advertisement

Jethro Tull

One of my favourite bands. I’ve got the lot and seen them live loads of times. Favourite album is Minstrel followed by Aqualung but all of that period are excellent. It’s a shame Ian’s larynx has been knackered for years, but it doesn’t stop me going.

Saw them twice (I think on the "Songs from the wood" tour :), heady times) - Definitely remember Ian Anderson introducing John Glascock (bass player) as "Brittle dick"

Saw them twice (I think on the "Songs from the wood" tour :), heady times) - Definitely remember Ian Anderson introducing John Glascock (bass player) as "Brittle dick"

Did he tell a story about Martin Barre to introduce "My God"?

I've seen them a few times going back to the Broadsword & The Beast Tour, but I haven't been to see them since Martin Barre left - it just doesn't seem like the same band to me.

Did he tell a story about Martin Barre to introduce "My God"?

Memory very dodgy (my mate and I even missed the interval at one of the concerts!), was there something about one of their regular musicians not being available so this one would do?

Memory very dodgy (my mate and I even missed the interval at one of the concerts!), was there something about one of their regular musicians not being available so this one would do?

When I saw them, on the "War Child" tour, as a preface to the song "My God" Ian told a story of an encounter between Martin and a certain lady of substance, and her displeasure with Martin's physical inadequacy. The punch line was "My God! Who do you expect to please with THAT???" and he replied "Myself, madame."

A mate of mine had a spare ticket for Jethro Tull at The Royal Albert Hall last April. This gig was to celebrate their 50th anniversary and full of old people having a last grey-haired blast.

Their first four albums are great and the last time I saw Tull was 1972. Ian Anderson was excellent playing flute at the RAH, laughingly interacting with the audience, and standing on one leg. Unfortunately his locks have gone and so has his voice, which was really weak.

It was interesting to see old footage of the band and and some of the on-screen introductions by celeb fans like Slash and Tony Iommi were amusing. The latter played in Jethro Tull for one gig, before leaving and going to Black Sabbath.

The old tunes sounded great, but the guitar vibe of Martin Barre was definitely missing. Having somebody copy the notes is not the same thing at all. It was still a laugh though.

Jack

When I saw them at the Boat Club in Nottm around 1968, they were still doing blues rock. Anderson looked filthy, had the trademark overcoat and filthy old plimsolls. His assorted gob harps and flute were in a plastic shoppng bag at his feet.
Interesting though.. :)

I really like the Steven Wilson remixes, and just the other day, I picked up the 50th anniversary remix of This Was on vinyl. Comparing it to the 2014 Parlophone reissue, the new remix sounds much fuller, with a clarity that is hard to believe. Nice job S.W.!
I really hope S.W. works his magic on Living in the Past next...

my god, the boat club, nottingham, that was my haunt for many years, got to say after 1968, more like rock disco 1978 with DJ brad i think, saw wild horses there, thats Thin Lizzy without phil lynott,
if the story's are to be believed Led Zeppelin played there amongst others

Couple of Ian Anderson Jethro Tull UK tours this year. First one being a chat / audience question type event. The second one billed as Ian Anderson and the Jethro Tull Band - The Prog Years tour. Tickets on sale now for anyone interested.

Reactions: BJP
In 73 I was in a (really crap) band at Newcastle Uni and we supported Glen Cornick’s band Wild Turkey at our Hall. He had the most beautiful bright green-bodied Rickenbacker bass. Tweke Lewis from the Man band was guitarist.
Back on topic, Stand Up easily my favourite.

There was a nice program on sky arts (I think) not long ago about them
It was really interesting...
First heard tull when my (3 years) older sister was play their stuff when I was 14ish back in the (very early) 70's ... ignored them for years...but like all there best stuff now

Heavy Horses is by far the best I’ve heard from them. Absolutely stunning songs and playing. I find Ian a bit up himself but he is a super musician and writer.

He's recently lost the young guy who helps out with the vocals , looking at the tour info Ian must be doing all the singing himself , seen his last two tours and he's struggling to get the notes . This "Prog Years" tour might be more instrumental .

He's recently lost the young guy who helps out with the vocals , looking at the tour info Ian must be doing all the singing himself , seen his last two tours and he's struggling to get the notes . This "Prog Years" tour might be more instrumental .
I saw them maybe ten years ago and Ian was struggling even then. Love their music though :)

Luckily, he has been replaced by a young guy who has a voice that seems to fit in well.

Reactions: BJP

advertisement

Back