advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did have a wobble with the JVC but after a few days I realised it was much more accrate to the source than the NAIM.

No wobble here Andrew - the white flags have been raised........no contest in terms of which is better really. The only thing the exposures can vaguely compete on now is heavy rock where their 'down and dirty' boogie is great and their 'graininess' is less of a factor. Even then the JVC's bass is extending and becoming weightier as time goes on - it can certainly rock okay. Can't believe where the noise floor has gone - the lack of 'scuzz' is uncanny. Oh, many thanks by the way- good call on this amp!!!!!!

This is wonderful stuff to read :)
What you are all hearing is the benefit of properly designed electronics, clean, flat, non-quirky, amplification with enough current and voltage to drive your loads.

Let it be an eye opener to the hundreds of other good but forgotten amplifiers out there.

Then consider the other implication. For starters, the phono stages in these things are tucked away inside the box and run on a spur from the main supply. No external 500va power supplies with massive dedicated caps and super regulation.....and yet they run clean and quiet, and sound great.

No wobble here Andrew - the white flags have been raised........no contest in terms of which is better really. The only thing the exposures can vaguely compete on now is heavy rock where their 'down and dirty' boogie is great and their 'graininess' is less of a factor. Even then the JVC's bass is extending and becoming weightier as time goes on - it can certainly rock okay. Can't believe where the noise floor has gone - the lack of 'scuzz' is uncanny. Oh, many thanks by the way- good call on this amp!!!!!!

Turn the bass control to 3 o'clock!

Happy you like it. It's nice to share stuff and for it actually to make people like music more.

What you are all hearing is the benefit of properly designed electronics, clean, flat, non-quirky, amplification with enough current and voltage to drive your loads.

Let it be an eye opener to the hundreds of other good but forgotten amplifiers out there.

Then consider the other implication. For starters, the phono stages in these things are tucked away inside the box and run on a spur from the main supply. No external 500va power supplies with massive dedicated caps and super regulation.....and yet they run clean and quiet, and sound great.

Robert.

The JVC is loads better than the NAIM gear I had BUT....

NAIM gear sounds great......I ran it for 20 years.

All amps do not sound the same, I think I you would agree :D

My regret is that I did not get into this gear 30 years ago.

Rob, I've read all of the posts on this thread and could well be looking for a JVC, especially an AX-Z1010TN, when I move house later in the year. The AX-4 you played me was impressive enough.

Jack

Andrew,

You are quite right, amps do not sound the same.

It is a good thing though you have found one that floats your boat.

That has crossed my mind.

Jack

Jack - get in there quick if you can. I agree with Andrew that it's the K2 DAC that makes this amp really special and I don't think it is implemented on any other amp. Don't get me wrong the phono stage is very good indeed but my existing amps are closer to it on vinyl. On CD they are well and truly toasted by the JVC.

You might that a couple of caps have leaked on the phono stage, replace them and phono is as good as the K2......yes really!

Also a couple on the PSU section had gone on mine, all else were good.

I'll have a look but as far as replacing caps goes I wouldn't have a clue! Vinyl doesn't sound worse than CD on the JVC and I'm definitely hearing things on LP I haven't heard before on the Exposures - I think its just that the K2 stuff makes CD so much better.

There are a lot or large integrated Japanese amps with built in dacs from 88-91, seems to have been a trend. My Akai AM-93 beat my Marantz PM7200 hands down, while the JVC is the best implementation I have seen (really wanna hear one) there are plenty of other digital classics out there.

There are a lot or large integrated Japanese amps with built in dacs from 88-91, seems to have been a trend. My Akai AM-93 beat my Marantz PM7200 hands down, while the JVC is the best implementation I have seen (really wanna hear one) there are plenty of other digital classics out there.

If you are ever near York you are welcome to have a listen.

Andrew.

That's a very kind offer Andrew - I'll get it opened up next week and have a look. If there looks to be a problem I'll shout!! I'm in Sheffield so I could bring it up quite easily!

On the reg board I had the two Muse caps leaking, brown stuff around the base and the same in the phono 'EQ' board on two of the Muse caps.

Taff I could probably drop it off for you, I need to call by Andrews this week to collect some naim shoebox cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back