advertisement

Is malware possible on an iPad?

linnfomaniac83

I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!
This one is doing my nut, I'm trying to navigate through eBay on my iPad and I'm constantly linked out to dodgy sites, first it was one of those that tell you've won something with google's motif in the background and now I keep getting this...

tCYdjBU.jpg

I don't know what to stop it.:mad:

Strange, I was getting redirects on my iPad every time I went onto eBay pages last week of the ‘Congratulations, click here!’ type. I cleared my browsing history/cache and it stopped.

IOS is fairly secure, that looks like safari so I'd say it was the ebay adverts that have been hijacked with redirects rather than your ipad.

It could be a safari extension so may be worth checking and removing any you don't recognise but I think safari should only allow signed ones to be installed.

IOS is fairly secure, that looks like safari so I'd say it was the ebay adverts that have been hijacked with redirects rather than your ipad.

It could be a safari extension so may be worth checking and removing any you don't recognise but I think safari should only allow signed ones to be installed.
Yes, it's Safari, it's the only browser I use on iOS and macOS, mainly because it's so far given me no issues and the Handoff feature is quite useful. I'll have a look in the settings but I didn't think extensions could be installed on the iOS version. I recently had to uninstall some from a friend's mac along with a whole load of other faffing because being a naive designer shoe and handbag enthusiast installed some fake shopping/voucher add on, that's the first time id seen any problems on safari, it had affected Chrome too.

Strange, I was getting redirects on my iPad every time I went onto eBay pages last week of the ‘Congratulations, click here!’ type. I cleared my browsing history/cache and it stopped.

Google Chrome does that too. A check with various malware killers after it happened showed that there was nothing installed.

This is exactly what’s happened to me over the past week. I cleared the safari history, re-entered passwords on ebay and verywhere else but still ebay redirects me to this merd

2r21ydu.jpg

That’s definitely the type of URL I was getting - but slightly different every time. Bloody EU - this won’t happen after Brexit, you know.

Oh the irony of "google membership rewards" offering the top of the range iphone as well as the bottom of the range pixel as a prize.

This is exactly what’s happened to me over the past week. I cleared the safari history, re-entered passwords on ebay and verywhere else but still ebay redirects me to this merd

2r21ydu.jpg
Yep, I’ve seen a lot of those, it’s getting really annoying now.

I don't have any AV, antimalware or adblockers on my laptops or machines at home. Everything is protected at the edge by Cisco Meraki which I got to test for work.

I would recommend the Sophos UTM home and Untangle which are both free and will block all these types of things at the edge, i've used both of them but my preference is now for Sophos as I've been using it since the days it was Astaro.

If you pay the $50 fee for untangle it does unlock the antimalware and becomes better than Sophos though.

https://www.sophos.com/en/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx

https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall/

Download Chrome or Firefox and see if they do the same

Also; try it in incognito mode and again, log in and see what it does

This one is doing my nut, I'm trying to navigate through eBay on my iPad and I'm constantly linked out to dodgy sites, first it was one of those that tell you've won something with google's motif in the background and now I keep getting this...

tCYdjBU.jpg

I don't know what to stop it.:mad:

I had just the same on my iPad yesterday (latest iOS, Safari). I dumped all cookies and website history and it has been ok since.

I had just the same on my iPad yesterday (latest iOS, Safari). I dumped all cookies and website history and it has been ok since.
I’ve just done the same and it seems okay so far... it’s annoying that we have to do this though.

I don't have any AV, antimalware or adblockers on my laptops or machines at home. Everything is protected at the edge by Cisco Meraki which I got to test for work.

I would recommend the Sophos UTM home and Untangle which are both free and will block all these types of things at the edge, i've used both of them but my preference is now for Sophos as I've been using it since the days it was Astaro.

If you pay the $50 fee for untangle it does unlock the antimalware and becomes better than Sophos though.

https://www.sophos.com/en/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx

https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall/

I wanted to try sophos but could not get past the first hurdle of setting the damn thing up. Untangle has a really nice interface to start up you tell it what nix is wan and lan and you are away, the sophos seemed to want me to manually set up the bridge between interfaces which was super confusing so I gave up (Three times actually over the years trying to get it too work)

Anyhow I am settled on untangle now, as a home user for 5 bucks a month you have access to everything they do and its very good.

your browser doesn't have a DNS (it will use a proxy gateway or the NIC DNS)

Jesus, I would have cut and paste the window if I knew the pendants were in.

Thanks for your help.

advertisement

Back