-royalist and campaigner for a representative democracy I’m obviously dreading the embarrassing spectacle of a gaslit nation crowning its new king and eagerly accepting further subjugation. I will go to every length I can to avoid it/have no part in it. As stated on the Queen RIP thread I had nothing at all against Brenda personally. I can separate the person from the concept. She did a very dignified job of an absurd role she was born into and appeared to do it with an appropriately dry humour. I suspect I’d have rather liked her had I met her. I’ll keep that thread moderated out of respect. It isn’t IMHO the thread to take a stand against the brutal imperialist concept and blood-stained history of monarchy. This thread however is fair game. This is our future and we should have a say in it.

One thing that will be very interesting to watch once the all public cringe and mass hysteria has eventually played out is the dynamic between a “King” who has really been quite outspoken over recent years on climate change and appears to understand wider environmental issues, and a Conservative Party funded to the tune of many £millions by the oil industry and who’s new PM has made one of her first political acts protecting and ring-fencing simply absurd multi-£bn oil profits ahead of the needs of a freezing population and a collapsing economy in what is arguably a war situation. I’d like to be a fly on the wall for that conversation! I can’t see Charles being too happy delivering a ‘King’s Speech’ full of typically Tory erosion of environmental protections, fracking, and padding oil industry profits. He’ll probably have a view on the Tories flooding our beaches and rivers with shit too.

It sounds very odd and jarring to hear Charles spoken off as 'the King'. Slightly ridiculous. Something from a bygone era.

I think he will struggle to be taken seriously. His image on stamps and cash will attract much ridicule, I predict.

Plus there's all that hassle and expense to come changing the ER and Queen terms that are everywhere. It usually comes down to money and we many find the expense makes the UK question whether we have too much monarchy more than anything else.

It’s a strange and contrary situation where we voted in a government that doesn’t care much about the environment, yet we have a King via inheritance who’s been promoting a green and climate change agenda for many years before such issues were far from mainstream.

The monarchy is a useful tool for cementing divisions in society, most US local TV stations are right wing and a hereditary monarchy is a pretty good way to annoy left wing/progressives.

It sounds very odd and jarring to hear Charles spoken off as 'the King'. Slightly ridiculous. Something from a bygone era.

I think he will struggle to be taken seriously. His image on stamps and cash will attract much ridicule, I predict.

Plus there's all that hassle and expense to come changing the ER and Queen terms that are everywhere. It usually comes down to money and we many find the expense makes the UK question whether we have too much monarchy more than anything else.
His mother is a very hard act for anyone to follow and he will be acutely aware of that. His reign begins in a period of acute political and economic turmoil and events are naturally going to be less predictable. The shabby political behaviour of the ruling party of the United Kingdom might actually work to his advantage. What he will say he stands for is likely to be far more appealing than what they’ve offered for 12 years.

The right-wing propaganda machine would do well to tread very carefully before platforming any ridicule of the biggest asset they have (i.e. 'hereditary privilege').

It took years of very careful stage-management and massive amounts of PR cash to create the 'hard working lovable gran' image of the deceased monarch - undoing any of that (in the manner they applied to Harry) would have more irreversible consequences for their corrupt and inbred ideology than they could possibly imagine. If people begin to question a major prop in their flimsy house of cards, they may go on to join the dots in the rest.

advertisement

Back