advertisement

Is there any science to back up these little feet

My question in the op is not regarding if it changes the sound, of course it will, my question, & I repeat for the hundredth time, where is the science to show it improves the sound, the company claims it does but show no findings, seems a fair question when someone is making money from an idea currently in production.

Why is it important to you to have science? You "of course" hear it makes a difference you say so there seems no need for you.

We don't know everything just yet, we like to think we do but obviously we don't (Higgs boson)
It's been found. What's your point?

I'm a physics student and I can assure you that none of the lecturers and researchers I've come across think they know everything - or even *like* to think we know everything (where's the fun in that?). Equally, none of them would give the ridiculous claims of the average audiophile a second thought - there's simply too much real science to do, and real science is hard work and extremely resource intensive.

I think most people on this forum would be staggered by the lengths scientists go to to eliminate noise and potential sources of errors from their experiments. In the case of the dark matter experiment I'm working on this entails locating a detector over a mile underground, constructing it from the most radioactively pure titanium ever sourced and countless other measures designed to eliminate false positives.

It's a humbling experience, which makes it all the more ironic that members who defend established science against the unsupported claims of the audio industry are described as arrogant. True arrogance is thinking your own subjective impressions carry more weight than the accumulated painstaking efforts of thousands and thousands of researchers, and the theories they have tested countless times.

I'm a physics student and I can assure you that none of the lecturers and researchers I've come across think they know everything - or even *like* to think we know everything (where's the fun in that). Equally, none of them would give the ridiculous claims of the average audiophile a second thought - there's simply too much real science to do, and real science is hard work and extremely resource intensive.

I think most people on this forum would be staggered by the lengths scientists go to to eliminate noise and potential sources of errors from their experiments. In the case of the dark matter experiment I'm working on this entails locating a detector over a mile underground, constructing it from the most radioactively pure titanium ever sourced and countless other measures designed to eliminate false positives.

It's a humbling experience, which makes it all the more ironic that members who defend established science against the unsupported claims of the audio industry are described as arrogant. True arrogance is thinking your own subjective impressions carry more weight than the accumulated painstaking efforts of thousands and thousands of researchers, and the theories they have tested countless times.

Dismissing subjective findings out of hand is arrogant.

I'd like to think that most researchers have better things to do than even think about our hobby.

I don't think it's arrogance to perceive something and then defend it when you're told otherwise because someone else who claims to be more intelligent than has a theory. I don't think that science is considered bad by anyone (a very few perhaps), it's just when the occasional bad theory doesn't sit right - very clever people have been wrong and models for physics are often iterated on.

Bob Carver is a clever guy and he says all amps sound the same. That's a clanger that gets repeated lots and ruined my listening experience for a few years.

Btw the stuff you're talking about sounds very interesting!

None, really. I'm putting off tussling with my dissertation, and trying to decide whether or not to buy a pair of speakers, so am riffing off one of the usual subj/obj circular marathons with my usual mixture of wry humour, YouTube videos and pointed questions, which may not be much, but is at least a change to the usual yes/no, did/didn't stuff that was boring enough to listen to when my children were 5 and 2 and arguing the toss in the back of the car. You are no longer in a position to ban me for posting a video link, so you'll just have to put up with it, at least until I go and have some lunch, or decide that procrastination is the thief of time and get stuck into the footnotes.

You are like a dog with a bone for keeping bringing up something that happened over six years ago.

Indeed, the devil makes work...

Getting stuck into the footnotes may be ultimately more rewarding.

I have no credibility with those of a measurist persuasion. Nothing new there!

If the distortions were as gross as you describe (10 to 15 dB? Wow!) they would be bloody awful to the point of being unlistenable.

I once had a room like that. I moved house.

Oh believe me your current room has issues, unless you have defied physics.

To claim otherwise further discredits your credibility.

Getting stuck into the footnotes may be ultimately more rewarding.

The footnotes are OK; it's things like remembering whether or not to include a space after a p. for page number that does for me. And the bibliography is worse. The format is usually 'Location: publisher, date', but then was it a first edition, or a later re-print? If the latter, you need to give details of both the first edition and the edition you actually used. Fortunately we have a professional proofreader in the house who can spot these things a mile away. I'm more of a broad-brush person meself.

Oh believe me your current room has issues, unless you have defied physics.

To claim otherwise further discredits your credibility.

It's the black and white thinking again. Of course it has 'issues' but they are not as critical as your extreme example and therefore don't really matter as much as what actually emerges from the speakers.

Dismissing subjective findings out of hand is arrogant.

I'd like to think that most researchers have better things to do than even think about our hobby.
The point is they're not dismissed out of hand. They're dismissed because they're contrary to extremely well understood science that has been demonstrated (almost literally) countless times. Also, given our dependence on technology, almost every moment of our waking life is a vindication of the science concerned. In this context, subjectivity is a form of arrogance.

Research is a diverse ecosystem with many niches available to motivated and resourceful scientists, so research into audio reproduction is not necessarily ruled out. Further, if some of the things audiophiles claim really were true, it would force a rethink of some fundamental physical theories. I don't know a single scientist who wouldn't want to be the first to make that discovery. The truth is that no physicist takes these claims seriously (for good reason), and any funding body would laugh if they received a proposal to investigate such claims.

The footnotes are OK; it's things like remembering whether or not to include a space after a p. for page number that does for me. And the bibliography is worse. The format is usually 'Location: publisher, date', but then was it a first edition, or a later re-print? If the latter, you need to give details of both the first edition and the edition you actually used. Fortunately we have a professional proofreader in the house who can spot these things a mile away. I'm more of a broad-brush person meself.

And I bet these rules have changed over the years.

The point is they're not dismissed out of hand. They're dismissed because they're contrary to extremely well understood science that has been demonstrated (almost literally) countless times. Also, given our dependence on technology, almost every moment of our waking life is a vindication of the science concerned. In this context, subjectivity is a form of arrogance.

Research is a diverse ecosystem with many niches available to motivated and resourceful scientists, so research into audio reproduction is not necessarily ruled out. Further, if some of the things audiophiles claim really were true, it would force a rethink of some fundamental physical theories. I don't know a single scientist who wouldn't want to be the first to make that discovery. The truth is that no physicist takes these claims seriously (for good reason), and any funding body would laugh if they received a proposal to investigate such claims.

Subjectivity is not arrogant. It is what we actually perceive. Nobody makes any choices about what they hear if they are honest.

Any funding body would laugh because it would be a misuse of resources for something so trivial.

I don't know why armchair 'scientists' (or any real scientists) get so het up about audio and "wild claims" because this is just a hobby enjoyed by a relatively small number of folk. I think some people just get off on pissing on our chips out of the comfortable belief that they occupy the rational high ground despite the fact that they completely lack any sense of perspective.

There are bigger fish to fry for scientists so the wannabes should just leave us audiophools alone to our trial and error.

Some really hate others who hear differences, these threads are always amusing, it started with me asking if their is any science to these feet "improving" sound & we are back at the everything sounds the same nonsense,

Engineers are the worst people to ask about audio, they see everything in black & white, we all know things are not that simple.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Engineers look for answers to questions. They do so by exploring the options not excluding them or thinking in black and white terms.

The only people around here doing so are the raving subjectivists who do things like dismiss respected and knowledgeable people in the field such as floyd tool.

Also by saying "I hear it therefore it is" and ignoring the fallibility of the human auditory system and the psychological aspects of sighted comparisons.

It's the black and white thinking again. Of course it has 'issues' but they are not as critical as your extreme example and therefore don't really matter as much as what actually emerges from the speakers.

Proven physics is not black and white thinking. Your room has deleterious acoustic modes which have several orders more audibility than the daft plastic clips in your stand.

You are just in denial and it's pretty embarrassing

I'm a physics student and I can assure you that none of the lecturers and researchers I've come across think they know everything - or even *like* to think we know everything (where's the fun in that?). Equally, none of them would give the ridiculous claims of the average audiophile a second thought - there's simply too much real science to do, and real science is hard work and extremely resource intensive.

What he said

I don't think it's arrogance to perceive something and then defend it when you're told otherwise because someone else who claims to be more intelligent than has a theory. I don't think that science is considered bad by anyone (a very few perhaps), it's just when the occasional bad theory doesn't sit right - very clever people have been wrong and models for physics are often iterated on.

Bob Carver is a clever guy and he says all amps sound the same. That's a clanger that gets repeated lots and ruined my listening experience for a few years.

Btw the stuff you're talking about sounds very interesting!
Thanks Sibbers, it is very interesting. I've been fascinated by fundamental physics (essentially the question, "what are we made of?") since I was a young boy. The experiment I'm working on over the Summer is one of many that are searching for dark matter. And I'm just one of several hundred researchers involved in this experiment. It's an epic endeavour with all these scientists, engineers, project managers etc. working for years on something that might, at the end of the day (around 2020), produce a null result, albeit a highly informative one. That's why I mentioned humility in my earlier post.

Anyway, if you're interested, this article is a good overview of the field:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20130718-in-the-hunt-for-dark-matter-promises-to-keep/

The image at the beginning is the detector that will be used in the experiment I'm working on.

Agreed

Simple 2 minute test for anyone not accepting this

Place your cd player on a hard surface, have a listen then place it on the carpet or any soft bouncy surface, if you hear no difference your lying for the sake of it, sorry.

Purite needs to carry out this very simple & quick test for himself otherwise it's pointless making comment.

I doubt he will admit he hears a difference to save face so maybe a little pointless.

Yep, just finished moving my oppo between its mdf shelf, solid wooden floor and carpet with underlay.

Not one single difference in the sound.

Perhaps you have a problem with your player?

Proven physics is not black and white thinking. Your room has deleterious acoustic modes which have an several orders more audibility than the daft plastic clips in your stand.

You are just in denial and it's pretty embarrassing

Embarrassing?!

Get over yourself!

advertisement

Back