advertisement

Jethro Tull

Just listening to Heavy Horses. Tull always sound good in the autumn. Probably the last of the classic studio albums? Crest of a Knave was a great return to form though.

I saw them on the 'Thick as a Brick' tour in '72, I still know all the words to that album! The first 5 albums are all worth having and I adore 'Songs from the Woods and 'Heavy Horses'.
I saw Martin Barre with his own touring band doing classic Tull stuff. His vocalist Dan Crisp is excellent- he sounds very similar to Ian Anderson and does the facial mannerisms very well.

Sorry, Broadsword does very little for me. I'd take Under Wraps over it.

ISTR selling more copies of that and than "Under Wraps", even though it was a more recent album.

"Catfish Rising" did rather well too.

Jethro Tull - Stand Up
180-gram 45 RPM double LP from Analogue Productions!
Mastered by Kevin Gray from the original U.K. Island analog tape
Gold-selling second album was an early turning point for the band!
Plated at Quality Record Pressings and pressed at RTI!
Gatefold old-style "tip-on" jacket by Stoughton Printing with the pop-up (stand up) band image accurately reproduced!

Became interested on seeing their TOTP (I think) performance of The Witch's Promise, more so when I learned they were local.

Everybody knew and would humm Bouree and Aqualung was a favourite LP at school. I liked them all the way through Brick and A Passion Play.

The albums that followed such as War Child, Minstrel and Too Old were ok but unremarkable, felt like they'd been hurt by the criticism of their prog albums and retreated to safer ground. Songs form the Wood and Heavy Horses I found more enjoyable but too safe, I then lost interest.

Saw them live a good few times and were always entertaining and tight. Always enjoy hearing Ian Anderson talking.

The albums that followed such as War Child, Minstrel and Too Old were ok but unremarkable, felt like they'd been hurt by the criticism of their prog albums and retreated to safer ground. Songs form the Wood and Heavy Horses I found more enjoyable but too safe, I then lost interest.

Saw them live a good few times and were always entertaining and tight. Always enjoy hearing Ian Anderson talking.

Yes. After the panning from the UK music press for "A Passion Play", they played safe with a number of albums that were to all intents and purposes Ian Anderson and backing band and it wasn't until "Songs from the Wood" that it became more of a band effort and it shows. I've only recently 'got' Tull and started buying their albums and I find "War Child" to "Minstrel" a bit meh, but love the earlier albums and the 'Folk Trilogy' to "Under Wraps". I found "Crest of a Knave" a bit too safe, sounding like they were trying to get a bit of the Q magazine reader demographic to buy CDs alongside "Brothers in Arms" and "Shamrock Diaries".

I saw them live once, in May 93 in Cambridge COrn Exchange and they were tight and didn;t stop for the two hours they played. Super professional.

I love the first 4 Jethro Tull albums, but Ian Anderson has always struck me as a bumptious arse. Sorry.

Martin Barre seems altogether far too nice to discuss their working relationship, but his band with Dan Crisp is a cracking night out.

I found "Crest of a Knave" a bit too safe, sounding like they were trying to get a bit of the Q magazine reader demographic to buy CDs alongside "Brothers in Arms" and "Shamrock Diaries".
You can't blame them for that, it was what was selling in the mid and late 80s.

I love the first 4 Jethro Tull albums, but Ian Anderson has always struck me as a bumptious arse. Sorry.
No need to apologise, he probably is. He has certainly come across as such whenI've heard him being interviewed, but I don't give too many tosses about the artist, it's the art that counts.

I only have stand up. I bought it twenty years ago because the gatefold cover is so good. I like the music on it too.

advertisement

Back