advertisement

Kentucky's Bourbon Trail

ErikL

pfm Member
For vuk, matthewr, etc.---

My fav is still Ol' Pappy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been given a few bottles this Christmas, mostly Jack Daniels. One ordinary bottle of JD No.7, a bottle of Jack Daniels Hand Selected Single Barrel (45%), and sent to me by my mate in LA, a litre bottle of No.7. I was also given a bottle of Sazerac Rye (45%) which I haven't tried yet.

My favourite go-to Bourbon is Buffalo Trace, and my favourite American Whiskey of all time is Eagle Rare, of which I have a bottle safely hidden from visitors (can't get it in the UK). The Sazerac Rye is also from the Buffalo Trace distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky.

That's a great looking video. I'm going to watch it this evening.

I'll be in Tennessee this coming summer so may do the JD tour in Lynchburg.

For me, there are times when it is right to have a Scotch, and times when is is appropriate to only have Bourbon. They fulfil different functions for me and I'll never have one in the same evening that I have the other. There is no crossover and once my course is set for an evening, there is no changing it.

I can very highly recommend the sample jars set from this place:

http://www.masterofmalt.com/country/american-whiskey/

I once has a seven jar tasting set like this. It included a couple of corn whiskey Moonshine samples that were as clear as water. The only one I have left is Johnny Drum Private Stock at 50.5%, but there was one stronger than that.

One day I'll try the Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch. One day...

Interesting thread. I'd like to learn a bit about Bourbon etc. I've usually got a bottle of JD or JB knocking about though not much knowledge of anything else. I bought a bottle of the single barrel JD stuff a while back, which was very nice, but that's the only time I've ventured beyond No. 7 and whatever the standard JB is called.

A great cheap Bourbon is Golden Sun, but I'll be buggered if I can find it anywhere now. Very pale, very cheap, it is a good one to have within reach.

Lots of makers mark drunk when I worked in Texas but when in New York in 2009 I was introduced to Hudson Baby Bourbon when we ate a posh steakhouse called blackstones near where one of the guys lived. Very nice but very expensive.

Me too....I have always enjoyed JD and coke and suspect both this drink and my choice of mixer is frowned upon by those in the know (I never mix my Scotch with anything - neat and room temperature for me if it is a good one).

Me too....I have always enjoyed JD and coke and suspect both this drink and my choice of mixer is frowned upon by those in the know (I never mix my Scotch with anything - neat and room temperature for me if it is a good one).

Nah, Jacks & Coke is great, been drinking that since my teens!

I agree about Scotch.

Asked for JD & coke in a Texas bar and got a funny look, apparently it's only referred to as jack & coke over there.

Scotch tends to give me heart burn now although I do like a Highland Park every so often.

Drink of choice these days is a good quality rum (straight)

Nah, Jacks & Coke is great, been drinking that since my teens!

I agree about Scotch.

If you like JD & coke have you tried Knob Creek, tastes the same but much cheaper.

And yes it's a real name.

If some Kentucky Bubba is reading this, expect him to come over and open a can of whup-ass on you for mixing bourbon with Coke.

Joe

If some Kentucky Bubba is reading this, expect him to come over and open a can of whup-ass on you for mixing bourbon with Coke.

Joe

He could open a can of this

JD%20Coke%20Can%2010.jpg

Dude and Rich,

I lived in Kentucky for about 6 years and if someone mentioned pouring Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve into a glass with Coke, banjo music would begin to play, just before the whup-ass can was opened.

Joe

Joe

Well, for a start, Jack Daniels ain't a Bourbon, and secondly, it's from Tennessee.

(Here we go again...)

Rasher,

I know. I was replying to "Any bourbon and coke will do?" I probably should have quoted what I was replying to, but it's Sunday and I'm very lazy.

Doing my bit to lower the death rate / arse whuppin' rate in the UK, lest some Kentucky Bubba be reading this.

Joe

Well, for a start, Jack Daniels ain't a Bourbon, and secondly, it's from Tennessee.

(Here we go again...)

Is JD made from corn? And was it bourbon before it passed through the flavouring filter at the end of the process?

advertisement

Back