advertisement

Jazz experts - are the Mosaic LP box sets worth investing in?

starbuck

pfm Member
I use the word investing because the individual prices ($100 - $180) are pretty high.

I've just purchased the Thelonious Monk Complete Blue Note set s/hand and it is superb, and I'm interested in all the Miles Davis ones that are currently available. Does anyone know what the quality is like, and if they are all analog recordings/pressings? Having only ever read good things about the Mosaic label I hope that the quality is assured but I'd be grateful for any first hand experiences.

The thing that has put me off is that the tracks don't necessarily appear in album order in some sets. If I'm wrong I've obviously missed out, but if I bought say the Mingus one, I'd want the tracks as they appeared originally.
Mosaic do do some fantastic quality pressings. My Coltrane/Monk that I bought last year is top drawer, and definitely from an analogue master. In fact if I'm not mistaken they use the same mastering engineer, plant and process as Classic.

They are very expensive - the 10LP Miles Davis Plugged Nickel set tends to sell for GBP250 - 300.

Thanks for your replies.

I believe you're correct in thinking the tracks don't appear in album order, lordsummit, as I think Mosaic have gone for chronological recording order instead. I've been doing a bit more digging and it appears that if they are not analog masters, Mosaic explicitly state it in their website details.

Tantris - I think the Miles Davis 'Plugged Nickel' set sells for around those prices s/hand, I believe that new they were in the $180.00 region (£100.00ish) so would have been a good investment, musically and financially.

I own approximately a dozen LP Mosaic boxes, and the quality is superb. Micheal Cuscuna, the "brain" behind Mosaic also did the Blue Note CD remastering from the early 90's. While the tracks don't necessarily appear in the same order as on the original LPs (rather, they are arranged by session date and order of recording), the box sets do include many interesting alternative takes which never appeared in any format, and have excellent essays and photographs in an appealing 12" x 12" booklet.

My only regret is that Mosaic stopped pressing vinyl some time ago; only my bank account is happy about this. Cheers,

-Richard

Starbuck,

I've bought all the Miles Davis box sets except the Blackhawk one. They are beautifully presented and pressed. The accompanying booklets are a delight - well printed, well written. All the LPs have been flat and quiet. The Studio Recordings of Miles Quintet is, I believe, sourced from analogue tapes. I'm not sure about the others. Sound quality is very fine. Where there is an overlap between a Classic Records re-issue and a Mosaic, I prefer the Classic Records (different mastering engineer, but both pressed at RTI).

Having said all that, the music is marvellous. And, once they go out of print, you can rest assured that you will pay a lot for these sets.

One more tip, have them delivered by DHL, they arrive about 3 days after the order.

Martin

I'm no expert but a bit of serendipity here as I received my order from Mosaic US a few days ago and only started to get to grips with the enormity of these expensive premium packages. Things of beauty in their own right -- let alone the music.

They are all excellent pressings. The vinyl is thick and incredibly clean and I can vouch for the Miles box sets as I own the Quintet 65-68, Miles and Coltraine and the Complete Bitches Brew -- I spent nearly $450 + $45 DHL on getting them but it was well well worth it. You will not be disappointed.

I recommend the complete In a Silent Way although my personal fave is the Complete Bitches Brew -- the extra material on BB makes so much more sense of the whole to me...

I shall be selling my CD sets of these LPs HTH.

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks.

fox - did you get stung for import duty on your lot? I assume its unavoidable but it may make the cash difference needed for one extra box set if I don't have to pay it. PM for you, by the way.

edited to add: I've just had an email from Mosaic, and the Davis sets are all analog mastering except for one track on the 1963-1964 set, 'Miles In Berlin'.

Yes I had to pay import duty... factor about £20 extra per box set.

I think the Miles Davis 'Plugged Nickel' set sells for around those prices s/hand, I believe that new they were in the $180.00 region (£100.00ish) so would have been a good investment, musically and financially.

Fair point - I wonder if the Plugged Nickel set will continue to appreciate at the same rate?

fox said:
I recommend the complete In a Silent Way although my personal fave is the Complete Bitches Brew -- the extra material on BB makes so much more sense of the whole to me...

I shall be selling my CD sets of these LPs HTH.

Ooh - do let me know when you're ready to sell 'em.

more 'Plugged Nickel'

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

d

...Gotta love those 1970s art directors... were they ever not taking recreational drugs in the workplace?

Miles Plugged Nickel on Mosaic

4863305681.jpg

Mmmm.. Monochrome... Way cooler

If you are thinking about buying these,according to Mosaic the 'In a Silent Way' and 'Seven Steps' box sets are expected to out of print by the end of the summer.

I listened to six sides of Bitches Brew set last night. Stunning.

Quality wise the Mosaic sets are up there with the best currently available new vinyl. They are for jazz completists only but are put together with much love and care. For the package of goodies, the US$18 per LP asking price is good value.

The second hand value of these sets tend to rise exponentially, driven by EBay fever, and results usually in poor value for money. The track by track by session track order can be irritating especially if you believe like me that there is a good reason for "programming". Some of the earlier boxes (like your BN Monk set) I believe were remastered digitally although the later sets are usually from analog masters.

Look what the nice DHL driver brought me today:

IMG_0966.jpg

Now, where to begin... (and does anyone want to buy a lightly used right arm)?

advertisement

Back