advertisement

Kia? Really??

I was given a Kia loan car while I took my Holden in to the garage. It was a 2010 Rio 1.5 diesel. Really impressed actually with the way it pulled. Small car, torquey engine for the weight, was very happy on motorways and still had go at 85-90, allegedly...

Only niggle - no temp gauge. They said it has a warning light, but by the time that comes on it's too late!

Rented a hybrid Niro recently for a couple of weeks and was pleasantly surprised. Nice to drive and good quality interior. I would be quite tempted to revisit next time I am looking to buy a car.

I can see Craigendarroch from my home office window, there’s a few other fishies around here.

I'm reasonably nearby (by Cairngorms standards) in Tomintoul (about half the time).

I'm interested in an EV as our company has just signed up for one of the schemes where the payments are before tax, however range is still a bit of an issue for me as I travel between Edinburgh and Tomintoul every week. That's 160 miles door to door via the A9 but it'd be a fairly tough 160 miles for an EV in winter (and in winter with snow gates closed it's a fair bit longer). Add to that I need one big enough for my labrador to travel in the sort of luxury he's used to, and ideally an 4x4, then you're heading towards the more expensive end of the market. Even with the lease deal that's available that'd likely mean an increase in costs compared to my current ICE car (although I haven't done the sums yet as I'm awaiting details of the scheme).

Only niggle - no temp gauge. They said it has a warning light, but by the time that comes on it's too late!

In practice though, when was the last time you had a temperature warning in a modern car? I can't recall the last one I had - it was probably one of the shitty BL cars (maybe my Maestro) back in the 80's!

I'm reasonably nearby (by Cairngorms standards) in Tomintoul (about half the time).

I'm interested in an EV as our company has just signed up for one of the schemes where the payments are before tax, however range is still a bit of an issue for me as I travel between Edinburgh and Tomintoul every week. That's 160 miles door to door via the A9 but it'd be a fairly tough 160 miles for an EV in winter (and in winter with snow gates closed it's a fair bit longer). Add to that I need one big enough for my labrador to travel in the sort of luxury he's used to, and ideally an 4x4, then you're heading towards the more expensive end of the market. Even with the lease deal that's available that'd likely mean an increase in costs compared to my current ICE car (although I haven't done the sums yet as I'm awaiting details of the scheme).
Should try and organise a pfm meet next year - I'm visiting a fishie in Braemar next week and ColinL is not far away, we drop by each others places and a fishie lives right next door to me :)

Next year I'll be looking at replacing 1 or 2 company vans and Mrs AAs motor, will speak to my accountant and see if an EV or Hybrid makes sense, at moment we're all ICE.

I went kayaking the other day and passed a car being charged. Three hours later it was still there when I came back. It was being used as a parking space and nobody else could use it.

Should try and organise a pfm meet next year - I'm visiting a fishie in Braemar next week and ColinL is not far away, we drop by each others places and a fishie lives right next door to me :)

ColinL suggested the same when he dropped by to visit a few weeks back. It'd definitely be good to get something organised next year - I should have a proper hi-fi set-up in the cottage by then.

I went kayaking the other day and passed a car being charged. Three hours later it was still there when I came back. It was being used as a parking space and nobody else could use it.
That's easily solved by a car park attendant. If you arent plugged in, no parking. Ticket. If you are plugged in, you pay by the kWh and by the minute once full, to a rising rate. If you don't move your car within half an hour say of it going full, the rate goes up.

That's easily solved by a car park attendant. If you arent plugged in, no parking. Ticket. If you are plugged in, you pay by the kWh and by the minute once full, to a rising rate. If you don't move your car within half an hour say of it going full, the rate goes up.

It was one of the fancier Tesla so he either couldn’t give a f**k or couldn’t give a f**k. It is a fully automated car park. You get a voice at the barriers if you have lost your ticket or some such. The one saving grace is it’s free after 4pm…

Just learned that the Genesis GV60 is built on the same platform as the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5.

CA3-DBB44-45-E6-4323-9-B84-F0-ED7-B1-BDCBF.jpg

Not necessarily. If it was a lower speed charger, it could easily be still charging say a 7, 14 or even 22kw charger would take well over 3 hrs for a large charge. If it was a supercharger with the Tesla then they automatically charge you for staying after you have charged, called an idle fee.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/supercharger-idle-fee

The kia EV9 concept looks pretty funky too. Shades of Range Rover

https://insideevs.com/news/548673/kia-unveils-concept-ev9-300miles/

Kia are certainly on a hot streak! To my eyes, the EV9 looks mostly Telluride with some hints of Soul plus a dash or two of Tron. But I did say earlier that the ICE Telluride reminded me of a Range Rover! Funny, but the EV9 interior looks more Ioniq 5 than EV 6 to me.

Am starting to feel like other EV makers are playing catch-up in this segment ($50-75k). AFAICT, would have to move up to something boutique like a Lucid to find more impressive specs and tech.

My question is: would a 65 year old with relatively conservative tastes look and/or feel like a nob when driving something like this? Are they really aimed at a younger audience?

We had our test drive of the Kia EV6 on Saturday. We managed to do a fair number of miles on an assortment of local roads and came away deeply impressed. Very comfortable, quiet, fast (it was the "GT Line S" rear-wheel-drive version), and handles well. The dashboard was very futuristic and it took a while to figure out what it was telling me, but I wasn't inclined to fiddle with the myriad different adjustments and settings; suffice to say this car was fully loaded, and then some. When you turn a corner a round window opens up in the nearside or offside display, showing the blind spot on that side.
I spent a fair amount of time after the test drive looking over the car, & I really couldn't fault the design and build quality. It's pretty large inside, with plenty of space for stuff. The salesman was very un-bulsh*tty and helpful which helped us make our mind up, so looks like we'll order the same model we tried, for delivery in March.

We had our test drive of the Kia EV6 on Saturday. We managed to do a fair number of miles on an assortment of local roads and came away deeply impressed. Very comfortable, quiet, fast (it was the "GT Line S" rear-wheel-drive version), and handles well. The dashboard was very futuristic and it took a while to figure out what it was telling me, but I wasn't inclined to fiddle with the myriad different adjustments and settings; suffice to say this car was fully loaded, and then some. When you turn a corner a round window opens up in the nearside or offside display, showing the blind spot on that side.
I spent a fair amount of time after the test drive looking over the car, & I really couldn't fault the design and build quality. It's pretty large inside, with plenty of space for stuff. The salesman was very un-bulsh*tty and helpful which helped us make our mind up, so looks like we'll order the same model we tried, for delivery in March.

Good choice, one of the best EVs out there at the moment. You won't regret it.

I would never buy a Kia. Unless they had a factory in my country perhaps. Same goes with other car makes.
I wouldn’t buy a German car either for example, or any VAG group car for that matter.
The situation is different in countries where car manufacturing stopped years ago: you have no choice.

advertisement

Back