advertisement

Julian Assange arrested

Good to see Corbyn has come out publically against extradition now too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47904837

It's right for Corbyn, and therefore Labour I guess, to be against the extradition of Assange to America. The latter's lawyer captures why.

"Assange's lawyer, Jennifer Robinson, said they would be fighting the extradition request. She said it set a "dangerous precedent" where any journalist could face US charges for "publishing truthful information about the United States".

"She said she had visited Assange in the police cells where he thanked supporters and said: "I told you so."

"Assange had predicted that he would face extradition to the US if he left the embassy."

It was obvious an attempt to extradite Assange would happen. This is why he refused, he said, to go back to Sweden to be interviewed about allegations of rape and molestation. I personally think he should have trusted the Swedish legal system. He undermined his credibility by not going.

I am inclined to believe what Carole Cadwalladr has talked and written about for years: that there is an ideological and/or financial link between Assange, Wikileaks, Cambridge Analytica, Trump, Putin, Fagage, UKIP, Aaron Banks and the rest of them.

Tony put up a link to Carole's 2017 Guardian article Trump, Assange, Bannon, Farage… bound together in an unholy alliance a few pages ago. It is worth reading. As time has passed more and more of her deductions and predictions have turned out to be true. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...nnon-farage-bound-together-in-unholy-alliance

Jack

How is it possible for someone who blatantly abused political asylum to hide from rape allegations from one of the most fair, decent and liberal countries on earth to be seen in a good light? Seven years of spineless cowering and grandstanding. Seven years of tax-payer financed police presence outside.

That’s before we even begin to contemplate how he later acted for alt-right forces, foreign actors etc and turned his once great website idea into something almost as biased, grubby, manipulative and partisan as Breitbart, RT, Press TV, Fox News or whatever. Sure, there are no charges he can face for this, no international laws forcing unbiased publishing, and I fully respect and accept that. It was his website to destroy as he wished, but it leaves him with less than zero credibility in the eyes of many of those who initially supported the Wikileaks project such as myself. He really sold-out in the most repulsive way imaginable.
I'm not saying he should be seen in a good light either.
The second paragraph is not relevant.

It's right for Corbyn, and therefore Labour I guess, to be against the extradition of Assange to America. The latter's lawyer captures why.

"Assange's lawyer, Jennifer Robinson, said they would be fighting the extradition request. She said it set a "dangerous precedent" where any journalist could face US charges for "publishing truthful information about the United States".

"She said she had visited Assange in the police cells where he thanked supporters and said: "I told you so."

"Assange had predicted that he would face extradition to the US if he left the embassy."

It was obvious an attempt at extradite Assange would happen. He argued this is why he wouldn't go back to Sweden to be interviewed about allegations of rape and molestation. I personally think he should have trusted the Swedish legal system. He started undermined his credibility by not going.

I am inclined to believe what Carole Cadwallrd has talked and written about for years: that there is an ideological and/or financial link between Assange, Wikileaks, Cambridge Analytica, Trump, Putin, Fagage, UKIP, Aaron Banks and the rest of them.

Tony put up a link to Carole's 2017 Guardian article Trump, Assange, Bannon, Farage… bound together in an unholy alliance a few pages ago. It is worth reading. As time has passed more and more of her deductions and predictions have turned out to be true. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...nnon-farage-bound-together-in-unholy-alliance

Jack

This simply shows what a dangerous individual Corbyn is, not just for the UK's economy but for world safety. The Mabbott agreeing with him falls in the same category.

Both should be axed immediately.

Perhaps the CPS blocked it because the UK government wanted Assange extradited to America.

If Sweden interviewed Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy, it would close down the chance of arresting him when he travelled back to Stockholm.

Jack

So you can see why he was concerned what would happen if he left the Embassy. he apparently offered a way to address the concerns of the Swedish prosecutor but was rebuffed. That must have seemed to him that what you wrote above was true.

The problem here is that many seem obsessed by his personality rather than the bigger issues.

Stephen

Perhaps the CPS blocked it because the UK government wanted Assange extradited to America.

If Sweden interviewed Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy, it would close down the chance of arresting him when he travelled back to Stockholm.

Jack

Under EU surely he would have same human rights protection anywhere within the Union?

"It is false and defamatory to suggest that Julian Assange is, or has ever been, charged with an offence by the United Kingdom or Sweden"
He evaded an arrest warrant, the above neatly avoids that!

From wiki:
On 18 November 2010, Marianne Ny ordered the detention of Julian Assange on suspicion of rape, three cases of sexual molestation and unlawful coercion. The Stockholm District Court acceded to the order and issued a European Arrest Warrant to execute it.[8] The warrant was appealed to the Svea Court of Appeal which upheld its issuance, but lowered it to suspicion of rape of a lesser degree, unlawful coercion and two cases of sexual molestation rather than three.[20][21] The warrant was also appealed to the Supreme Court of Sweden, which decided not to hear the case.[22] Assange's legal team argued that there is no such thing as "minor rape", that "rape" is a mistranslation from Swedish, and that the allegations given do not meet the English or European legal definition of "rape".[23]

At this time Assange had been living in the United Kingdom for 1–2 months. An extradition hearing took place in an English court in February 2011 to consider an application by Swedish authorities for the extradition of Assange to Sweden. The outcome of the hearing was announced on 24 February 2011, when the extradition warrant was upheld. Assange appealed to the High Court. On 2 November 2011, the court upheld the extradition decision and rejected all four grounds for the appeal as presented by Assange's legal representatives. £19,000 costs was also awarded against Assange. On 5 December 2011, Assange was refused permission by the High Court to appeal to the Supreme Court. The High Court certified that his case raised a point of law of general public importance. The Supreme Court subsequently granted permission to appeal,[24] and heard the appeal on 1 and 2 February 2012.[25] The court reserved its judgment and dismissed the appeal on 30 May 2012.[26] Assange has said the investigation is "without basis". He remained on conditional bail in the United Kingdom.[12][not in citation given][27][dead link][28][not in citation given] On 19 June 2012, Assange sought refuge at Ecuador's Embassy in London and was granted temporary asylum. On 16 August 2012, he was granted full asylum by the Ecuadorian government but has been unable to leave the embassy without being arrested.

"It is false and defamatory to suggest that Julian Assange is, or has ever been, charged with an offence by the United Kingdom or Sweden"
He evaded an arrest warrant, the above neatly avoids that!

Then perhaps you would like to go through the list and give advice to members here on what is considered false and defammatory (you know, just to protect the reputation of PFM) and what is fair comment. I'm sure that some them have arisen in the last 24 hours!

I think he just wants a change of scenery. Couple of weeks in a UK prison cell, some different food, then off to Sweden for a short break, again new cell and some local food. Then off for the big adventure in the US, though I get the feeling things might not be quite so comfortable there.

I wonder if we'll ever get a history exam question on the basis of wikileaks and it's practical impact on political and government behaviour in the 21st century. I have a feeling we won't; it will be bundled in to the same corner of history as conspiracy theories. Assange and journalism in the same sentence is somewhat optimistic.

Then perhaps you would like to go through the list and give advice to members here on what is considered false and defammatory (you know, just to protect the reputation of PFM) and what is fair comment. I'm sure that some them have arisen in the last 24 hours!
No one, to my knowledge, on PFM has accused him of anything that is untrue.

advertisement

Back