advertisement

It’s about time we had another cable thread.

Worth a read when I get a day or two; not particularly well written, but could offer some insight. Not sure why it's all RCA, though; thought that was the termination.

At least they are trying to understand what they hypothesise might be causing audible effects in cables. Interesting that they think time domain distortions are significant.

Nic P

Worth a read when I get a day or two; not particularly well written, but could offer some insight. Not sure why it's all RCA, though; thought that was the termination.

I skim-read to the end, where I found: 'This is where XLR cables come in, except that they are far, far harder to make as good as an RCA electrically. We will examine the design of this balanced cable in the next part'.

and it’s quite interesting - at least for a layman:

http://www.psaudio.com/article/cables-rca-interconnects/

Ho, Ho, Ho! It does not take long reading into the material to see underlying questions with this thesis. The trouble is that it takes a lot of effort to disentangle the several problematic foundations from the text and suggest why they are not supported by currently accepted science and engineering.

And when they write "We don’t know why they sound different, but they do.", this invokes the need for some new science that has not yet been discovered. That's always possible, of course. However, verified new science in this area has not been thick on the ground for the last century or more, so "sceptical" has to be the right word.

What they seem to be saying is:

"Despite virtually every recoding being made through XLR connectors, our RCA connectors are better"

RCA connectors were developed as a cheap and cheerful connector for the consumer. They are also, of course, not balanced, so more prone to interference.

So to sum it up, someone is talking through their bumhole.

file under "sciencey-sounding" - it doesn't actually say anything really.

At least they are trying to understand what they hypothesise might be causing audible effects in cables. Interesting that they think time domain distortions are significant.

Nic P
But what are these "time domain distortions"? The interesting thing is that if one writes sciencey sounding advertising copy saying nothing very much but using the words "time-domain" then it is a proven fact that it sounds at least 37% more interesting to readers of advertising copy.

But RCA Phono plugs are much smaller so we can fit hundreds of them on the back of A/V receivers.

Imagine having a conversation about the superiority of a car designed in the 1940's.

XLR for me - end of.

But RCA Phono plugs are much smaller so we can fit hundreds of them on the back of A/V receivers.

Imagine having a conversation about the superiority of a car designed in the 1940's.

XLR for me - end of.

Plugs and sockets are another thing that makes zero difference under any conditions but I will say it really bugs me to keep seeing "XLR" used as a pseudonym for BALANCED . (irrespective of whether that's what's meant here). Balanced can use any type of plugs and sockets (two phono's per channel could be used) and a normal 3 pin XLR could be used for unbalanced and fit both channels in.

Anyway, unbalanced using phonos for me every time. Why phonos? They are industry standard, used by virtually everyone and well up to the job. They are also cheap for the types I use.
Why unbalanced? Completely unnecessary for domestic audio and just generally adds complication and parts to the signal path.

Nic P
well known. BIAS is why people hear differences in cables

show me one blind test, just one blind test, where people can reliably recognize IC A to B to C

I liked the part where they used test gear to characterise cables and computer programs to model and design based upon their findings. Heh :)

Opens with confusion, waffles, waffles some more. A devoid of content exercise in specnobabble. The layperson should steer very well clear of this kind of tripe.

advertisement

Back