advertisement

Keith Emerson RIP

I'm sorry to hear of Keith's passing, though TBH I preferred his work with the Nice to ELP.

ELP were my first foray into 'proper' music. At the age of 12 I heard Brain Salad Surgery and my life was changed forever. I grew up practicing the ELP logo on my school books and my canvas haver sack. My paper round facilitated further purchases of Trilogy and Pictures. Then came a mega save up for Welcome Back My Friends. They were gods to my young ears. Then they let me down with works 1 and even more so with Love Beach. Funnily I now play and love Works 2 more than any of their other albums. Years later, they played the Albert Hall broadcast live on BBC Radio, I was very ill in bed but buzzing at this, their first reunion in over a decade. Sadly, I became totally deaf in one ear that night never to get it back. My ability to hear stereo was ended and listening became a challenge. My audiophile started and ended (in the pure sense) with ELP. At times embarrassing, at times thrilling, Keith was a true inovator in technology and playing. His hands became crippled with pain (listen to in the Hot Seat - actually don't) to hear how limited his playing was. RIP Mr Emerson, thanks for the hoedown and trust that the apple blossom blooms in the windmills of your mind.

ELP were my first foray into 'proper' music. At the age of 12 I heard Brain Salad Surgery and my life was changed forever. I grew up practicing the ELP logo on my school books and my canvas haver sack. My paper round facilitated further purchases of Trilogy and Pictures. Then came a mega save up for Welcome Back My Friends. They were gods to my young ears. Then they let me down with works 1 and even more so with Love Beach. Funnily I now play and love Works 2 more than any of their other albums. Years later, they played the Albert Hall broadcast live on BBC Radio, I was very ill in bed but buzzing at this, their first reunion in over a decade. Sadly, I became totally deaf in one ear that night never to get it back. My ability to hear stereo was ended and listening became a challenge. My audiophile started and ended (in the pure sense) with ELP. At times embarrassing, at times thrilling, Keith was a true inovator in technology and playing. His hands became crippled with pain (listen to in the Hot Seat - actually don't) to hear how limited his playing was. RIP Mr Emerson, thanks for the hoedown and trust that the apple blossom blooms in the windmills of your mind.

I found your words incredibly touching this morning Mr Cafe. There may be something in my eye. Well done sir. That simply says it all.

Got a shock when I saw this this morning. The article said he had difficulties playing due to a degenerative disorder and was depressed. I thought maybe if he had got treatment that he wouldnt have not killed himself then I remembered Sir Edward Downes the conductor took himself off to Dignitas for similar reasons. Very sad.RIP.

I still, have the NME cut of BSS on a flexidisc. Brilliant. "Brain salad surgery, we made it for our NME". Poetry.

The article said he had difficulties playing due to a degenerative disorder and was depressed.

When I heard the news this morning I guessed something like this - I know he had suffered from playing problems before. Although I was only a fan of ELP's music for a couple of years they were the first rock band I saw (aged 14) and so played a big part in my musical life. Shocked and saddened.

I still, have the NME cut of BSS on a flexidisc. Brilliant. "Brain salad surgery, we made it for our NME". Poetry.
My older brother had that thing. I remember being absolutely fascinated by it as a child (the imagery and the way it opened and closed).

I've still got mine. And I feel like a complete prat because it's taken me this long to notice the pun! Classic!

Its certainly been a sombre time since i was telephoned last night and told. ELP helped me grow up as a seven year old. My sister, who is 7 years older than I got to go to the Liverpool Empire to see them in '74. My love for the band grew from about then to a bit of an addiction. I was lucky enough to meet Emo a couple of times. I won a competition to go to the 100 Club to see The Nice reform, and then on the subsequent tour I got to meet him again back stage at the Liverpool Philharmonic where we got to chat for a few mins after the concert. A lovely, lovely man. Went for a long run this morning to clear my head listening to WBMFTTSTNE, sobbed so much, but its got me through the day. Thanks Keith for the last 43 years. RIP.

advertisement

Back