advertisement

Kef 104/2 question

rvw67

pfm Member
I have a line on a pair of these and would like to know if these require a lot of power?
I currently run a naim 102/hicap/naspc
Naim 180, sources are naim cd5/flatcap
Onix bwd 1 tuner and lp12/nima/mose Hercules. I currently rotate 3 pairs of speakers linn keldiths,Epos es12 and Boston acoustic A400. The space is 12x12 that I listen in. I am very happy with my amplification and don’t want to pick these up and find out the naim can not drive them properly. Thoughts appreciated
Thanks john

Quite the opposite! Efficient and very easy load, like all of that Reference range. It is 4 Ohm though.
They have KEF's Conjugate load matching technology and seem like a simple 4 Ohm resistor to the amp.

Your NAP 180 has a transfo of either 430 or 500 va, it is ´supposed’ to be a 60 watts per channel (Naim is very conservative on these numbers !) so if the electrolytic capacitors are in good shape inside the amplifier, this will be quite enough power to drive these marvelous Kef ! Just make sure the amplifier has enough air on its top surface to allow proper cooling if you turn it loud.

I wander why Kef don’t make this speaker anymore, I really think this was their best product ever..........:D

Your NAP 180 has a transfo of either 430 or 500 va, it is ´supposed’ to be a 60 watts per channel (Naim is very conservative on these numbers !) so if the electrolytic capacitors are in good shape inside the amplifier, this will be quite enough power to drive these marvelous Kef ! Just make sure the amplifier has enough air on its top surface to allow proper cooling if you turn it loud.

I wander why Kef don’t make this speaker anymore, I really think this was their best product ever..........:D

I think that range was probably their best ever...

Even a 10WPC valve amp drives them very well indeed and to surprisingly high levels...

As long as your amp is happy with a 4ohm load, then you will be fine. They are quoted at 92dB/2m/2.84V so really quite efficient.

I used mine with both a ~10wpc Puresound A10 and a big ~100wpc Sony TA-F770ES. Both excellent but I found the 104/2s needed a bit of room behind them as they were a bit 'fruity' in the bass department.

Partly yes. I spoke to a KEF designer who said in his opinion the Reference 105/3 I have (unfortunately no longer working correctly and parts not available) was the best speaker KEF had ever made... could be he was on that project and biased of course... but he said the conjugate load matched crossovers were too expensive and, wait for it... the coupled cavity bass loading was unpopular with a certain type of customer because they'ed spent all that money and wanted their mates to be able to see the big woofers!! (They are internal).

All Kef Reference series of that era were magnificent loudspeakers. My 105.4 had very good bass extension, a very natural mid-range and imaged better than ProAc Reference 8 sigs.

All Kef Reference series of that era were magnificent loudspeakers. My 105.4 had very good bass extension, a very natural mid-range and imaged better than ProAc Reference 8 sigs.

Spot on. All the drivers in that era Reference's were matched not only as pairs but to the other drivers in that speaker and KEF kept a record of each drivers specs so they could match it if it ever needed replacement. Obviously not for long enough though as a replacement tweeter for one of my 105/3's is pure unobtainium!

It surprises me that the Reference 101 is never mentioned when LS3/5A type things are discussed.... I remember that KEF used to do this "trick" at hi fi shows where they put a pair of 101's alongside a pair of 105's (original dalek ones) and had spotlights on the 105 hinting it was them playing... and of course then revealed it was the tiny 101's all along!

Both had KEF's "S-STOP" technology which protected the drive units from overload. I'm surprised they didn't keep that going...

I remember being well impressed with Kef 104.2's half a life time ago at a Hi Fi Show in London . As a naim user I would be hard pressed to accommodate a Kef Kube especially since I'm using the tape loop on my pre amp for a Headline Headphone amp .
Question , Does the Kube make a worthwile improvment ? I often see 104.2's without them .
And has anyone had experience with the Kef 103.3 speaker .

I quite fancy a winter restoration project.

I have had my 104/2s since new - fantastically good speakers. I tried a KUbe & it muddied the sound IMHO - got rid of it quick!

Julian

Spot on. All the drivers in that era Reference's were matched not only as pairs but to the other drivers in that speaker and KEF kept a record of each drivers specs so they could match it if it ever needed replacement. Obviously not for long enough though as a replacement tweeter for one of my 105/3's is pure unobtainium!

It surprises me that the Reference 101 is never mentioned when LS3/5A type things are discussed.... I remember that KEF used to do this "trick" at hi fi shows where they put a pair of 101's alongside a pair of 105's (original dalek ones) and had spotlights on the 105 hinting it was them playing... and of course then revealed it was the tiny 101's all along!

Both had KEF's "S-STOP" technology which protected the drive units from overload. I'm surprised they didn't keep that going...

The Ref 101 are beautiful, and can take lots of watts without collapsing or hitting the stops. I think they are spec'ed higher than the usual 3/5A's. Or so I say to myself.
I've been looking for bookshelf speakers in a large room and in a study, for a year now. My achievements so far are Ref 101 and Kube'd Ref 102/1 attained through two awkward circular deals.

Regarding the original question. I've had 104/2 in the 90's. The Nait2 was nice and round but bass was a little loose for my taste. Not sure if that was the room or the 4Ohms.
My feeling is that the stronger and drier 180 should fit perfectly.

When working perfectly, these are absolutely the best speakers I have ever heard - that includes ESLs.

I bought mine here with new donuts and tweeters and recapped crossovers.

But, have any other owners here had a problem with tweeters blowing? 104/2's are rated to 112dB @ 1m and, whilst I like to play them loud, I don't think I'm getting anywhere near that, but now suspect I may be in need of new tweeters as they have lost some of their sparkle. The one's I'm using are the vifa/scanspeak replacements which are specced to 100W, 4 ohms and 92dB (These seem to be the only replacement available in the UK, since Morel stopped making their 4 ohm tweeter).

Do these have a lower power handling to the original T33's? Should I be keeping the volume lower? I'm driving them with a Quad QSP and previously with a 520 that would go into thermal cutout before reaching the 200W these are rated at.

cheers all

PS: It's a bit of a functional oversight that the pinkfish search facility doesn't allow users to search for the term 'Kef'!

Thanks Julian , have you replaced the foam donuts in your pair of 104 /2 .

No. never touched them; anyway I wouldn't know how! I don't know what I would do if they ever die on me. Living in France as I do makes it even more difficult.

Julian

The foam mentioned is the Achilles heel of these speakers as it will, no matter what you do, rot away and therefore it must be replaced. I would be very surprised if that time had not now passed.

I have 102/2’s and the foam seems fine. Can’t say whether or not they were ever refoamed...and I sure as hell can speak to the condition of that internal driver.

advertisement

Back