advertisement

ITV Breathtaking

Don’t really want to go over all this but it’s sad to see “the British public” still being blamed for everything. Also hilarious to see them castigated for selfishness and individualism by…a lifelong Tory, from his villa in Spain.

Again I may be "selfish" for owning a holiday home in Spain but I certainly was not selfish during covid.

The wife bought all that because I wasn't allowed to go with her. Can you imagine the altruistic British public putting up with that.
We did. For months.

Pretty much right up until it became apparent that our government was having us all for mugs.

The wife bought all that because I wasn't allowed to go with her. Can you imagine the altruistic British public putting up with that.

If there were armed (Spanish) police, of course. Brits are softies, our farmers don't block motorways etc like the Spanish and French. We accept draconian protest laws and blame vulnerable women and tree huggers with glue on their hands.

Everyone knew that this was a contagious disease and that it made sense to wear a mask, stay away from everyone else, stay home etc. People just used complacent rules to do what they wanted.
Disagree. Again, refer to the aids campaign.
Early on compliance, certainly in this area was to all intents and purposes, total.
Post doms eyetest, and the rose garden whitewash, not so much. In fact down the khazi.

Actually worth remembering that most deaths were of disabled people and the people treated the worst on all fronts were… disabled people. The government explicitly introduced the concept of “Vulnerability” as a means to bypass existing rights accrued under the Human Rights Act and the Equality Act 2010 and allied that to guidance enabling supermarkets and many others to simply ignore the law and treat people like they had no existing rights to things like reasonable adjustments at all.

New Zealand went in hard and early. You know how the Brits would have reacted to that.
What utter garbage. Good old British exceptionalism again eh? "We're made of sterner stuff than them foreigners", "No one tells a Brit what to do"
Except we did do exactly what we were told. Once our leaders found they had no choice but to follow scientific advice. After your man Johnson had been shaking hands in hospital wards, spreading the virus, to show us how hard he was.

I remember hearing that shite on BBC Radio when Italy was in lock down...."But would us Brits accept being told to stay at home?" As if we're a superior species to every other population on the planet.

What utter garbage. Good old British exceptionalism again eh? "We're made of sterner stuff than them foreigners", "No one tells a Brit what to do"
Except we did do exactly what we were told. Once our leaders found they had no choice but to follow scientific advice. After your man Johnson had been shaking hands in hospital wards, spreading the virus, to show us how hard he was.

I remember hearing that shite on BBC Radio when Italy was in lock down...."But would us Brits accept being told to stay at home?" As if we're a superior species to every other population on the planet.
The Spanish endured a tough regime without complaint other than some protests in Barcelona, where the buggers are notorious for their moaning anyway. The Brits moaned their socks off about everything from lockdown to vaccinations.

The simple fact is that nearly every country in the world moaned about how their government handled the crisis. It is what we do now a days.

The Spanish endured a tough regime without complaint other than some protests in Barcelona, where the buggers are notorious for their moaning anyway. The Brits moaned their socks off about everything from lockdown to vaccinations.
I don't know how true that is tbh. Obviously my experience is purely anecdotal but it felt like most people took it seriously and stuck to the rules. The ONS study states that "overall, compliance was high."

Round our way the only people quite obviously breaking the rules were teenagers getting together on the heath to party. I don't condone it but I realise lockdown is a lot harder if you're 17 and living at home than if you're middle-aged with your own pad to chillax in.

I don't think we did moan. Lockdown was tough, harder on many than I can imagine, but I heard few complaints. Complaints, when I heard them, were mostly about government ineptitude or inconsistency, not about personal privations.

And anyway, you weren't here. How would you know what we did?

I don't think we did moan. Lockdown was tough, harder on many than I can imagine, but I heard few complaints. Complaints, when I heard them, were mostly about government ineptitude or inconsistency, not about personal privations.

And anyway, you weren't here. How would you know what we did?
Being a prize one moaner here, you regard moaning as normal, you do it all the time. I remember you slagging the government off quite a bit, but that's all in the past.

As regards to your comment "How would you know what we did?" I would like to remind you that Spain is quite civilised and it has things such as TV with satellite UK channels and also a thing called the internet when I used to read your daily ramblings. Believe it or not, they even wear shoes out there.

Being a prize one moaner here, you regard moaning as normal, you do it all the time. I remember you slagging the government off quite a bit, but that's all in the past.

Bit ad-hom that Mick. Can't you sustain an argument without it?

And are you having difficulty with the bit where I said: "Complaints, when I heard them, were mostly about government ineptitude or inconsistency..." Would you like me to explain it in simpler terms?

Bit ad-hom that Mick. Can't you sustain an argument without it?

And are you having difficulty with the bit where I said: "Complaints, when I heard them, were mostly about government ineptitude or inconsistency..." Would you like me to explain it in simpler terms?
If you genuinely think that is ad-hom then I apologise.

I really do think I am wasting my time in this discussion as I am not going to change anyones mind and you will certainly not change mine. We are living on two separate planets.

You are so clear off.
I’m sick of you continually doing Britain down from your Benidorm bolthole.

I remember hearing that shite on BBC Radio when Italy was in lock down...."But would us Brits accept being told to stay at home?"
BBC using the object pronoun as a subject? Was Covid responsible for that as well? 😁

I remember watching the news etc. of Covid breakouts in Europe in the latter part of February 2020. My nephew was with a bunch of lads skiing in the Italian Alps when all hell let loose in Italy (but not here yet). They couldn't fly from Italy and were lucky to get a lift into Switzerland where they got a flight back. My sister/bro.-in-law were quite anxious.

For my part, I was petrified and hung on every grim pronouncement on TV after lockdown; I seriously thought the virus was so easily airborne that there were a number of occasions when out for a walk or shopping when I counted the days thereafter to see if I'd caught anything. The news that 'our leader' (as he most certainly was then) had contracted Covid and was near to death really put the wind up people. Don't think other countries faced being rudderless at that juncture. Those early days were dire, but the further lockdowns/scares later in the year came with a lot more knowledge and an imminent vaccine roll-out.

Don't understand all the politics here; any party would've been caught on the hop. The later shenanigans were another matter however. I thought the lockdowns affecting open court tennis to be hard to take, however; that ain't a contact sport

advertisement

Back