advertisement

It’s not just 911s and Minis that are big now.

608 PS from a 4.4L turbocharged engine is "reasonably rapid"? Please.

If you've ever driven an Alpina built in the 90s or after (*), they go at M-car pace w/out the M-car drama so they never feel as fast as they actually are.

(*) the 80s Alpinas are a much different thing. Bonkers and scary quick but that was at the time most M-cars were high-speed Autobahn crushers (M635csi, e28 and e34 M5) not sports cars. Seems M and Alpina swapped role with the E36 / E39.

I wonder why BMW never pursued the M3 Touring? Did they think there was no place in the market dominated by the RS4 Avant and C55 / C63 AMG? Was the B3 touring seen as enough? Or is it a historical thing for BMW - the E30 touring got developed despite management not seeing a market for it and the E34 and E39 M5s never got a touring in the UK.

And if the M3 is too hard core, this looks an absolute monster to compete with the new diesel S4.

Not the same I know, but my E36 328i Touring was a terrific car.

Stephen

If you've ever driven an Alpina built in the 90s or after (*), they go at M-car pace w/out the M-car drama so they never feel as fast as they actually are.
I've driven quite a few M cars, but never an Alpina. I think I understand what you mean.

advertisement

Back