advertisement

Jaguar F Type

If the car is likely to be Mrs P's main car then I would likely advise against the Porsche unless she is The Stig or Chris Harris' auntie. Great driver's cars they are and reliable and so forth but totally different to a "GT with a drop top" that I get the feeling is becoming the preferred choice.

If that's the case, the SLK seems a good idea - MB have some very good offers on new SLK 250CDIs at the moment. One word of caution, with the hood down, you can't get 2 suitcases in the boot but that's the same for any metal-roofed drop-top.

If that's not a problem, other metal roofed cars I'd recommend are the R230 SL (previous model - either the 350 or 500), MX5 with the optional metal roof (cheap but a great car - drive one) and the BMW Z4 but the seats in that I find way to hard and uncomfortable.

If a rag top is OK and a bigger car isn't a problem, I would also recommend a look at the Jaguar XK convertible which will be less hard core than the F-type and less 'look at me look at me":

Jaguar%20XK%20Convertible%20(12).jpg

Or the BMW 6 series, either the current (F12) or previous model (E64).

BMW-6-Series.jpg

bmw%206%20series%20convertible%202.jpg

My last suggestion is a bit of a 'wild card', the Alfa Romeo Spider which you can get for (relatively) peanuts but is IMHO one of the most beautiful cars you can get that doesn't have a 6 figure pricetag:

Touring%20Grey%20Alfa_Spider_15_1024.JPG

And of course, as they're ~£10k, they'll not depreciate like an F-Type.

The Alfa Spider is a great idea.
Also, if the open top could go, a Lotus Europa is a bargain at the moment, only 500 made too. A very practical Lotus.

The Alfa Spider is a great idea.
Also, if the open top could go, a Lotus Europa is a bargain at the moment, only 500 made too. A very practical Lotus.

Lotus.

Lots
Of
Trouble,
Usually
Serious

for absolute enthusuiasts of the marque only!

I'd like to see video of pensioners trying to get in and out of the Europa S, as low as it is and with those wide sills.

It's a shame that Lotus seem to have contracted out to GM for the engine and Toyota for the styling...

Chaps

Mrs Mick is now becoming convinced that a soft top is the way to go.

The Boxster and the BMW 118i are now taking her fancy.

So here is the latest question - has anyone driven a soft top and would you buy another.

I must admit, the car that I looked at this afternoon had a soft top which gave a lot more room in the boot and it was certainly a substantial material, much heavier and more thief proof than I expected.

I confess to not being a fast driver and I never exceed speed limits so I am unlikely to roll the car over.

Regards

Mick

So here is the latest question - has anyone driven a soft top and would you buy another.

Regards

Mick

i borrow the 996 cab often and never take the roof down when on my own.
It's a bit noisier so harder to hear the music.
Long term some can actually cause hearing damage.
If it's hot i want a good sealed environment for the AC to do it's thing.
I don't like driving with the sun in my eyes.
Some say they use more fuel whether due to extra weight or aerodynamics.
Partner loves them though so when her 50th approached i got what she wanted! Small recompense for putting up with myself.

Certainly found the Porsches to be cheap to own long term, mine is over 20 now and great for up to 900 miles in a day. Just uses a bit of petrol by today's standards.

I've had 2 - A 2004 MB CLK 320 and a 2004 BMW 330CD.

Would I have another? No.

1 - The amount of time you can have the hood down in the UK is limited.
2 - Compared to the coupe version, the boot is teeny-tiny.
3 - You can't jet wash them or put them through a car wash.
4 - Despite what a dealer tells you, you do need to look after the hood.

I've had 3 soft tops, yes I would have another.
A 1973 Triumph Spitfire owned in 1992-4 - great fun, but unreliable and I spent more time mending than driving, Would I have another? No.
A 1996 Caterham 7, owned 2002-2007. A great car, not a daily driver. Would I have another? No. Been there, done that.
A 1977 Citroen 2CV, owned 2004-2006. Great fun, again no good as an only car. Great as an evenings and weekends fun car or as a drive to local work shopper. Brilliant fun. Would I have another? Yes, definitely.

I will have another soft top, but only if the household has a "proper" car for the trips to the airport in January at 5am and the times when I need to get 200 miles to work.

Mate's SLK....No.
Same mate's Audi A4....very nice, but still not for me. Wouldn't argue with anyone who went for one though. Saw a very nice 3L one at an Audi main dealer, only approx 40k on the clock, £13.5k. A lot of car for that £££.
Boxster & 911 convertible......without question.
Many many many years ago, a mate of mine & I bought an old Jag xj6 & literally chopped the top off, just for the summer, cos it seemed a "good idea at the time". Yes, I know, I know, I know. I was very young.
Honda S2000's, AudiTT's, Lexus,BM's, not my bag, but good cars, I suppose. Hey, there's loads out there. All easily good enough for most people. It's just down to which flavour you prefer.

O/T but..:
I've had 3 soft tops, yes I would have another

I will have another soft top, but only if the household has a "proper" car for the trips to the airport in January at 5am and the times when I need to get 200 miles to work.

I see an MX5 in your future - one car to do it all [except maybe bags & bags of climbing gear, but bike-carriers no problem ;) ]

Seriously good fun and all-year-round reliable/comfy too! Next time you're down here you need to have a chat with Mrs. StevieD.

I've had a Spider soft top and thought it great when the temperature was between 20 and 25°C. Either side was too cold or too hot. They are noisy, too.

I'd buy another but not for an everyday car.

Surely Mr & Mrs Mick would look best in a classic car rather than this mass-produced stuff we have been wittering to each other about ? Come on Mick this is your chance to return to the days when Britain was GB.

Mick

there are a couple of fine looking Merc SLs on show at Canary Wharf this week

Now they have a lot more class than the SLKs, Boxters etc

There's no point pushing Mick towards a car that his wife had made very clear she finds too big to drive.

Oh yes, without any doubt. They're my sort of car, but I'd still want my 1 Series for the twisties :)

Mick. My wife had an SLK and loved it. If you need more space I suggest Mrs Mick looks at a BMW 3 series or the Audi A4 (and both have diesel options for your long trips to Spain).

advertisement

Back