advertisement

Is the Metropolitan Police institutionally corrupt?

I suspect that part of the problem is that thorough and rigorous vetting is a long-winded and costly process, especially if you are looking beyond the obvious cases where individuals have been prosecuted and found guilty.

The case of Carrick should never have taken 20 years, so many accusations should have made them investigate more thoroughly at least 3 or 4 "lessons have been learnt" and "we will be more transparent and accountables" ago. The "Met" will always "fall short" and need replacing as outlined by Mull.

Although obviously a lot of caring, decent and reasonable police exist it seems that they recruit uneducated security types with a thuggish approach to the role.

I have never been personally involved but I lost any respect when they punched, kicked and kneed people during Covid. Disgraceful scenes at Clapham and their treatment of women further emphasized by a lunatic sergeant deliberately pushing women over in Norwich the other day.

What a tough guy, being violent to women.

Do not think that I would ever trust a policeman who often do not know the laws and lies they enforce.

Sadly Dixon of Dock Green has long gone but a definite strip and search of policing is long over due.

and so it goes on...

An investigator has revealed she quit her job at the police watchdog over the handling of a complaint about the stop and search of two black athletes.

Bianca Williams and Ricardo Dos Santos were stopped by police in July 2020 while driving through west London.

The Met Police referred the case to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.

Trisha Napier, who assessed the actions of the officers involved, said her investigation was later "watered down", something the IOPC vehemently denies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64304500

It occurred to me that the only way to disrupt the institution's ingrained, and effectively 'hereditary' racism, misogyny and broadly right wing culture, is to disrupt the organisation itself. Govts, especially recent Tory Govts, have not been above taking on large organisations..albeit opposing organisations, especially Trade Unions and whole industries. It can be done, but as you say it requires the political will, and it's clear that the Tories only will is to leave office having trousered as much loot as possible, which in turn requires a compliant, not to say corrupt Met.
Easy to say and probably very difficult to do, but I'd employ the equivalent of straining a tin of contaminated paint through a fine mesh into a clean container. Create a new Police Force with new leadership. Run it in parallel with the existing and staff it with both new recruits and applicants from the existing force via very stringent EXTERNAL vetting, finally closing down the old force.
I agree, if you can’t trust the Police then society is broken.

Although obviously a lot of caring, decent and reasonable police exist it seems that they recruit uneducated security types with a thuggish approach to the role.

I have never been personally involved but I lost any respect when they punched, kicked and kneed people during Covid. Disgraceful scenes at Clapham and their treatment of women further emphasized by a lunatic sergeant deliberately pushing women over in Norwich the other day.

What a tough guy, being violent to women.

Do not think that I would ever trust a policeman who often do not know the laws and lies they enforce.

Sadly Dixon of Dock Green has long gone but a definite strip and search of policing is long over due.
So I am willing to cede that the food police far outweigh the bad but if you turn a blind eye to the really, really bad then the whole system is done. Good police would shop the scumbags in an instant, why haven’t they?

1) There are no good ones left/they get sacked for ruining the gig for the others.
2) The superiors do eff all.
3) The superiors are as bad/worse/relying on the same lack of scrutiny when it's their turn to be scrutinised.

The Met at least seems to be beyond redemption.

Two years after the event:

Four Metropolitan Police officers are being investigated after the strip-search of a 15-year-old girl in London.

The girl's mother made a complaint following the search at Walworth Police Station, Kennington, on 11 December 2020, after her daughter's arrest.

A police sergeant and three police constables have been given misconduct notices by the police watchdog.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64330045

Speaking from experience, bitter experience, sometimes despite your training and experience you don't spot it.

I'm sure that's true in some cases. But you surely would be able to spot, for example, a colleague removing their badge number at a protest?

The police have a culture of looking after their own. It's understandable considering the difficult job they do. But I imagine that can sometimes make it very hard for officers to report bad behaviour without making themselves very unpopular. Who is going to want to work with the guy that grasses on their mates?

I'm sure that's true in some cases. But you surely would be able to spot, for example, a colleague removing their badge number at a protest?

I’m sure. I would add that I policed plenty of public order events, including mutual aid to other forces, and never witnessed this. These included demonstrations, marches and football matches .

Ironically, I was on the group that bought initial and surnames onto epaulettes into the force I served.

I realise the above may come across as being a bit self righteous on my part, but I am referring to facts and lived experience.

I’ve read post 129. The Met referred that to the IOPC. It’s well worth reading the full press release.

Not really relevant in this case but I take your wider point.

It might not be relevant to you, but there are others on here making some interesting comments about 'it should be obvious' etc.

Sometimes it can be obvious. Sometimes it isn't. But none of this suits the narrative, nor does it excuse the behaviour exhibited by the serving officers and staff in the situations referred to.

It might not be relevant to you, but there are others on here making some interesting comments about 'it should be obvious' etc.

Sometimes it can be obvious. Sometimes it isn't. But none of this suits the narrative, nor does it excuse the behaviour exhibited by the serving officers and staff in the situations referred to.
Well, the particular miscreant in question was nicknamed ‘the rapist’ among hilarious police banter so I suggest ‘good coppers’ did know & turned a blind eye.

Let’s be honest if the police can’t spot the criminals within their ranks how can they be trusted to police the public?

advertisement

Back