advertisement

John Martyn- On the Cobbles

First saw him some time in the early '70s in a tiny 'lecture theatre' at North London Poly where a mate was studying ... just remember him taking a good while to get some chrome tape on his fingers before spending an hour or so just playing riffs, bottleneck style, into an echo chamber contraption. Loved it, although can't recall him singing a single note - but that was fine by me as I was no fan of his (or Bev's) songs at that time. I doubt there was much more than 40 people in the audience.

Much, much later I came across Solid Air and was immediately hooked ... still play it, quite often in fact.

I reckon I saw JM about 15 times live between 1981 and 2001. At least half those times he was half cut, but on his night with a good band behind him he was stellar.
One amusing time was at the Cropredy Festival in 1987, when he asked to be excused as he had to go to the loo half way through the set, and Danny Thompson played a song solo!

Just re-read parts of Beverley Martyn's autobiography, and it does not make pleasant reading at all.

I noticed Church with one bell on this year's RSD list, not cheap mind.

If anyone is hankering after a vinyl copy of The Church With One Bell (only 500 copies pressed originally, like hen's teeth to find one), it's being re-released for Record Store Day in June.

Used copies on CD are very pricey too, I took a punt on a used CD copy from Norway for £11.00 inc postage and it's arrived today - perfect disc apart from needing a new jewel case (described as Media Condition 'Good Plus' - significant scratches & scuffs) this and England beat the Germans :)

This album is stunning sound quality to my ears - sounds amazing - hope I can snag a vinyl copy on RSD2!

Used copies on CD are very pricey too, I took a punt on a used CD copy from Norway for £11.00 inc postage and it's arrived today - perfect disc apart from needing a new jewel case (described as Media Condition 'Good Plus' - significant scratches & scuffs) this and England beat the Germans :)

This album is stunning sound quality to my ears - sounds amazing - hope I can snag a vinyl copy on RSD2!

I've just done that with an ebay purchase for £12 including the postage just in case I miss out on the RSD deal. I bought the half speed master of "Solid Air" last year and that is a lovely piece of work, my original copy was almost see through with constant use :)

John Martyn made 5 indispensible albums: The Tumbler, Inside Out, Bless The Weather, Solid Air and One World. Everyone should give these a go. Live at Leeds, London Conversation, Grace and Danger and Sunday's Child next, then everything else. Unfortunately, the two albums he made with his wife really aren't that great, although they have some good tracks on them. Also, whilst his later studio records were all suits and fretless bass, his band gigs were still great and there are some great live tapes from this era knocking around.

A well curated and remastered release of the three Nick Drake Albums with John's Bless The Weather, Solid Air and One World accompanied by a booklet with the thoughts of the long list of musos who were influenced by them both and notes from the sessions from the various engineers would be a rather splendid limited run.

Which is of course my favourite.;)
I think there is always something special about the album that introduces you to an artist and starts what becomes an unforgettable journey of discovery.
Yes, I often feel that I miss the point with JM;)

Grace & Danger is his best album.

Just listened to this masterpiece all the way through for the first time in years. Gave my original vinyl copy a wash on the RCM and swear that I heard way more into this record than ever before. Surprised at how knocked back in the mix a couple of John’s excellent guitar solos were - really quite self-effacing. Phil Collins makes some great contributions as a drummer, back-up vocalist and producer/ collaborator. Can’t have been easy to try to get JM to conform to a daily running order that Collins had drawn up! (Exhibit A: see the rum and cocaine soaked saga behind making/ recording ‘Sapphire’ album a few years later in the Bahamas with two sacked/departed producers plus Robert Palmer - who saved the day)!

I am currently obsessed with the fretless bass playing on that album, esp. the opening track "Some People are Crazy"
Managed to pick up a cd of On The Cobbles for £4 in Southport today, that and the remastered Hart attack and Vine made the mask wearing journey worth it :)

advertisement

Back