advertisement

Is this the most beautiful amp......

hero3.jpg

Left Eye, Right Eye, Power Nose, and the lurid multi- colored anodized aluminum

Last edited:
Not my tastes either I'm afraid - looks like something from a Soviet aircraft (no personal experience so I am imagining things but ...)

The current series of 2- channel Yamaha analog only integrated amps have very classy retro 1970s ' silver faced' looks and huge analog VU meters.

I do remember bring captivated by the late 70s Lentek integrated amp, that now looks like an improved Audiolab design. But back then it was visually arresting. Well apart from the ultra tacky Union Jack emblem.
s-l1200.webp

Why am I thinking... HAFLER! 🤔

Not a big fan of this look. As it is I dislike it but if the section on the right (weird clock type parts) were replaced with other simpler levers and dials I think I would actually fall into the like it category.

As I have posted before the trouble is that hi-fi rarely exhibits beauty or innovation in terms of industrial design. I studied the subject briefly at night school many years ago and good industrial designs are both practical and innovative. The design should communicate its reason to be with the functionality of the product, and the innovation should be the attention grabber as well as adding great value to the product. A lot of hi-fi nails the practical side, but doesn't score highly on the innovative side IMO.

The amp in the OP is neither practical nor innovative, it's a mess created by people with little clue of what makes good design work and who think bling is important... in good design bling is never important. The trouble is that in hi-fi great industrial design is extremely rare. The Michell Gyrodec is one exception, the Quad ESL57s another. IMO anyway.

advertisement

Back