advertisement

Is this for real?

Lou,

It's OK, he doesn't need or want to be Saved nor do the rest of the Alligator Clip or Cable Brigade. I'm sure Steve Hoffman has experienced the most traditional side of Pro Audio as much as anyone else in that field and has formed his own opinions which he's entitled.

It's ultimately their money - their choice and they must live with the result. If it makes their time on the planet more enjoyable, what's the harm? No one is holding a gun at anyone else's head. We make our decisions and suffer the fate good or bad. (It's hifi and no big deal if you think about it)

regards,

dave

Lou,

It's OK, he doesn't need or want to be Saved nor do the rest of the Alligator Clip or Cable Brigade. I'm sure Steve Hoffman has experienced the most traditional side of Pro Audio as much as anyone else in that field and has formed his own opinions which he's entitled.

It's ultimately their money - their choice and they must live with the result. If it makes their time on the planet more enjoyable, what's the harm. No one is holding a gun at anyone else's head. We make our decisions and suffer the fate good or bad. (It's hifi and no big deal if you think about it)

regards,

dave

Geeze Dave, I wasn't expecting a confession.

Your Pal

Louballoo

this tells me all i need to know about shun kook.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/east_meets_west_coast.htm

Along the walls are his room-tuning towers. Each tower is made up of several chambers. Mpingo Discs are attached to the outside, and there are slit openings into which Bill inserts newsprint, experimenting to find the right room-tuning effect. He claims to have compared the sonic virtues of various types of newspaper and discovered that the old stuff works best. He found a source for Civil War-era newspaper and uses that to fill the commercial versions of his tuning towers. (Only his consumer towers have slits into which slips of paper are inserted. Commercial versions have the newspaper hidden inside the chambers permanently.) He also has Civil War-era newspaper attached to the face of his fireplace. He has used these towers in commercial projects, including concert halls and a church in Korea. Those spaces are professionally finished and bear none of the mad-scientist, Back to the Future décor of his listening room.

reminds me of Ted Denney, that quack from Synergistic research. It was amazing seeing Ethan Winer rip him to shreds on the stereophile forum.

That wiggly thing on a stick looks quite cool but I think I would put it in the garden to confuse the neighbours. They might think it was part of my weather station.

Anyway, it has been a bad week and looking at that stuff has made me laugh, so it does have some value after all.

Steve

I have heard the effect that some Shun Mook mpingo discs made when placed on top of my ProAc 1SC speakers.

Well, effect is the wrong word as there was no effect. No difference whatsoever (as expected). Although the person who owned them was convinced there was a change. I think the only change was that of his bank balance.

Several years ago I bought a Shun Mook record / TT weight. I paid a few hundred quid for it - and bought it more out of curiosity than anything else, but as it was at a very keen price, I figured nothing to lose.

It definitely had an effect, on some records it was very obvious, others less so. On balance, I enjoyed it very much and it's sonic changes were positive.

In the end though I had a queue of people wanting to buy it from overseas and sold it to a chap in the US for £1300 making an enormous profit.

I still miss it though..........

So - yep, there are people who buy them !

And I get ridiculed for hearing differences in cables; It looks like I have hardly scratched the surface.

I mean has anybody really taken this product seriously? (apart from the people trying to sell it that is..)

Do any of these companies making extraordinary claims for their weird devices explain the science/engineering/principles behind them?
Cos I'm baffled....

advertisement

Back