advertisement

John Peel's Record Collection goes online

I'll see if they are on Spotify later - I've never heard them, but they are certainly titles I'd recognise as being very valuable (tidy originals can make £500-£1k). Don't know One Stop, what date would that have been?

I'll see if they are on Spotify later - I've never heard them, but they are certainly titles I'd recognise as being very valuable (tidy originals can make £500-£1k). Don't know One Stop, what date would that have been?

1967-1968.

Back then, it was just about the only shop in the UK that used to import all the new stuff that was coming out of the states. I used to hitch hike down from Co. Durham on a weekend & drool over the goodies.

I bought my VU + Nico "Banana" cover 1st album there, Safe As Milk, The first Big Brother album, The first Country Joe & the Fish album, Love's 1st album... all on import.

Of course, it's long gone, but at the time, it was one very cool record shop.

If you can find "Taxim" on spotify, give it a listen. It was recorded in one take, no overdubs. Apparently Jimmy Page cites Kaleidoscope, and that track in particular, as a major influence.

One thing to watch out for. There was a british psych band also called Kaleidoscope around at the same time. Not in the same league. So if Spotify has tracks from albums called "Tangerine Dream", "Faintly Blowing", "White Lady" or another one they brought out when they reformed in 2003, avoid. It's OK, but the american band really was the real deal.

Let me know what you think of "Taxim"? If you are expecting acid dripped guitar ****ery & fuzz, you'll be suprised.

Chris

I'm feeling decidedly stupid but i can't find the link that has his list of records alphabetically. Can someone help me please?

I've also looked for it several times and just given up. It seems that only certain people are allowed to know where it is, must be some kind of secret society!

advertisement

Back