advertisement

KEF LS60 - real or hoax?

I think the grey finish looks quite good. But i struggle to find the spot to plug in the tubes so probably not for me. But the proof is in the listening of course. Unless i glanced over it no roon endpoint support?

They are so inconsistent and tend to have faves.

Really? I struggle to find any WHF review bestowing less than 5* for absolutely every category.
i.e. a total waste of time if you want to use the reviews to try and discriminate good from bad.
But no different in that respect from reams of other magazines, hi-fi or otherwise, which may at least partly explain why they're all going down the drain. I haven't bought a magazine of any description for years.

Really? I struggle to find any WHF review bestowing less than 5* for absolutely every category.
i.e. a total waste of time if you want to use the reviews to try and discriminate good from bad.
But no different in that respect from reams of other magazines, hi-fi or otherwise, which may at least partly explain why they're all going down the drain. I haven't bought a magazine of any description for years.
Yes, really!

I don’t understand this direct quote from their review..

It’s a fine example of modern hi-fi and currently has no real rival if you’re in the market for a convenient yet premium solution.

Are they quite serious here?

...Research seems to indicate that our sensitivity to distortion in the bass and sub-bass is low. Of course this will be listener and music programme dependent but I would rather have proper bass reproduction instead of a crutch. ...
I might possibly agree with your second point but not everyone can accommodate loudspeakers of a suitable size.

And then, yes, one-figure measurements of distortion do not seem to correlate well with how people perceive audio. However I have experience listening to FM audio broadcasts with their mild level compression and preferring the same on Internet streaming without the level compression.

The change I perceive suggests the possibility that when level compression is the mechanism that underlies distortion, this can be readily identified if sufficient. That's why I think the combination of technologies here might be an interesting compromise for the right circumstances.

I might possibly agree with your second point but not everyone can accommodate loudspeakers of a suitable size.

And then, yes, one-figure measurements of distortion do not seem to correlate well with how people perceive audio. However I have experience listening to FM audio broadcasts with their mild level compression and preferring the same on Internet streaming without the level compression.

The change I perceive suggests the possibility that when level compression is the mechanism that underlies distortion, this can be readily identified if sufficient. That's why I think the combination of technologies here might be an interesting compromise for the right circumstances.

I would be interested in comparing the LS50s + 2x subs with the LS60s (which is an affordable baby Blade).

I agree that in a typically small UK sitting room a pair of quasi-fullrange speakers is more suitable than a 2.2 system. And the LS60 is an all-in-one system which makes even better in that sense.

Thanks!

Do you have a link to the new standmount? I can only see the LS60.

As my previous post and to add -

Just to be clear these (a new range of DSP active wireless loudspeakers which will include a standmount and two floorstanders) will be available from another brand :)

I think is was to do with longevity of the product and built in obsolescence.
Not surprised if the unresolved issues around the LS50 wireless 1 software/app were right. IF so that stuff is important to cut through new product hype.

advertisement

Back