advertisement

Keith Emerson RIP

Just listened to Tarkus and Brain salad surgery i had forgotten how great they were. My 12 yr old daughter thought bbs was cool.

A few rock keyboard players have taken their own lives over the years, Woolly Wolstenholme, Graham Bond, Vincent Crane and now sadly, Keith.

Not the greatest ELP fan—damn those 'funny' songs—but having an ELP evening anyhow.

Emerson was the master of the distorted Hammond—I just love his playing on "The Endless Enigma" on Trilogy.

A great musician and showman—we may never see his like again.:(

Stephen

The influence on Dave's playing is easy to hear on the debut EGG album. Funnily enough, Dave had pretty much the same effect on me after seeing him play-and my first Hammond was a L100.

Stephen

The 43-year old Audio Magnetics cassette tape, upon which I recorded;

1. the first part of Karn Evil 9, from Alan Freeman's Saturday Show, with my ITT radio and ITT cassette portable, and

2. the Manticore documentary, from its Old Grey Whistle Test showing, with the same ITT cassette portable up against the TV loudspeaker.

I liked the Nice a lot and saw them once but, in common with several others, found ELP all a bit too much. However, I'm posting just to say that if any really big fan wants a slightly odd relic of Mr E's passing, I can happily pass it on. I have just come back from Japan with a few LPs in the suitcase. In one of the shop bags I found a freebie magazine: Osaka Billboard Live. And of course there on the cover is Mr E.
Any fan desperately need this? Just PM me with your address and I'll stick it in the post.

I miss Keith. Especially after a few drinks and finishing a good listening session with Brain Salad Surgery.

Wow didnt know that. Its so long ago...

RIP Keith. It was ELP who brought me to classical music with 'Pictures at an exhibition'.

advertisement

Back