advertisement

Joplin phono EQ and 32/384khz A/D.

sq225917

Bit of this, bit of that
Joplin, 32/384 A-to-D convertor and phonostage.

I’m an early adopter, there I’ve said it, got it off my chest, admitted my fault. I’m also a magpie, I love shiny. So the new Joplin 32/384 A/D convertor and phonostage from M2tech is right up my street. Truth be told I also have a lot of time for the brand; they broke the mould with the Hiface USb/Spdf convertor, which I owned and then continued to do great things as they expanded into the dac market with the 32-384 Async USB Young dac, which I also owned. I have to admit I was pulled from the fold by the offer of a Weiss 202 at around half msrp- who’s going to turn that down? It’s fair to say I like what M2Tech do, I like the house sound, the product design and the functionality. Best of all though I think they have so far offered pretty damn good sound per pound- and that’s what really counts.

8075145730_b79a434dbb_c.jpg

Obviously not my actual details.

The Joplin arrived last week in the usual ‘packed by Keith’ brown paper wrapper. An unassuming lightweight box, hiding an even less impressive cardboard box inside. Fair enough though, I’m not big on paying for packaging and all I want is a well packed item that will survive the inevitable fall from the back of the delivery van to the road- this packaging will suffice. Inside you get a small SMPS, USB cable and remote control, there is also the familiar silver extruded casework used for the Young but this time housing a little bit more.

8070136351_c4e3bf5b84_c.jpg

Set up is simple. I was born in the age before video recorders so I’m hard wired not to read user manuals and to just go at it. Power in back, arm-leads into the input and spdif cable out into my dac and off we go. Houston we have illumination. We don’t have any sound though, ok so I do need to familiarize myself with some of the controls, well the volume control at least- hey, we have music. That was utterly painless. I then spend the next twenty minutes fiddling with every setting imaginable. I set level, I set output format, word length and sample rate. I set dither, fiddled with high and low pass settings, chose various vinyl EQ options, mess about with MPX ( I don’t have a reel to reel, but what the hell). In short there is a setting for just about everything you could possibly think of with one exception, there is no adjustment available for cartridge loading. For me that’s not an issue my Benz LP is happy running in 47k but it may be an issue for others, though I suspect the MM brigade with shelf after shelf filled with pre 54 jazz recordings and 78’s is where the Joplin is primarily setting its sights and they will be perfectly served by the 47k input impedance for their MM carts.

8070143831_c549044538_c.jpg

For those collectors of jazz and early issues then the Joplin includes pretty much every major EQ. RIAA, AES, Capitol, Columbia (Microgroove), HMV, Decca FFRR, MGM, Angel (EMI), Audiophile (Acoustic Sounds reissues), NAB, Oiseau-Lyre, Pacific Jazz, Philips, RCA (1, 2 & Orthophonic), Brunswick, Columbia 1925, Columbia 1938 and Columbia England (CO25, CO38 and COLE), Victor 1938-47 and Victor 1947-52 (VIC3 and VIC4), Decca 78 and MGM 78. If it’s not on there you probably don’t need it. I have no 78’s and only a handful of early HMV and one pre 54 Columbia. Playing back with the RIAA curve I’m limited to in my phonostage has always left me wondering what was missing from these records. The ability to select the correct curves has brought these records back into focus and freed the music that was pressed into them for the first time in many, many years. For me the EQ curves are a nice addition, if I had a reel to reel I’m sure I’d be very interested in the tape playback curves and filters that are built into the Joplin but the truth is I don’t, I’m looking to simplify my vinyl playback and improve upon my current phonostage.

8070147408_858ceae2c8_c.jpg

I have a pretty expensive dac, the Weiss 202, it’s well regarded and to my ears sounds very good. I’m sure better exists but it would be out of my price range. I like the idea of convergence, as long as there’s no trade off of quality for functionality and interoperability. So a phonostage that integrates a high quality A/D that works with my current dac would be welcomed into my set-up. I’m genuinely not bothered about the bells and whistles and tech for tech sake, it has to sound good. Actually at the price it has to sound better, not just in one area but top to bottom, right across the board. The Joplin sounded a little thin fresh out of the box, so I left it plugged in for a couple of hours playing a locked loop dj record that I have. Whether I quickly became acclimatized to its sound or if the unit did genuinely burn in a little I can’t really say. But I did like it much more after coming back to it than I did straight out of the box. I’ve had quite a few phonostages through my music room in the past twelve months, discarding both a Naim Superline and Linn Uphorik in favour of a simpler and cheaper, modified Naim Prefix. It’s not perfect but I’ve not found anything I like more overall for sensible money yet.

8070154581_9865bb2d3c_c.jpg

Back to back and box fresh there are areas where I prefer the Joplin and where I prefer my Prefix. The Joplin does better bass. It has more depth, greater slam and less overhang. It’s better nuanced with every kick and thwack having more shape and more natural tone. It’s not a small difference, it’s a fundamental difference and if the bottom end is where it happens for you then the Joplin excels here. It memory serves me right it sounds better in the bass than either the Superline or Uphorik did, it really is first class. Across the mids I think there’s little to separate them you could prefer either on a particular day. I think the Joplin may trade a little sweetness in the mids, but repays you with greater soundstage definition and placement. It’s only in the treble where I prefer the Prefix and not by any great margin. Reading that back it sounds very cut and dried, and it isn’t. I think there’s more ‘flow’ to how my phonostage presents the music. I’ll refrain from serving up analog vs digital analogies but that’s what I’m hinting at, at least with the supplied SMPS.

8070136624_2ea32bafa4_c.jpg

The Joplin stayed in over the weekend and I played a fair bit more music for myself and for friends, several of whom were struck by the Joplin’s forthright way and firm grip down below. It was only on Monday that I started wondering what a decent linear PSU might bring to the party. I have several power suppliers lying round that would work, including a brace of LiFePo 18650’s which I plugged in and used. Instant improvement, less grain in the mids and a greater sense of cohesion. I’m not sure if this is the result of better power to the Joplin or not having the SMPS plugged into my 6-way block. Whatever it is, it’s worthwhile and needn’t be an expensive upgrade.

8070146693_bb5c1816ce_c.jpg

There are so many features and functions to the Joplin it seemed remiss not to try them out. So here’s what I found. I can’t hear any difference between AES and Spdif. On Spdif and AES it sounds better using the supplied sync rather than the internal clock in my dac. I don’t have a USB dac present to test the USB output with though I did make some rips to my laptop. I already have the Young drivers installed so didn’t bother download them specifically for the Joplin. You may wish to check out later drivers if they exist. You set the input sample rate and word length on a Mac via the Audio-midi window from then on it’s a simple case of opening your preferred recording app, Audacity in my case, and hitting the record button. I spent a fair bit of time recording at 16 and 24 bit, 44, 48, 88, 96, 172 and 192khz. I can’t tell them apart, they all sound excellent. If there is any difference between the signal going from Joplin (AES)to Weiss to power amp and speakers vs, a recorded rip played back through laptop (Firewire) to Weiss and onwards as before then I can’t hear it. Whenever I’ve used A/D before there has always been an exaggeration of surface noise, tape hiss and clicks and pops from the vinyl. There’s always been a telltale I could focus on. The record/playback loop with the Joplin and my DAC as best as I can tell is utterly transparent making the Joplin not just a great phonostage but a great archival tool as well.

8070157497_7c0f50e041_c.jpg

It should be obvious by now that I’m quite taken with the Joplin, it performs solid service as a phonostage and almost has every bit of flexibility you could ever wish for- in fact apart from cartridge loading options it does have everything. A quick look inside surprised me with the component density, I wasn’t expecting it to be so densely packed and it’s nice to see even though it’s mostly smt inside that a significant proportion of the parts appear to have been chosen for sonic grounds- you would choose to use the barrel resistors they use if ‘pick and place’ was your overriding concern. Likewise in the signal path all the caps are Wima film and in the digital section all the inputs and outputs are galvanically isolated and correctly terminated.

8070156162_9bbffb64a0_c.jpg

For your money you get a nice case, an adequate psu, remote control, a high gain low noise pre-amp, top notch A/D, a Hiface evo, and the ability to use the Joplin as phonostage, Archival quality A/D and standards convertor between different digital formats. It would be unfair to call it a jack of all trades, with all that implies, as it does seem to be the master at extracting the best your records have to offer.

Simon

Thanks Darrly, it is remarkably flexible and the rip quality is as good as the playback direct. (Much as you'd hope).

I use a Prefix "K" with my DL103, and a Meridian MPMAX A/D and it works superbly, but I've always felt that RIAA could be done much better in the digital domain, which is what I assume the Joplin does. The fixed high input loading is a disappointment, though 47k seems to be the norm for loading MCs in many markets. On the one occasion I did the comparison I was quite convinced that the higher loading sounded worse, but can't really remember what I didn't like. Seems to be an odd decision when so much else is customisable.

What sort of price are we talking about? Given that my current pre is digital only, this could be a good option if I ever go analogue.

Nice bit of kit. I like the various EQ options.

I am a little confused about how your system works though. Is it because you have a DAC/Pre without an analog input, you use this to digitise your vinyl and then convert it back to analog in the DAC/Pre?

I am a little confused about how your system works though. Is it because you have a DAC/Pre without an analog input, you use this to digitise your vinyl and then convert it back to analog in the DAC/Pre?

Yup, that's what it does

I am one of those who have heard the above unit and the quality of the bass did strike me. I would also say that the price doesn't seem unreasonable given the complexity and flexibility on offer. However, I don't personally need a host of alternative RIAA options and don't need to digitise my vinyl (I would rather have more flexible cartridge loading, an absolute phase invert and mono option); I can see why others might find such features attractive though.

No, my power amp has two inputs and attenuation so i can use my normal phonostage as well. This serves two purposes, it allows me to digitse, to a very high quality, parts of my record collection and it also effectively acts as a very high quality phonostage for direct listening via my dac. It's use as a phonostage is its prime use for me as I'm not 'into' archiving my vinyl.

This appears a very fascinating unit. A couple of questions spring to mind (?Keith):

• Do they make the unit available without the expense of the high gain (and costly) phono pre-amp, for those who would like an A to D converter for simple line-level sources or, dare I suggest, retain the sonic characteristics of their own known and loved phono amplifier?

• The unit clearly has significant DSP capability viz. all those gramophone EQs. Yet it omits what might be the most useful process of all - admittedly, one that might require considerably more DSP clout than a 'mere' gramophone curve - and that is emulation of the Dolby A & B noise reduction processes. Obviously, the word 'Dolby' couldn't be used, but 'NR A' & 'NR B' would be OK. The designers clearly had tape users in mind, although inviting you to connect the output of a tape head directly into the unit is asking for a world of hurt, in my view. But if that is what the unit is intended for then certainly, in a domestic context, Dolby B-like processing is essential!

P Hi, not yet, there is discussion of a high quality D/A though, I will mention the NR issue,
just a point about loading, if you do require a specific load, we can make up the requisite resistor.
Keith.

SQ, why do you want to listen via your DAC if you can already listen to your normal phono stage via the alternative amp input and attenuator? Is it not easy to access the power amp or something?

If anyone wants A/D without the high-gain phono pre-amp there are many choices in the pro market.

Tenson, I don't 'want' to listen via my dac. What I want is better playback of my records, I'm utterly agnostic as to the route to achieve this, all I want is 'better'.

The Joplin is a better phonostage than the one I currently use; that it uses A/D to achieve that quality is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. Technology is a tool to an end and that end is greater enjoyment of my investment in music, in this case, my vinyl.

I think everyone is aware that A/D devices also exist that cannot perform the functionality under discussion here. If you'd like to start another thread to discuss all the other products that also do things that aren't related to the Joplin that would be helpful. I'd love to see your advice on lawnmowers in particular.

Don't be upset, I'm just trying to understand why you A/D - D/A your vinyl. Now I know.

I mentioned alternative A/D converters because someone asked if they do the Joplin without the pre-amp and EQ.

I'm liking the look of that.
I'd want to see how accurate the RIAA is working in light of the comments on how it sounds relative to other stages but if it's flat and quiet then the price seems fine.

advertisement

Back