advertisement

Is the Metropolitan Police institutionally corrupt?

My experience of working amongst NHS management is not as fondly remembered. But this is a police corruption and crap performance thread, so I’ll stay on topic. FWIW I had a similar reputation when dealing with misconduct matters, not that that will mean anything.
It was far from a fond remembrance. I’m not suggesting bullying, homophobia, racism etc is unique to the police service. Bullying is rife in the NHS. Nor was I surprised by the allegations uncovered in the fire service. Like the police, it is a historically male dominated profession and historically organised on quasi-militaristic lines, indeed part of its origins were as part of the police force.

But my substantive point is the disproportionate level of gross misconduct in the police force that seems to avoid dismissal. This article is a few years old now, but remains pertinent.

But my substantive point is the disproportionate level of gross misconduct in the police force that seems to avoid dismissal. This article is a few years old now, but remains pertinent.
There is a very high bar to dismissal and inordinately complex procedures that don't exist elsewhere. We're only talking about thugs with few qualififcations too not even the higher echelons. I remember back in the 80s Anderton the Chief Constable of GMP used to present himself as Oliver Cromwell reincarnated!

Fully appreciate your point.

There is a very high bar to dismissal and inordinately complex procedures that don't exist elsewhere.
I have been left for 8 1/2 years, now, but my recollection (and from my conversations with ex-colleagues) is procedures have been noticeably freed up. Indeed, I recall in my time as a supervisor several cases being fast tracked - none of which made the news(obviously not regarding Met officers or staff)

Fully appreciate your point.

I have been left for 8 1/2 years, now, but my recollection (and from my conversations with ex-colleagues) is procedures have been noticeably freed up. Indeed, I recall in my time as a supervisor several cases being fast tracked - none of which made the news(obviously not regarding Met officers or staff)
I think by now you’ll be in little doubt of my view of the police. However, it has never been personally directed at individual officers, some of whom I’m sure joined up believing that they would be serving a socially useful function.

Have you been watching the current Scandi-drama Prisoner? Without giving any spoilers away, it concerns the process of how corruption becomes embedded and how, despite good intentions, banding together and covering each others arses becomes more important than adhering to procedure and doing the right thing.

Have you been watching the current Scandi-drama Prisoner?
I’ve not watched that. Too many policing series are too way off the mark for me. I did do consultancy after leaving service, so my CPD isn’t too out of date. Procedurally most British cop drama’s are way off, in this regard. FWIW my skill set was wide, including discipline, HR, PACE, public order, F/arms etc etc.

On a personal note, please accept my thanks for your objective writing in expressing your opinion, when responding to any of my posts. It’s much appreciated.

‘Police and other emergency services’ say the labels… the article is well worth reading in full.

’The IOPC said its investigations had shown the need for “clear, well-communicated guidance for police” that helped them identify cases where medical intervention was urgent and restraint posed a “clear and obvious danger”. It said it welcomed new research into use of the terms “to better understand how emergency services can respond appropriately and give the correct care”, but that any changes “must not undo the progress made”.

My recollection is use of force statements did use these terms in certain cases, but should then have gone on to be more detailed and explicit in any decisions arrived at. Clearly there are cases where this did not happen.

Only four out of 10 people in England say they trust the police, with the UK’s biggest force, the Metropolitan police, getting the lowest confidence score, research has found.

The poll surveyed nine English regions, in eight of which female respondents had greater trust in the police than male respondents. But for the Met in London, hit by a succession of scandals, women trusted Britain’s largest force less than men.

advertisement

Back