advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they logged the request Jack?
If not, visit a different branch and adjust plan accordingly ;)

Yeah, they have Rob.

A company called The FX Group called me today. They wanted the serial number of the set, so they could order the appropriate spare part.

They should be around tomorrow to fix the set. Hopefully John Lewis and their insurance breaking mate, god, won't charge me.

Jack

Is it any coincidence that three of the recent posters have a K in their names? Dan K, istari_knight and Hempknight; K,K,K and all talking about a dac called a K2...hmmmm

And is it a coincidence that the same digital input is broken on the K2 and the 1010, which featured last week?

Jack

Are you fond of conspiracy theories ? :D

In all seriousness though I find it difficult to believe the K2 DAC makes jot all difference when all is said and done. Having conducted blind level matched listening tests I could tell no difference whatsoever between DPA & Meridian DAC's vs a PS3's analogue output... I was shocked, but pleased I had one thing less to worry about in hifi land.

Of course some may claim to hear a difference and fair play to them but if that difference is heard via sighted listening forgive me for taking it with a pinch of salt.

In all seriousness though I find it difficult to believe the K2 DAC makes jot all difference when all is said and done. Having conducted blind level matched listening tests I could tell no difference whatsoever between DPA & Meridian DAC's vs a PS3's analogue output... I was shocked, but pleased I had one thing less to worry about in hifi land.

Of course some may claim to hear a difference and fair play to them but if that difference is heard via sighted listening forgive me for taking it with a pinch of salt.

Too many conspiracy theories around so I don't know which to believe in any more. On the subject of things called the K2, does anyone remember when Fullers launched a larger called K2 prior to an awful accident on the mountain. I think they rapidly dropped or re-branded it.

Back to the K2 dac, I can only say that it has made a significant difference to CD replay in my house. The amp itself is great, the K2 makes it something a bit special. Trouble is, like many of us here, I have limited exposure to all these new fangled things. I tend to stick to what I know works for me with an occasional foray off-(my)-piste. This current foray has shown me that dacs do seem to make a difference.

I could never hear to much difference between my CD players but did hear a difference when I switched between my Cambridge 751 BD bluray player ( which has a highly rated dac ) And the K2, not only me but my ultra cynical mate noticed a more solid and beefed up sound with better detail .

LOL! So you did buy it. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as the rest of us on this thread.

The beast arrived today and I've spent only a little time enjoying it. Will be using it in my AV/Media system for the time being, which under utilises its capabilities, but that's where I want it right now. Currently partnering it with some Royd Edens, although they'll probably be replaced with MkI Kans when refurbished or some Kan clones that I'm in the process of putting together. Only going to use the digital (optical) from the TV in this system, so I'm bound to move it at some point to hear how the rest sounds.

Initial impressions are very favourable.:D:D:D

It's impossible to tell with the 1010 due to the 'direct' function on digital.

But no matter as from source (CD, PC) to speakers the JVC AX-Z1010 is superb and the K2 DAC makes digital sound better than I have ever heard it sound before in my house.

I do find myself listening to CD a lot more since the JVC arrived. It sounds a lot better as a source now than previously.

Sorry to bang, on and on about this amp but............

Tangerine Dream 'Tangram' has me on the verge of tears, it's so beautiful.

The phono stage is stellar!

Sorry to bang, on and on about this amp but............

Tangerine Dream 'Tangram' has me on the verge of tears, it's so beautiful.

The phono stage is stellar!

I do know what you mean. I was listening to HP Lovecraft II last night on CD and the way it was presented was astonishing. This album had a pretty complex production for its day and this amp really gets into the detail and the layers.

On a technical/practical note, my amp runs fairly warm, not hot like a class A amp but it does give off some heat. However it has a few areas, one in particular, that runs warmer than the rest; has anyone else noticed this?

Mine runs hot!

Left hand side where the regulator board is and in the middle where the power transistors are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back