advertisement

Kef 104/2 question

Thanks, the size seems uncommon, I ended up ordering some of these, are nylon but not sure that will make such a difference.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=261421941761
Fitted them now, they work fine I ordered M6 x 15mm x 2mm, might have got away with M5 but these are fine, I'm surprised at the difference having 4 on each side has made to the imaging, guess having the pairs at the bottom missing took me a little off axis. Or maybe it was cleaning up the connector clips.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Regarding the cube,Unlike the 105 and 107 with the 104.2 the cube was a later addition and from my experience an unnecessary addition.

Replacing the donuts is a ten minute job and requires very little skill, just a sharp knife and a donut kit. I can't remember where I got mine from, some guy in Holland I think, cost about £25.
The hardest part is getting the drivers out..

Considering their age just touching the donuts and they will disintegrate completely and you'll have a very serious cleaning job on your hands so best to be careful.

Jez, what are the implications of this in terms of how easy it is to drive the speaker, and the resultant load on the amp? What are the sonic advantages, theoretically?

It means the amp see's in effect a 4Ohm resistor. This means they won't interact with an SET or similarly high output impedance amp to give an uneven frequency response and that some amps may run a little cooler.

As this appears to be the all purpose 104/2 thread……

I will be pre-emptively changing the donuts and ferrofluid in my 104/2s in the coming weeks.

As the donut's sole job appears to be to keep dust and debris out of the voice coils of the woofers, I am assuming it's fine to only reinstate them in the lower woofer in each speaker.

Does that seem a plausible assumption?

cheers

advertisement

Back