advertisement

Kia? Really??

Bit of a numpty question, but what is the result on range if you're stuck in a slowly-moving jam for a fair time, esp. at night/in the cold etc? With an ICE car, you quickly top up at a service station if running low EVs and allied infrastructure seems to be improving/changing quickly but I'd be concerned about making a long journey and need to park on the road at t'other end, as it were.

Kia do seem to be as or more competitive in models, cost, range and drivability as others but I'm still awaiting an estate car instead of these strangely popular SUVs.

these car/driving threads always and eventually turn into i am a driving god will waving thing. I tend to drive 1000 miles plus without stopping for anything. I have a special in drive refuelling arrangement where a tanker draws up beside me and fill my car.....

range and battery tech is constantly improving - regardless of how good you claim to be, stopping for a break is good thing to refresh the brain and eyes. In a few years time you wont have a choice, itll be EVs as the only choice....regardless of what people want, they will have to get used to a new way of doing things....

Don’t really agree with that. Given I’ve worked on site for the past 35 years and my yearly average can be anywhere from 20-50k, I certainly don’t want to be stopping for 45mins when I’m on my way home for the weekend and I’ve not seen my loved ones for two weeks or more. I’ll also travel a large part of the length of the country quite happily without stopping and I certainly don’t count myself as a danger to others for doing so. If I feel tired I pull over, but that is a very rare occurrence.
Spot on.
I do Portsmouth to Manchester regularly with nothing but pee stops no problem.
Inconvenient 45 minute stops would piss me off greatly.

Kia, and Hyundai have followed the trajectory set by the Japanese makers in the 1980s. From novelty that nobody took seriously, to the best value/quality balance on the market.

The Hyundai equivalent to the EV6 is quite a looker too
ioniq5kvs_4.jpg

I saw one on the road for the first time a few days ago. It's terrific. The only area where I think Volvo/Polestar still has the edge is with the seats.

For me, seat comfort could be a deal breaker. I am 6'3" and have a bad lower back. I need really good lumbar and lateral support. It is an area where Volvo has historically excelled, but I don't feel that their modern seats are as comfortable as they were back when I bought (2004 XC70 and 2007 S80).

For me, seat comfort could be a deal breaker. I am 6'3" and have a bad lower back. I need really good lumbar and lateral support. It is an area where Volvo has historically excelled, but I don't feel that their modern seats are as comfortable as they were back when I bought (2004 XC70 and 2007 S80).
Best seats I ever sat in were an X type jag. And I've owned numerous Volvos as well.

I do the think the desire to do long distances in ‘one run’ is a red herring. If I’m going any distance further than the 200 or so miles my Zoe will do, I’d stop for coffee. So I plan to stop and charge where there’s somewhere to have a pee and drink coffee… 45 minutes or so gets me back up to 80%. That’s another good two and a half hours of driving. Anyone doing those sorts of distances without stopping is a hazard to themselves and others. I plan carefully, I use Zap map and check my planned chargers are working and have evidence of recent charger. I avoid BP like the plague, I make sure there’s a plan B.I’ve never had a problem. The problems are mostly in peoples mind.

That's all OK if you only make long trips occasionally. If you're away from home as much as I am, sitting around for 30 minutes at some khazi of a motorway service station drinking hideously overpriced coffee having spent ages waiting for a charging point because you can guarantee some don't work, some are Tesla only and some ***t has parked his twin cab in one 'cos it's near Greggs, is a real kick in the 'nads and something you can do without.

Back OT, the EV6 looks good but that SUV is hideous and clearly aimed for the US market, thankfully.

That's all OK if you only make long trips occasionally. If you're away from home as much as I am, sitting around for 30 minutes at some utter khazi of a motorway service station drinking hideously overpriced coffee having spent ages waiting for a charging point because you can guarantee some don't work, some are Tesla only and some ***t has parked his ICE in one 'cos it's near Greggs, is a real kick in the 'nads and something you can do without.

There are Tesla to J1772 adapters.

these car/driving threads always and eventually turn into i am a driving god will waving thing. I tend to drive 1000 miles plus without stopping for anything. I have a special in drive refuelling arrangement where a tanker draws up beside me and fill my car.....

No claim on being a driving god, but I am blessed with a robust bladder, 4-6 hour trips without a stop are not usually a problem.:)

range and battery tech is constantly improving - regardless of how good you claim to be, stopping for a break is good thing to refresh the brain and eyes. In a few years time you wont have a choice, itll be EVs as the only choice....regardless of what people want, they will have to get used to a new way of doing things....

I personally think that's a good thing.

Kia, and Hyundai have followed the trajectory set by the Japanese makers in the 1980s. From novelty that nobody took seriously, to the best value/quality balance on the market.

The Hyundai equivalent to the EV6 is quite a looker too
ioniq5kvs_4.jpg

I saw one on the road for the first time a few days ago. It's terrific. The only area where I think Volvo/Polestar still has the edge is with the seats.

You old trickster, that's hideous. ;)

The only area where I think Volvo/Polestar still has the edge is with the seats.
And rear boot space, as important for rear crash performance as practicality. There aren't many crash videos of rear impact tests out there but there are ones of a recent Golf and recent Jetta, and out of the two you really want kids to be in the back of the Jetta out of the two which disqualifies most of the EVs currently on the market apart from the Polestar and the Enyaq.

Yup...; They've wanted somewhere that way for a good while now; more so as my Dads a salmon/trout fisherman... So it's a good spot and they've treated themselves for their 50th anniversary...

We'll all be abusing it though :D It's a good central spot for me to get to a number of the manhood stones too (and distilleries) ;)
I can see Craigendarroch from my home office window, there’s a few other fishies around here.

You old trickster, that's hideous. ;)

On first glance, I couldn’t decide if I liked the look or not. Just watched a YouTube review, and it has grown on me. Relatively simple (yet contemporary) lines. Nothing seems overdone to my eyes. But to each their own! The interior looks really nice - very cool minimalist design with quite a few convenience features.

I read that an ex-BMW exec is now driving the design and lineup. Hyundai plans an Ionic 6 (sedan) and 7 (SUV), all of which sounds very BMW-ish to me.

what is its 0-60?
e-Niro: 6.2 seconds apparently. I only ever use it eco mode, that's fast enough and it beats anything ICEd of the Milton Keynes roundabouts (of which there are hundreds). It has a lot of torque steer though, being front wheel drive, it's dead easy to spin the wheels. The interior is conventional and almost exactly like the Optima (shit car, Passat by checkbox) but really works in this car. Knobs and switches for everything, I like that.

e-Niro: 6.2 seconds apparently. I only ever use it eco mode, that's fast enough and it beats anything ICEd of the Milton Keynes roundabouts (of which there are hundreds). It has a lot of torque steer though, being front wheel drive, it's dead easy to spin the wheels. The interior is conventional and almost exactly like the Optima (shit car, Passat by checkbox) but really works in this car. Knobs and switches for everything, I like that.
Shirley the battery will run out before it gets to 60?

advertisement

Back