advertisement

Is this for real?

Check out the OED which, after all, is the accepted authority in written/spoken English. Trouble is Americanisms creep in and hey! What do they know?
I keep seeing these posts on PFM where people think there are only British folks here. What's the deal with that?

There are people from around the world here, though it's hard to tell sometimes with so many threads about BBC monitors, Naim, Linn turntables, Sunday roasts, room temperature beer, etc. :p

There is no governing authority for the English language. That's what makes it better than French.
Quite right, but I didn’t say ‘governing’, did I? I can’t comment on French though. All I do know is this, when I was fully occupied in gainful employment, if I’d put points between o and k my knuckles would have been firmly rapped!
English is a beautiful language, when used correctly. ;-)

Quite right, but I didn’t say ‘governing’, did I? I can’t comment on French though. All I do know is this, when I was fully occupied in gainful employment, if I’d put points between o and k my knuckles would have been firmly rapped!
We are in full agreement, both concerning the punctuation of a common expression, as well as regarding the pulchritude of our language.

Let’s hope we foreign users don’t make too much of a mess of it. Beautiful language indeed.
That said, French is equally beautiful, but it may be a tad more challenging to muster!

There's nowt bootifull about this homogenised bastardised language (English) rooted upon every d@mn bunch of invaders from the Romans to the Normans. I'll take l'Académie F. anyday.

And don't get me started on the IOS misspelling checker!!!

Yes, the old joke about God creating a balanced world...........Here's a version that we can probably mostly agree upon:

God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael, the archangel, found him resting on the seventh day.

He inquired of God "Where have you been?"

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction, and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look, Michael. Look what I've made."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled, and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet," replied God, "and I've put Life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, "I'm still confused."

God explained, pointing to different parts of earth. "For example,

Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while Southern Europe is going to be poor. Over there I've placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people. Balance in all things,"

God continued pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot, while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a land area and said, "What's that one?"

"Ah," said God, "That's Washington State, the most glorious place on earth. There are beautiful mountains, rivers and streams, lakes, forests, hills and plains. The people from Washington State are going to be handsome, modest, intelligent, and humorous, and they are going to be found traveling the world. They will be extremely sociable, hardworking, high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats, and carriers of peace.

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then asked, "But what about balance, God? You said there would be balance."

God smiled, "There is another Washington. Wait till you see the idiots I put there."

(other versions are available :) )

Yes, the old joke about God creating a balanced world...........Here's a version that we can probably mostly agree upon:

God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael, the archangel, found him resting on the seventh day.

He inquired of God "Where have you been?"

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction, and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look, Michael. Look what I've made."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled, and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet," replied God, "and I've put Life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, "I'm still confused."

God explained, pointing to different parts of earth. "For example,

Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while Southern Europe is going to be poor. Over there I've placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people. Balance in all things,"

God continued pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot, while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a land area and said, "What's that one?"

"Ah," said God, "That's Washington State, the most glorious place on earth. There are beautiful mountains, rivers and streams, lakes, forests, hills and plains. The people from Washington State are going to be handsome, modest, intelligent, and humorous, and they are going to be found traveling the world. They will be extremely sociable, hardworking, high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats, and carriers of peace.

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then asked, "But what about balance, God? You said there would be balance."

God smiled, "There is another Washington. Wait till you see the idiots I put there."

(other versions are available :) )
That’s great. And FWIW I’m from the good Washington.

I guess, but it's a shame that the money doesn't go to nobler efforts like (off the top of my head) animal rescues/workers, environmental causes/workers, education/teachers. Instead it goes to people who invent bullshit and the people that sell it.

How do you know that the people who profit from this don't actually work in the areas that you favour and finance that activity from these sales? I would imagine that many would consider that spending many thousands on hifi is obscene. We all make value judgements, but don't like it when the judgements of others don't coincide with our own.

Where's the harm init? This:

Some years ago a couple of guys in a white van called at my grandmother's house and told her that they were doing work at a neighbour's house and noticed a problem on her roof. They could sort it out for £400. Special deal. She handed over the £400. I suppose you are OK with this? After all it employed the guys, and she could raise £400. I regard this as a similar scam.

There is a clear difference between blatantly criminal activity and the sale of equipment that you believe has no worth/value. If you believe that the sale of these products is illegal then I suggest you contact trading standards and report same to them.

How do you know that the people who profit from this don't actually work in the areas that you favour and finance that activity from these sales? I would imagine that many would consider that spending many thousands on hifi is obscene. We all make value judgements, but don't like it when the judgements of others don't coincide with our own.

So you believe these people who invent these items and sell them for maybe 100x what they cost to build are like modern day Robin Hoods?

The Dr Jekyll and Mr Hydes of morals and scruples? I don’t buy it, (but some will).

Last edited:

There is a clear difference between blatantly criminal activity and the sale of equipment that you believe has no worth/value. If you believe that the sale of these products is illegal then I suggest you contact trading standards and report same to them.
There is no clear difference between fraud and making a false claim to sell goods. Remember that Russ Abbot and his cable nonsense has been prosecuted by Trading Stds. As with any other dubious activity it is a question of degree, and unlike you I see no clear line between "your roof needs looking at love" and "you'll never get the best out of this amplifier with a cheap mains cable" .

I didn’t know what that was until last week when I was watching I’m Alan Partridge for the first time and wondered what Michael’s unusual accent was. But I still don’t get the joke!
Washington in a town in Tyne and Wear, near Newcastle, UK. That's in addition to being a city and a state on opposite sides of the USA. It puts some time in, does Washington.

Google image search is your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ent...WOZMAKHVP-BccQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1442&bih=931

16938-e1f0d3c1b06ee55f28e2b3a697e671a9.jpg

index.php

They seem to mostly vary based on the number of metal bars chucked in and the prettiness of the 'earth' (mixed with crystals, black sand, ground up fairies).
That coarse black sand looks very much like ground slag, which is a byproduct of the steel industry and sold to industry for sandblasting metal. It's not a particularly expensive product, though it is impressively dense.

That coarse black sand looks very much like ground slag, which is a byproduct of the steel industry and sold to industry for sandblasting metal. It's not a particularly expensive product, though it is impressively dense.

oh I thought they would atleast use gold dust or ground up platinum. I suppose trying different materials is for the tweakers? coal dust?

So you believe these people who invent these items and sell them for maybe 100x what they cost to build are probably like modern day Robin Hood’s?
Ted Denney of Synergistic Research likes to drive around in a Ferrari and harass Gene DellaSala. Make your own judgement.

advertisement

Back