advertisement

JPW Mini Monitor - Decent!

Shane2468

pfm Member
I keep a pair of JPW Mini Monitors for backup duties. Occasionally, I bring the monitors out for a listen.

Sound wise they can be musically satisfying. To an extent the sound reminds me of a Royd.

Mids sound open, the sound staging is average, but not bad. The bass is tight and tuneful for small rooms. In much larger rooms, a subwoofer is going to be strictly mandatory.

Sure, the tweeters do lack a little sophistication and can sound spitty at times. But come on, these are budget tier speakers after all.

Who designed the JPW Mini Monitor?

S.

JPW stood for Joy and Peter Wanstall. Peter Comeau used to work for them at their hi-fi shop in Plymouth, although I recall reading that Peter had left and gone into hi-fi journalism by the time the loudspeaker company had spun off.

Perhaps Peter eventually offered consulting, or, it may have been Stan Curtis, arguably the UK's most prolific hi-fi designer, bar none.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Gold Monitors, which have a silk dome tweeter. I had to knock the rather shrill tweeter level down a notch. I have a feeling I’d like the standard model with the cheaper Audax tweeter more.

Personally, I prefer the Minims. More or less the same size as the Mini Monitor with the same TW010 tweeter, but with a better, much stiffer driver. They’re sort of a scaled down Sonata, and with the right amplification they sound fantastic, better than they have any right to sound IMO. Great for small rooms such as mine.

Hi Martyn, Shane described a custom LP12 recently as "camp". He was joking of course and my comment was a continuation/appreciation of that joke.

The first time I heard the word 'camp' was in 1966. As far as could understand it then meant stuff that was old, odd and a bit cool, today we probably would say vintage. It seems to have picked up another meaning since then...

About JPW mini monitors. In the 90's the HiFi store where I used to hang had a demo setup with the then top flight Naim goods (CDS/52... etc, etc) ending with a pair of JPW's on heavy stands that probably costed twice as much as the speakers. It sounded much better than it should.

I got a pair of mint ones at Cash Convertors for £9.99. I was really taken aback by the quality. Proper bargains,

The first time I heard the word 'camp' was in 1966. As far as could understand it then meant stuff that was old, odd and a bit cool, today we probably would say vintage. It seems to have picked up another meaning since then...

About JPW mini monitors. In the 90's the HiFi store where I used to hang had a demo setup with the then top flight Naim goods (CDS/52... etc, etc) ending with a pair of JPW's on heavy stands that probably costed twice as much as the speakers. It sounded much better than it should.
Well, gay used to mean "happy". Things change. I once bought a mate a birthday card in the village shop. We were about 14. Inside it said "Here's hoping that your birthday...Is happy and gay in every way" . Obviously there was no way that I could give it to him, a shame because it I had the same card now there are a few possible destinations.

I have a pair of Gold Monitors, which have a silk dome tweeter. I had to knock the rather shrill tweeter level down a notch. I have a feeling I’d like the standard model with the cheaper Audax tweeter more.

I had some Gold monitors on TV duty and found the midrange very recessed. The volume had to be cranked right up to hear what people were saying.

With yours sounding harsh I wonder if it's ferrofluid gumming up that's causing the problem? Wish I'd checked the tweeters before I binned them, because I wouldn't be surprised if they were stuck solid.

Thank you, RJohan & steve67.

My understanding of camp ( also from the ‘60s ) meant a somewhat effeminate man.
I recall Larry Grayson being described as camp.

I had some Gold monitors on TV duty and found the midrange very recessed. The volume had to be cranked right up to hear what people were saying.

With yours sounding harsh I wonder if it's ferrofluid gumming up that's causing the problem? Wish I'd checked the tweeters before I binned them, because I wouldn't be surprised if they were stuck solid.
Could be. There are mixed opinions on the Gold's tweeter all over the internet, some finding it smoother than the TW010, others saying it's too bright.

advertisement

Back