advertisement

John Martyn- On the Cobbles

As above... I thought the gig would surely be cancelled as he was staggering all over and slurring when he came on stage... As soon as he started playing he was spot on! Definitely not a cigarette.

Just going to throw this out there (a little off topic, apologies) - love this Robert Smith (Cure) take on Small Hours (from the Johnny Boy Would Love This tribute album)

As above... I thought the gig would surely be cancelled as he was staggering all over and slurring when he came on stage... As soon as he started playing he was spot on! Definitely not a cigarette.

Funnily enough, he was just the same when I saw him at the Junction, Cambridge in 94 or thereabouts.

A couple of my old JM CD’s have bronzed (Inside Out & Cooltide). Something to do with the plant where they were originally pressed, so buy back catalogue with care.

Forgotten how good the SQ on On The Cobbles is. Stunning. This thread made me dig it out for the first time in a long time. It’s why I visit the forum to be honest. To recommend my own music to me :)

Amazing artist in 'is an absolute arse' shocker. All his albums up to One World are of course, incredible. After that, YMMV.

I lasted until "Sapphire", but then ditched that and kept the others. Never heard of On The Cobbles, but will now investigate. And yes, he could be an absolute arse, particularly to women

Ardent JM fan here. First heard his music on record around 1990 ‘Inside Out’ (from 1973), and saw him live on his ‘Cooltide’ tour the following year in 1991. Must have seen him maybe 20 or so times throughout the 1990’s and 2000’s. Admittedly I hadn’t listened to his music for some time but am currently having a major reprisal of his work. I have nearly all his studio and live albums, plus important compilations and alternate versions, etc.

Highlights were the London gigs I saw at Subterranea, a simply sublime show at The Mean Fiddler, The Clapham Grand, Shepherd Bush Empire and The Royal Festival Hall. Low points would have been lacklustre shows at The Dominion Theatre, The Astoria, and Jazz Cafe. I will always regret not taking the opportunity to see JM on what turned out to be his final themed tour, playing the songs off his classic, ‘Grace and Danger’ album in the late 2000’s. Unfortunately by that time John had health issues (including having a leg amputated below the knee) which confined him to a wheelchair but in typical JM style was shrugged off as a mere inconvenience to touring.

Also, just finished reading ‘Small Hours: the long night of John Martyn’, biography by Graeme Thompson, which I consider an essential (if at times pretty uncomfortable) read and insight into this complicated and troubled man and his incredible music.

Funnily enough, I bought ‘On The Cobbles’ when it was originally released but never really gave it the listening time that I should have. Now taking the time to go back and listen to albums such as this one in a reappraisal.

Basically, the man was a complete one-off and a real force of nature as a personality and performer. The upside was that he had a long and storied career in music, recorded some classic records that have absolutely stood the test of time (plus a whole load of others), and was at his best as a great songwriter, maker of records and an incredibly spontaneous live performer. The downside was that his deep emotional hurt and fear of abandonment, coupled with his legendary alcoholism and switchblade mood changes dealt out great emotional (and allegedly physical) abuse to his first wife, Beverley and second wife, Annie.

Last edited:
I am a self-confessed latecomer to John Martyn, only heard of his existence a few years ago.
The Wife hates him, for good reason, so will not listen to his work. I have a few albums, but not On The Cobbles. I do like ‘The Church With One Bell,’ I have the 1998 c.d, which is a good listen.

Just going to throw this out there (a little off topic, apologies) - love this Robert Smith (Cure) take on Small Hours (from the Johnny Boy Would Love This tribute album)

My favourite track on that collection.

Despite what I stated in my post above re. JM’s emotional (and allegedly, physical abuse of his ex-wives), I do feel that we should separate the man and his music.

I have a few of his albums and probably should have more.
I'm not sure how much he got from Nick Drake, and ranking albums is silly, but Solid Air has been a solid top 10 for me for more years than I care to count.

John Martyn was a bit of a genius. Shame he got so sick and suffered towards the end of his life. Will always remember Solid Air.

If small hours was the only thing John Martyn ever wrote, he would be one of my all time musical heroes. He wrote more and the admiration is more, so much more for it. The word is he wasn’t the easiest to be around but the music speaks for itself I think.

Regards

Brian

Last edited:

advertisement

Back