advertisement

It’s not just 911s and Minis that are big now.

This has become my daily driver. Well, not every day, just when I need to pop out locally, but also for long journeys if we haven't got dogs, lots of stuff etc. For that, we've got a diesel Macan. The 911 is remarkably good on fuel, 30 mpg plus. It's very comfy, easy to park, modern gadgets.

ge4gTNQ.jpg

What colour/tone is that? some kind of liquid silver?!

MOT this Thursday for the Z4.

Then for sale in the summer ;)

Be careful what you wish for :D
I don’t have the money unfortunately, and whilst I really love the look of the coupe, I do want something open top, I absolutely love going for a late evening drive with the top down in the summer.

I’ve had the Z4m (amazing but a bit harsh on long runs, and need revving out to properly enjoy, which gets illegal quickly, and getting expensive), a 2.0 (nice but underpowered) and a 3.0si, the 3.0si was the best all rounder, still properly quick too.

Mine is the full fat Arteon (of the time) with 272bhp (detuned Golf R engine) and 4WD. I will be treating it to a "black out" to remove the chrome (front, sides and back) so it'll be more the current R Line Edition.

Oddly, a cheeky remap (stage 1) will take it to around 360bhp but I'm not certain I want to do that again.

3Wq01Bu.jpg

I love classic cars, I wouldn’t daily one though, they’re something to enjoy on weekends.

Modern cars are much better tools, and what I would choose for regular long journeys, I don’t love them though.

I’m actually treading the line between the two right now with a 22 year old Golf GTI... that does have working air conditioning though, and cruise control, and passenger/side airbags, traction control, heated seats etc... also Apple CarPlay and all the benefits that come with it and a reversing camera. It’s been meticulously maintained and really doesn’t feel like a 22 year old motor... the only downside is the fuel consumption, that’s what would be out of the question if I were covering 20k miles a year or more (I do about 5-7k now).

When I did big miles, I had sub 5 year old A4s and BMW 3 series with Diesel engines... I used them for the long commutes and jumped in the toy when I was nipping to the shops, a mate’s house, the pub etc.
Speaking of classics, I've always been infatuated with the 635CSi, and more particularly the M-variant. They have aged well, looks-wise, but I'm not sure I'd actually pay the asking price for a mint example. The ones more appropriately priced tend to have much higher mileage, and need a fair bit of work to fully restore. The main thing that puts me off classics is safety. They are simply not as protective as a modern car, and so would never daily something like a 635CSi.

The other classic that gets my attention is the Alfa GTV6. Hmmmmm.

Not sure you'd call the GTR a supercar but by the time I sold it, it had 585bhp and was too much (should have left it std).

My Mazda MK1 was lovely as a classic, as was my SL

O0jSb37.jpg

iirGkrI.jpg
Are you in the car-trading business?

No James. Just a sad petrolhead. All those (and a few more) I have personally owned. The shortest time I have owned a car is 12 months. The longest, 8 years.

The SL was a restoration project. The Mazda was a very light restoration.

I won't list/picture the others :D

Speaking of classics, I've always been infatuated with the 635CSi, and more particularly the M-variant. They have aged well, looks-wise, but I'm not sure I'd actually pay the asking price for a mint example. The ones more appropriately priced tend to have much higher mileage, and need a fair bit of work to fully restore.

I had one of those, a 1989 M635csi in highline spec. Ruinously expensive to run and keep maintained but nothing comes close to how special it made you feel to own and drive it, even though it tried to kill me. Often.

I think this is the car -
https://www.classicheroes.co.uk/m635-csi-black?lightbox=dataItem-irhtt8wp1

[edit]
Can't link to the pic, so here's a similar looking one.
BMW-M635csi@2x.jpgmv2_d_4608_3072_s_4_2.jpg

Speaking of classics, I've always been infatuated with the 635CSi, and more particularly the M-variant. They have aged well, looks-wise, but I'm not sure I'd actually pay the asking price for a mint example. The ones more appropriately priced tend to have much higher mileage, and need a fair bit of work to fully restore. The main thing that puts me off classics is safety. They are simply not as protective as a modern car, and so would never daily something like a 635CSi.

The other classic that gets my attention is the Alfa GTV6. Hmmmmm.
Shhhh! Don’t tell everybody or they’ll all want them. You just named my top two usable classics on my ‘some day’ list.

No James. Just a sad petrolhead. All those (and a few more) I have personally owned. The shortest time I have owned a car is 12 months. The longest, 8 years.

The SL was a restoration project. The Mazda was a very light restoration.

I won't list/picture the others :D
I wish I had the skills and space to restore cars. My petrol-headedness was manifest mostly with motorcycles in the 80s, when I rode mental machines of the day (GSX1100, FZR1000W etc.) My car-ownership tendencies are much more tame nowadays. I'd rather have something that drove well than just go fast.

advertisement

Back