advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally hooked up the rjc 3 headphone amp into the JVC to compare it with the internal circuit. The rjc is a fair bit better to be honest which I guess is what I was secretly hoping for - it's a little work of art and I'd be loathed to part with it. Into my Grado 325is it's more transparent across the board and seems to have a more extended treble. That said the JVC has is by no means disgraced - it's the best integrated headphone sound I've heard.

I might plug my Headdbox II into it again, but I so rarely listen via headphones the extra box may be a step too far!

It's a lovely little bit of kit. The build for the money is ridiculously good and it sounds fantastic. Still I prefer the JVC when I'm just playing odd tracks - the remote volume control is a boon!

So I tried my Headbox II and it sounded different, not better, just different.

The HII had slightly more air but less dynamics than the JVC.

I want a combination of both........but I don't use cans that often and TBH the combo of the JVC and Grado RS2s makes me enjoy music!

Hi,
Nice thread! It made me reconnect my Ax-1100, no remote is a big minus for me,
I always liked the sound, all this power, and is dead quiet, but IMHO it lacks a bit of musicality. They designed it to sound flat, maybe it should be paired with better speakers, but all I have now are some entry level bookshelves.
Has anybody here compared these JVC to any modern amplifier?
I thought the JVC ax-1100 was TOTL but only in Europe,
JVC AX-1100 = Victor Ax-990, while Victor Ax-1100 is totally a different monster, it goes from 110Wx2 to 150Wx2, most of specifications are better and from 15kg of the JVC to 22kg,

http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/amp/ax-990.html
http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/amp/ax-1100.html

Hey flatpopely, any news on the Jap amp bake-off that was mentioned way back near the beginning of the thread?

Regards,
Nick

Well, the beastie arrived unscathed from Canada. I was unprepared for how big and heavy it is, makes my old Naim amps look like wimps. Funny to unbox a 16 year old amp that is brand new, even the batteries that cane with the remote hadn't leaked and work. Good job they were not the current generation Duracells that seem to vomit acid at the slightest provocation.

A couple of surprises - looks like the speaker terminals will only work with bare wire, and given the heft of the amp, the remote is a wimpy little thing. Power lead is in typical Japanese fashion captive, so no exotic power cords for this one.

Powered on, no smoke or smells. I'll leave her on for a few hours then check offset before connecting any speakers.

Update - no dice, problem with one channel. Constant volume independent 'howling' plus volume dependent loud hiss on channel 1.

Refund and return requested.

Darn it, I was looking forward to trying out this amp!

Quick Update: Great seller, he is shipping a replacement. Fingers crossed this one is OK.

Sorry to hear yours was a duff one. Good news about the replacement. I am also intrigued by what happens to the first unit, are you going to have to ship it back?

A couple of surprises - looks like the speaker terminals will only work with bare wire, and given the heft of the amp, the remote is a wimpy little thing. Power lead is in typical Japanese fashion captive, so no exotic power cords for this one.

When your replacement arrives, try this: I found that I could wind the speaker connectors out and slide the banana plugs fitted to my speaker cables in and tighten up the connectors again. That worked fine and meant I didn't have to cut the plugs off the cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back