advertisement

Isopropanol for cleaning circuit boards.

Chops54

pfm Member
I have some 99.9% isopropanol that I intend using to clean some circuit boards. Can I use it neat or do I need to dilute it?

I thought about doing this with some older equipment, what benefits will be achieved & what do you use to clean with.

Thanks Nick.

Ragaman, these are just built NCC200s and I want to clean off the flux residue etc.

Edit. I'll use a reasonably stiff toothbrush to clean away the debris.

It works well, I cleaned my work on the Leak Stereo 20 and Verdier pre up a while back. Makes things look really neat! I just used a small paint brush and a few cotton buds.

Ta Tony.

I think I have a couple of LPs in my stash. I better top it up a bit and have a drive over.

Ta Tony.

I think I have a couple of LPs in my stash. I better top it up a bit and have a drive over.

Si, I think I may have a couple in mine, but I'm not sure, if so grab them for me and I'll sort it out with you when I next see you, cheers pal.

Anything for you Dougie. I'll give you a call this evening. No worries if you're going out.

Thanks Nick.

Ragaman, these are just built NCC200s and I want to clean off the flux residue etc.

Edit. I'll use a reasonably stiff toothbrush to clean away the debris.
Would isopropyl alcohol work or is this the same substance as i have some at hand.

99% Isopropyl is what I used. It's all the same stuff IIRC.

PS Si, welcome anytime, will be good to see you.

Cheers Tony, I'll see how I'm placed next week but I'll message you beforehand.

Yes sorry Ragaman, I should have said isopropyl alcohol, 99.9%. I get it from the print shop next door to my workshop and it has the trade name Isopropanol on the drum.

Si
99.9% is excelent for everything, cleaning circuit boards or cleaning tape heads on a professional recorder, I buy it by the gallon on ebay, you can use it mixed appropriately for cleaning your records
I even recovered the wifes Samsung S5 dropped in the toilet with this stuff ;)

Alan

Isopropanol isn't a trade name, it's just another name for the same thing. Just like ethanol = ethyl alcohol.

"Isopropanol isn't a trade name, it's just another name for the same thing. Just like ethanol = ethyl alcohol."

+1 for that, but as with methanol, don't drink it :eek:

It's not as toxic as methanol, should you be minded to serve it at your cocktail party. The problem with methanol is that it's metabolised to formic acid which is lousy for your brain etc. -it will literally make you blind drunk.
Ironically the treatment for methanol poisoning is....ethanol. Hooray!

Methanol is sometimes found in rough cider, apparently, and makes drinkers' noses grow (no, not a Pinocchio tale).

Boccaccio - what's isopropanol like to drink, and to what is it metabolised ?

Si - sorry he went off-topic, and be reassured that neat isopropyl alcohol ("isoprop") is harmless and effective when used for cleaning soldered work - I've done it many times without apparent ill-effect. YMMV ...

You just need to be careful using IPA for cleaning older PCBs. When I use it on a Pioneer SA 500A which I think may have phenolic based boards it made a nasty milky deposit which I eventually managed to clean off with a mix of dish washing detergent and water. Like they say on the label: 'try on an inconspicuous area first'.

Thanks guys. I only asked because the chap I get it from told me it takes paint off if used neat and obviously I dilute for record cleaning etc. I don't usually bother cleaning off pcb's after soldering so I can't understand why I've suddenly started doing this. Must be an age thing. No worries about going off topic. I enjoy the anecdotes but please don't encourage me to drink it :D

Edit. Thanks Simon, I'm only using it for cleaning new boards but I will bear that in mind.

"...cleaning off pcb's after soldering..." One thinks of capacitance arising around/in the flux left behind ?

"...please don't encourage me to drink it..." Decameron, you have a question !

advertisement

Back