advertisement

Joplin phono EQ and 32/384khz A/D.

Seems quite respectable for a phono stage with benefits.

Paul

I don't know Paul, Pure Vinyl has all that built in, a unit like the Metric Halo is both A/D (with quality mic pres) and D/A and costs around £1k.

Seems to be somewhat better value to me and certainly makes remarkably faithful rips IME.

The ULN-2 doesn't have specifically cart friendly inputs and is FireWire. It's not clear if it will standalone as an ADC nor whether it can do RIAA and the rest on board without being connected to a computer. I'm not sure it's quite an equivalent.

FWIW Audacity does arbitrary equalisation for free and includes presets for RIAA and a selection of pre RIAA curves.

Paul

Robert the RIAA and other curve accuracy is all on the website, it's within 0.1db.

I think what the Joplin offers over and above piecemeal solutions stuck together from various sources is convenience. It comes with almost every EQ curve ever used for vinyl and all it needs is plugging into the mains and your dac. I'm comfortable with paying a price for that packaging together in a neat solution and I wouldn't feel happy with recording studio gear in my music room.

I don't doubt there are cheaper ways to record vinyl to digital, I'd be surprised if any of them manage to bring together better quality and ease of use for similar money though.

The ULN-2 doesn't have specifically cart friendly inputs and is FireWire. It's not clear if it will standalone as an ADC nor whether it can do RIAA and the rest on board without being connected to a computer. I'm not sure it's quite an equivalent.

FWIW Audacity does arbitrary equalisation for free and includes presets for RIAA and a selection of pre RIAA curves.

Paul

The mic inputs are perfect for carts, with fully adjustable gain - left and right.

All RIAA curves are in Pure Vinyl which is on the attached computer as is an interface that includes various plug ins to flavour the phono stage should you wish (antique tube for instance - probably not your bag Paul ;) )

I'm struggling to understand why you would want an A/D that wasn't plugged into a computer (or Dac). Where would the signal go?

I'd say the Metric Halo units are equivalents to this Joplin and an attached Dac - it's just it's all in one box with the MH - and you get a very good headphone amp thrown in for monitoring/late night listening.

I cannot see what this box offers over what I have, other than the nice case & lights and the extra couple of thousand pounds expenditure. I do however understand that some people are just not that keen on having a studio device - even if it's hidden out of sight.

Anyway, all I can say is I'll stick with what I have. The results are truly superb.

I can't find any info on additional EQ curves in pure-vinyl, it just mentions the RIAA curve not the other 20 or so none standard curves. Any chance you could point me to that section?

I'm not sure on the website. I just counted them on the preferences page and there are 66 plus the ability to customise. I'd never heard of the Haydn Society curve.

I archive a lot in RAW so I only apply the curve on replay - not when archiving.

Like you I will often playback through it. Ive done rips using the digital RIAA and also a TEAD Groove Plus SRX. I prefer the digital rips in many cases.

The great benefit of ADCing analogue inputs and handling them in the digital domain is when you start looking at active speakers, dsp and room correction. Your signals can be handled completely in the digital domain until some final conversion process prior to or as part of driving the speaker

I think it looks great. A bit pricey for me but a very sensible module, and the way of the future :)

The mic inputs are perfect for carts, with fully adjustable gain - left and right.
The impedance looks a bit low for MM, which may not be a real issue.

I'm struggling to understand why you would want an A/D that wasn't plugged into a computer (or Dac). Where would the signal go?
You plug it into the DAC as another digital source. So dependence on a computer reduces the MH's utility for SQ's application. It would be fine for me, but I have an alternative ADC.

Anyway, all I can say is I'll stick with what I have. The results are truly superb.
I don't doubt it. OTOH I can see the point of the Joplin and its price looks reasonable in the context.

Paul

I don't doubt it. OTOH I can see the point of the Joplin and its price looks reasonable in the context.

Paul

That's where it works for me, I'm simply looking at the sound quality available from £2000 phonostages, and the Joplin is right up there.

Mike, which Metric unit are you using?

I've been using a ULN-2 for a few years on my travels. Great for a portable system and also for live recordings. I'm considering getting an LIO-8 but I'm very much of the "all dacs sound more or less the same" school of thinking.

I'd only get the 8 because other people want 192khz rips and I am thinking of offering the service. Having experimented before heading off, I personally felt 96khz was more than adequate and (if differences really existed), possibly somewhat more involving to listen to.

The differences were very small indeed. I power the ULN-2 from Lithium broadcast batteries. That does make a greater difference IME. I guess I've got a poor mains supply.

just a point about loading, if you do require a specific load, we can make up the requisite resistor

Hi Keith - getting a tape head to operate at its best involves more than merely loading it with the correct resistor. The problem is compounded by the fact that the head has to be adjusted to optimize azimuth and that this, in turn, is affected (slightly) by the amount of correction that has to be applied by the replay amplifier - the two channels are unlikely to be identical because of mechanical shortcomings in the head.

Because of all this complication, I'm surprised at M2Tech's 'recommendation' to connect to a tape head directly. This approach appears to be more of a fanciful notion than a practical proposition, I fear.

However, a modern digital emulation of Dolby NR might (just) be an idea with legs. That said, genuine Dolby NR units are pretty much two a penny.

the Joplin includes pretty much every major EQ. RIAA, AES, Capitol, Columbia (Microgroove), HMV etc. ad nauseam

I'm sure a great many audiophiles will try these weird and wonderful curves of old and great debates will emerge on forums like this about which curves sound best on what.

I wonder if anyone will tell them that this is nothing more than using tone controls by the back door. Disgraceful!

It's not using tone control though is it, as the effects of phase and bandwidth limiting in arbitrary tone controls could never make then replicate the effects of a correct vinyl EQ. Close, but no cigar...

I thinks he means 'in principal' though....and in principle if not precise execution its the same thing.

I'm all for tone controls and EQ however we get it, when it delivers a more enjoyable result. But people shouldn't pretend that EQ applied to phono is good while the rest is bad, at least not if arguing from a first principle position that filters are bad. The straight line simplicity at all costs brigade.

It's not using tone control though is it

By the look of the curves in the Joplin manual, I doubt there's anything in there that couldn't be emulated by judicious use of standard Baxandall treble'n'bass knobs.

I wouldn't mind betting that it was the contemporary existence of those various curves that drove the original Baxandall design criteria, at least in part.

Diagram_zps0d0c0dda.jpg

By the look of the curves in the Joplin manual, I doubt there's anything in there that couldn't be emulated by judicious use of standard Baxandall treble'n'bass knobs.

But if you are going to simply EQ your records with a 45 years old Tilt control where the **** are you going to get the 110db+ of gain you'll require for that to leave you with audible music.

Sorry, I'm not being clear enough...keep the RIAA basic curve (which appears more or less in the middle of the variations) and use the Baxandall controls to modify the top and bottom up and down a little to taste - a standard RIAA curve plus a standard tone control, just like we used to have!

advertisement

Back