advertisement

Julian Assange arrested

News is coming in that Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian Embassy for bail violations. https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-11/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-arrested-at-ecuadorian-embassy/

"Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy.

"He has been taken into custody at a central London police station where he will remain, before being presented before Westminster Magistrates' Court as soon as is possible.

"Officers were invited into the embassy by the Ambassador, following the Ecuadorian government's withdrawal of asylum."

It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Jack

Last edited:
For breach of asylum conditions. Police were invited in by the Ecuadorian authorities .

Ah, guess they got fed up with his cat pissing everywhere.

Excellent news! Hopefully we can now stop wasting money positioning police officers outside that embassy 24/7 to ensure the cowardly corrupt shit didn’t escape from his stinky cupboard. Hope he gets exactly what he deserves (whatever that is, but a court of law will hopefully get the chance to decide).

Shame this didn't happen a few months ago so that Mueller could have jumped on the plane here.

He's heading for Gitmo.

I very much doubt it given he so obviously helped Trump get elected! He’ll no doubt be put through a couple of show-trials, get off with a fancy multi-$million ‘OJ’ style legal team and then go onto a career as a slimy TV guest gobshite.

It will be another interesting test of how things actually work in the UK in 2019. There has been little evidence recently of a rational compassionate interpretation of the rule of law most of us would probably like to see. Let's hope they get this one reasonably right but I am not hopeful.

I very much doubt it given he so obviously helped Trump get elected! He’ll no doubt be put through a couple of show-trials, get off with a fancy multi-$million ‘OJ’ style legal team and then go onto a career as a slimy TV guest gobshite.

Sorry, don't agree. He's posted US miltary secrets online and Trump won't be in office for ever!
If he doesn't go to Gitmo then he could end up in Leavenworth.

It will be another interesting test of how things actually work in the UK in 2019. There has been little evidence recently of a rational compassionate interpretation of the rule of law most of us would probably like to see. Let's hope they get this one reasonably right but I am not hopeful.

He should not face extradition if there is a potential of capital punishment.

Sorry, don't agree. He's posted US miltary secrets online and Trump won't be in office for ever!

It wouldn’t surprise me if Trump won another term, and Manning, who stole/leaked the military data (a far bigger ‘crime’ than publishing) never ended up in Guantanamo and has since been pardoned by Obama. Also don’t forget that the Guardian published too, and no one is in jail there.

He'll keep his mouth shut get sentenced and then magically get a pardon from Dumpf

He should not face extradition if there is a potential of capital punishment.

According to James Ball, there have been assurances he won’t. “This is carefully phrased: Ecuador sought and received guarantees Assange wouldn’t be extradited where he could face “torture or the death penalty”. That doesn’t rule out US extradition – it just means the US would have to rule out the death penalty.” https://mobile.twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1116283277411790849

According to James Ball, there have been assurances he won’t. “This is carefully phrased: Ecuador sought and received guarantees Assange wouldn’t be extradited where he could face “torture or the death penalty”. That doesn’t rule out US extradition – it just means the US would have to rule out the death penalty.” https://mobile.twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1116283277411790849

I wonder why they released him to the UK then given our recent track record on torture. I'm a bit taken aback by right wing nature of some of the reaction here. Wikileaks is clearly in the public interest and he should be given immunity from prosecution. If there are charges of rape, that's a different matter and they should be heard but the two should not be co-joined...

advertisement

Back