advertisement

Jazz boxset - might be of interest to some?

Yes I agree with Theo, if you are a Tubby Hayes and or a British Jazz fan ( I am) it is essential. I had a few of these before, but these version mastered by Gearbox from the original tapes are much better. I don't know how many they pressed, but I thought it would sell out quickly like the Ian Carr, Don Rendall Box Set so that is why I grabbed quickly. I am not disappointed. More than worth it at even full price.

I thought it would sell out quickly like the Ian Carr, Don Rendall Box Set so that is why I grabbed quickly. I am not disappointed. More than worth it at even full price.

Do we know how many Tubby sets were pressed? I seem to recall Jazzman saying the economics of running as a small label limited how many they could press of the Carr/Rendall set (and were there also restrictions as part of the licensing?). I'm guessing Decca/UMG have the resources to press a few more.

At £90 looks like a stonking bargain!

Do we know how many Tubby sets were pressed? I seem to recall Jazzman saying the economics of running as a small label limited how many they could press of the Carr/Rendall set (and were there also restrictions as part of the licensing?). I'm guessing Decca/UMG have the resources to press a few more.

The original Decca ad said ‘limited edition’ and so does the new one from Rough Trade. I suppose the limit could have been increased, though!

As I said I don't have any idea how many were pressed for the Tubby. Jazzman had / were limited a 1,000 box sets for the Ian Carr and Do Rendall and that sold out in a few days and I missed out as I did not see it in time. They were then able to get a license to press them all as individual copies and I picked them all up then. I think it was a 1,000 of each for these as well. It seems Shades of Blue and Dusk Fire are all sold out, but the others seem to still be available.

@poco a poco how do you find the vinyl sound and pressing quality of the Tubby set?
The pressing and mastering are excellent. I don't have any original pressings, but much better than the few later ones I have. Some variation in the recording standard as you would expect as recorded in different studios and venues. The best top rate and never less than good.
I don’t know about the vinyl, but I have the CD box and it is distressingly bright to my ears. I’ve played it twice maximum.
I am not hearing any excessive brightness on the LP's. I have an earlier, 1988, CD of 'Down in the Village' on REDiAl (polygram) that is in this set and that sounds pretty good as well (for a CD ;)).
Yes limited and numbered. I just wonder how many they made. This new $100 deluxe KOB set is 'limited' to 25,000 copies.
I assumed this one on sale by Rough Trade was the original pressing run that still as it had not been sold out, not a further repress? I can't see any mention of numbered boxes in their Ad. and the release date says 26/6/20. I don't remember seeing numbering on my box set.

Edit: I checked on Discogs and they say released 6th December 2019, but they only list one set on LP and it is supposed to be numbered. I need to check mine. It may be they have pressed again and it is not yet listed?

Thanks @fegs looks to be a really good set. Just ordered that to add to the continued emptying of the coffers from reading the Tone Poet thread!

advertisement

Back