advertisement

Jools - Later is back

This series started off OK but just seems to have got progressively crapper especially the last two shows

Later is shit! It needs a kick up the arse and some new life breathing into it.

Personally I don't see what the big problem is. It draws in the punters, and provides a platform for new bands/singers. But I'm listening, give me your new, exciting format.

Personally I don't see what the big problem is. It draws in the punters, and provides a platform for new bands/singers. But I'm listening, give me your new, exciting format.

To my mind there is way, way too much pensioner rock and nowhere near enough fresh bands, e.g. Beach House were the only interesting thing so far this series IMO, and they are on their forth album! They should hand the show over to 6 Music - Jools, whilst a decent guy, is just too old, out of touch and these days brings a rather ugly degree of cronyism to the whole thing. I want to see new up and coming stuff, not the embarrassing final death-rattle of end-of-career 60s, 70s and 80s artists.

To my mind there is way, way too much pensioner rock and nowhere near enough fresh bands, e.g. Beach House were the only interesting thing so far this series IMO, and they are on their forth album! They should hand the show over to 6 Music - Jools, whilst a decent guy, is just too old, out of touch and these days brings a rather ugly degree of cronyism to the whole thing. I want to see new up and coming stuff, not the embarrassing final death-rattle of end-of-career 60s, 70s and 80s artists.

I'm all in favour of new music, but as you can see on PFM there will be 10 times more interest in (yawn) an old Dire Straits album than the new Beach House record. Unless you bring in the punters to listen to old bands you won't have a platform for the new bands with nearly 3m? viewers for each show.

I doubt the show is viable if the viewing figures fall significantly.

I'm all in favour of new music, but as you can see on PFM there will be 10 times more interest in (yawn) an old Dire Straits album than the new Beach House record. Unless you bring in the punters to listen to old bands you won't have a platform for the new bands with nearly 3m? viewers for each show.

I doubt the show is viable if the viewing figures fall significantly.

Sadly, this is all too true. The fogey-ist element is a requirement in order to achieve the viewing figures that justify the show's return season after season. On the positive side, there ARE bands/artists that occasionally appear that are of real interest for those of us who do look for something new. Record it and skip the dross.

The suggestion you make though Tony about a 6 Music show is a bloody good one.

One of the best things I have seen on later, seems to be a lack on world music these days.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't watched Later for sometime.Totally agree with Tony's comment about the whole 'cronyism' side to the show.I had to look up what 'cronyism' meant though ;)
I saw the mighty Beach House were on gave it a watch.Really glad I did to.Beach House were class.
I was also really impressed by Jake Bugg.I thought he was brilliant.I had alook at some of his other songs on YouTube.He's a major talent IMHO.

There is usually something for everybody in a Later show and to me this is what makes it interesting.
Having recently discovered that iplayer shows the programme I am by and large impressed with the show as a whole.
Having just watched the Live episode 6 I found it quite entertaining
Jimmy Cliff - Great
The Hives - Good stuff.
Beach House - Well worth a listen.
Paloma Faith - Who told that girl she can sing? Liked her first album despite her dodgy voice. Surprisingly for someone who attended a dance acadamy she can't. I still like much of her work though.
Esperanto Spalding - Technique over content, but done well nevertheless, even if not my thing.
Jake Bugg - Really good.

A good half hour if you ask me, can't wait for the full show. You're too darn picky some of you lot on here.

As for cronyism, well the entertainment industry has always been full of it. A bit sad when he used to bring on his London crony types flogging a book or just sat at the table though.
Tom Jones was an embarresment the other week with that awful song about the voice.

It was the best Later show I've seen for years.
The Hives were on fire and Esperanza Spalding is just something else entirely. I need to buy a couple of her albums for a start. What an incredible talent, on top of being probably the most beautiful girl I think I've ever seen, and so refreshing to have electric jazz without that predictable and intrusive 'Jaco' style bass sound all over it. Great, great music.

advertisement

Back