advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flatpopely,

Like you, I have always struggled to gain satisfaction from CD (easy with vinyl), so I'm am utterly intrigued by this thread.

What is it about this DAC/Amp's performance that has won you over, in respect of CD replay?

It was the lack of hardness and the sweetness to the treble that really struck me!

Detail retrieval was also quite shocking in how much more I could hear compared to before . Bottom line is I listen to digital (CD/Tidal) now as much as vinyl, can't say really anymore.

The only DAC I've found that uses JVC's K2 chipset after a quick Google is the Reimyo DAP 777. There's one on German eBay now with a BIN of a mere €2200 :eek:
Nick

I never said it would be cheap :)

Actually, the Reimyo is a version of the high-end players and DACs Victor made themselves (badged I should say, since I suspect quite strongly that Reimyo are built by exactly the same people who built the Victor stuff) in the 90's.

Until very recently I owned an XL-Z999. It had a built-in DAC and it was very good. It was also gigantic (and tremendous), so had to go. I now use a small, but also top-loading/puck-equipped Sony of about the same vintage. It, too, is very good.

The stand alone DAC was the XP-DA 999 or something like that.

Here's a photo of the DAC stage from the CDP:

f.jpg

These were not cheap new, and are not cheap S/H.

I never said it would be cheap :)

Actually, the Reimyo is a version of the high-end players and DACs Victor made themselves (badged I should say, since I suspect quite strongly that Reimyo are built by exactly the same people who built the Victor stuff) in the 90's.

Until very recently I owned an XL-Z999. It had a built-in DAC and was it was very good. It was also gigantic (and tremendous), so had to go. I now use a small, but also top-loading/puck-equipped Sony of about the same vintage. It, too, is very good.

The stand alone DAC was the XP-DA 999 or something like that.

Here's a photo of the DAC stage from the CDP:

f.jpg

These were not cheap new, and are not cheap S/H.

Thanks Joel. Yes it was the XP-DA 999 that was made by Victor, the Victor brand suggesting that it was a Japan-only product. Victor made some seriously high-end components for the domestic market, none of which made it over here.

Regards,
Nick

Direct or through ebay?

Also, any Customs' hassles/costs involved?

Through eBay. Chap was excellent to deal with - quick dispatch and no probs with Customs (I paid over the phone). You need a step-down transformer to run it - about £50. Customs costs were very reasonable indeed :)

Thanks Joel. Yes it was the XP-DA 999 that was made by Victor, the Victor brand suggesting that it was a Japan-only product. Victor made some seriously high-end components for the domestic market, none of which made it over here.
Retail pricing was in Accuphase territory (500,000 JPY and up), and so was the weight: my player weighed in at 25kgs. All of which would have made export uneconomic in the 90s, early 00s.
My Victor CD player was great, and it was - for a time - amusing to have a CD player that was massively larger than my record player. The amusement eventually wore off, and now CDP and TT are of a similar scale.
I think Reimyo are still going, but are firmly in 6Loons territory now. If you get my drift...
BTW, Hifido have the sister CDP to the JVC amp on this thread for sale atm. Looks very nice...

I didn't, but someone that's been following this thread almost certainly did. If I were a betting man...

Any news........

Hi,
Well have paid the customs duty (a lot less than expected :)), and have arranged for delivery on Tuesday as I shall be in then to receive it. Its first outing will be with a Philips CD753 via coaxial input and Scanspeak drivers in Ruark Swordsman cabinets (Chord Odyssey 2 cables).
I also saw the listing on ebay for the one that got pulled today, it looked a bit dodgy to me initially due to the very minimal description. As you say maybe someone has bought it, as I was going to bid for it myself (one in each system then...!) Will let you know how it goes with the JVC next week. Cheers.
PS - there are a couple of the XL1050 cd players with the K2 dac on USA Ebay at the moment.

Just found the VE Day concert on Radio 2 - sounds amazing via the JVC K2 DAC :D Very good reproduction of reverb even with my small speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back