advertisement

Kentucky's Bourbon Trail

All the questions here are answered in the linked programme. After watching I really want to try some Ol' Pappy, although it's not cheap and hard to find in the uk.

I mix Whiskey and Bourbon, regardless of quality, with a little water as it opens up the flavours. And nothing wrong with a bourbon and coke although for that any basic quality bourbon is fine.

Thanks for posting Erik.

Sorry Joe. That was me just jumping in.

Is JD made from corn? And was it bourbon before it passed through the flavouring filter at the end of the process?

They say it isn't Bourbon because it's from outside Kentucky, but again, that's another popular myth because Bourbon can come from anywhere in the USA and actually has origins in French New Orleans.

I think it's mainly not a Bourbon because it's not aged for the regulatory time and the flavours are added artificially - allegedly. It is a McDonalds milkshake made from vegetable oil in the CAMRA milkshake equivalent's eyes, if you see what I mean. With Jack & Coke you have to ask which is spoiling which - in terms of fake-Disney drinks, it's a match made in heaven.

But I like it. No...I love it. :)

I thought it just had to be mainly made from corn spirit and aged for at least 2 years to qualify as bourbon.

It is a McDonalds milkshake made from vegetable oil in the CAMRA milkshake equivalent's eyes,
No such thing. McDo ice cream is dairy ice cream, believe it or not. I didn't believe it either, I still struggle to understand why. The BK stuff is too. Check it out - the description "dairy ice cream" in UK means that all the fat is dairy origin and it can't contain veg oil.

I never eat in McDo and BK but their ice creams are worth getting on the Mway stations from time to time.

Although I was talking about the shakes, I have just looked it up, and you are right. Something must have changed because I am sure they were vegetable oil at some time in the past.
McDonalds Strawberry shake:
milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, sweet whey, high-fructose corn syrup, guar gum, monoglycerides and diglycerides, cellulose gum, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, citric acid, E129 and:
strawberry flavour:
amyl acetate, amyl butyrate, amyl valerate, anethol, anisyl formate, benzyl acetate, benzyl isobutyrate, butyric acid, cinnamyl isobutyrate, cinnamyl valerate, cognac essential oil, diacetyl, dipropyl ketone, ethyl butyrate, ethyl cinnamate, ethyl heptanoate, ethyl heptylate, ethyl lactate, ethyl methylphenylglycidate, ethyl nitrate, ethyl propionate, ethyl valerate, heliotropin, hydroxyphrenyl- 2-butanone (10% solution in alcohol), ionone, isobutyl anthranilate, isobutyl butyrate, lemon essential oil, maltol, 4-methylacetophenone, methyl anthranilate, methyl benzoate, methyl cinnamate, methyl heptine carbonate, methyl naphthyl ketone, methyl salicylate, mint essential oil, neroli essential oil, nerolin, neryl isobutyrate, orris butter, phenethyl alcohol, rose, rum ether, undecalactone, vanillin and solvent.

McDonalds Strawberry shake:
milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, sweet whey, high-fructose corn syrup, guar gum, monoglycerides and diglycerides, cellulose gum, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, citric acid, E129 and:
strawberry flavour:
amyl acetate, amyl butyrate, amyl valerate, anethol, anisyl formate, benzyl acetate, benzyl isobutyrate, butyric acid, cinnamyl isobutyrate, cinnamyl valerate, cognac essential oil, diacetyl, dipropyl ketone, ethyl butyrate, ethyl cinnamate, ethyl heptanoate, ethyl heptylate, ethyl lactate, ethyl methylphenylglycidate, ethyl nitrate, ethyl propionate, ethyl valerate, heliotropin, hydroxyphrenyl- 2-butanone (10% solution in alcohol), ionone, isobutyl anthranilate, isobutyl butyrate, lemon essential oil, maltol, 4-methylacetophenone, methyl anthranilate, methyl benzoate, methyl cinnamate, methyl heptine carbonate, methyl naphthyl ketone, methyl salicylate, mint essential oil, neroli essential oil, nerolin, neryl isobutyrate, orris butter, phenethyl alcohol, rose, rum ether, undecalactone, vanillin and solvent.

Just like mom used to make. I think she prepared her guar gum from scratch.

Just watched the video, accompanied by an Eagle Rare. Thanks Erik.
I now need to try a Pappy Van Winkle someday.

I have Ol' Pappy (15 yr & 20 yr) for special occasions. My main stay is Buffalo Trace from my local grocery store.

advertisement

Back