advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the offer Simon. I'll have a look and if things don't look as they should be I'll sort something with Andrew when convenient. To be honest I've got mates popping in to have a listen this week and a proper session on Saturday - can't part with it yet!

Anybody fancy trying an absolutely top-notch jap integrated there's a Sansui 907 MRX on eBay. Ironically enough this is exactly the model I was looking for before I bought the JVC. A bit tatty cosmetically but a truly wonderful amp.

No idea but the Sansui buffs rave about them. It's the K2 DAC you'd be missing I think and servicing would be even more of an issue than it is with the JVC. I think the 907s were Japan only due to them being so expensive.

Quite a lot of the best Japanese stuff never made it outside of Japan. Europe and the US got a lot more than we did - the UK bias against high-end Japanese hifi meant a lot of manufacturers simply didn't bother trying to sell their best wares in the UK. I've read somewhere that Sansui sold only 3 of the lesser 707DRs in the UK (despite a decent review in the UK press) and 2 of those were bought by Sansui employees! We never got the Sansui 'Mos Limited' amps or other items like the Pioneer/Exclusive P3 or the Yamaha GT2000 turntables. It's only now we're starting to discover what these stunning bits of equipment can actually do that the true scale of our folly is becoming apparent.

Is the shift from 60hz (120volt) to 50hz (240volt) a problem?

Hi,
I am too very interested to take the plunge on one of those JVC amps, and are using step down transformers on many of my items at the moment (Technics SL1000MK2, SL1015), but those items are worldwide models and can take both 50hz and 60hz voltage supplies.

What worries me is that this JVC is 60Hz only. On the UK 50hz voltage supply, is this safe? Would it blow up on me? All of the voltage convertors just convert the voltage up or down, not the frequency. So this JVC amp would get 110v or 120v whichever it is, but at 50hz if plugged into the UK mains.

Please help!!!

Cheers
Julian

PS - on the subject of jap crap, currently listening to my second system of SONY CDP715E, KENWOOD L1000M, and KENWOOD LS880G speakers. Sound fab!!

We are starting to go nuts over some of their stuff, just as they go nuts over some of our stuff. Such is life.

I'm joking my NAIT n KANs are not going anywhere!

Even though it's totally and utterly mullered by the 1010!

Hi,
I am too very interested to take the plunge on one of those JVC amps, and are using step down transformers on many of my items at the moment (Technics SL1000MK2, SL1015), but those items are worldwide models and can take both 50hz and 60hz voltage supplies.

What worries me is that this JVC is 60Hz only. On the UK 50hz voltage supply, is this safe? Would it blow up on me? All of the voltage convertors just convert the voltage up or down, not the frequency. So this JVC amp would get 110v or 120v whichever it is, but at 50hz if plugged into the UK mains.

Please help!!!

Cheers
Julian

PS - on the subject of jap crap, currently listening to my second system of SONY CDP715E, KENWOOD L1000M, and KENWOOD LS880G speakers. Sound fab!!

Well,there are two people on here with NOS JVC amps with 60Hz transformers and they seem to be ok, go for it.

Perhaps they could link to the step down transformers they bought.

Just taken the plunge, BUY IT NOW has just been pressed.
Lets hope it arrives fast and doesn't blow up on the UK Voltage frequency.
Even better, the seller is discounting them a bit now, less than £600 exc shipping and customs with the current exchange rate!!

Is the coax digital input recommended over the optical? I will need to get myself a cable.

I only have a coaxial cable but the HQ 320 k stream of 6 Music sounds fantastic through the K2 DAC.

I use TIDAL all the time.

Listen to Lemolo 'On and Off again' and you'll really get what the K2 does!

I use it via optical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back