advertisement

Is lady gaga really a musical genius?

"64-yr old academic and literary critic dislikes Lady Gaga", prefers Madonna.

Her Sunday Times article contains gems like:

"Generation Gaga doesn't identify with powerful vocal styles because their own voices have atrophied. They communicate mutely via a constant stream of atomized, telegraphic text messages. Gaga's flat affect doesn't bother them because they are not attuned to facial expressions"

You honestly couldn't make it up.

...but gems like that are the joy of camille paglia.

(you are also contradicting yourself by inviting us to imagine a stereotypic 64 year-old academic; paglia is hardly that)

this one is more entertaining:
Gaga, for all her writhing and posturing, is asexual. Going off to the gym in broad daylight, as Gaga recently did, dressed in a black bustier, fishnet stockings and stiletto heels isn’t sexy – it’s sexually dysfunctional.

reminds me of this classic:

vuk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm aware of who she is, yes. I just googled her to refresh my memory and get her age right.

No.
I also gave Sex, Art and Political Culture a miss, and avoided Break, Blow, Burn while I was at it, but I did read "Care and Feeding of 3CX Ceramic Tubes".

Now for the question that's been bothering me: was J.S. Bach a great dancer, or was he just a dude?

A read of her biography on Wikipedia is pretty long for someone still only 25 years old, and she certainly isn't a product of anyone's manufacture - she is the real deal. Obviously a very determined and talented artist whether you like her or not and very much more of a modern day Bowie than a Madonna

Whilst she may have more talent than Madonna (not so difficult), please don't compare her to Bowie and expect agreement. Bowie was a musical genius, commonly regarded as writing some of the most important pop music of the 21st century.

I'm guessing you've never listened to her Broken English album then?
Don't think so, heard her performing stuff on TV a few years ago, 80s/90s, exploring her drug addictions, I thought it was deeply uninspired. Is Broken English worth listening to then?

To put all this in perspective, vuk doesn't even like The Beatles.

...and to put this into perspective:

I think vuk is like me, in this respect if no other. I feel like I should listen to 'out there; stuff, but when I do it just sounds like a bloody row. I'm best with the stuff with a proper tune that you can sing along to, Abba, stuff like that, and have learned to leave Sun Ra, Eric Dolphy, Schoenberg and Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music to them as likes that kind of thing.

although, i have to confess that i do like schoenberg ;-)

vuk.

p.s. i did like the beatles when i was twelve.

Now for the question that's been bothering me: was J.S. Bach a great dancer, or was he just a dude?

he was a dude who went on an awesome 300km road trip by foot just to hear buxtehude jam.

vuk.

from the comment section of a guardian article in which the author contested paglia's observations....

Staff
RosieSwash

13 September 2010 1:47PM

Yesterday, Gaga walked the red carpet with four discharged servicemen and women who had fallen victim to the "don't ask, don't tell' policy. She is anything but vacuous.

wow. the UK is really in for it when a lefty feminist starts defending the establishment like this (i was already terrified when sideshowbob came out in favour of corporate pop-culture in this very thread).

just imagine bob dylan prancing on stage in a crazy outfit centering around nakedness, singing about nothing especially memorable, always keen on sporting a provocative costume and wig when deliberately caught outdoors. then, after cashing in for a couple of years on the hype, parading four vietnam amputees on stage as the next publicity stunt.

vuk.

Whilst she may have more talent than Madonna (not so difficult), please don't compare her to Bowie and expect agreement. Bowie was a musical genius, commonly regarded as writing some of the most important pop music of the 21st century.

Eh? What has DB produced of interest in the 21st century?

(don't think his 20th century production was so hot either. I listened and re-listened to Ziggy Stardust the other day and I just can't see what the hype is about).

just imagine bob dylan prancing on stage in a crazy outfit centering around nakedness, singing about nothing especially memorable, always keen on sporting a provocative costume and wig when deliberately caught outdoors. then, after cashing in for a couple of years on the hype, parading four vietnam amputees on stage as the next publicity stunt.

vuk.

Dylan doesn't do semi-nakedness too well but he gets up to all sorts of strange things on stage these days, like performing as if he doesn't give a damn about either the singing or the playing. Essentially just in it for the money. Not so different from Gaga really.

check out "why d'ya do it?

On similar vein, lucinda Williams "everything is wrong"

Sleazy milf lazy drawl. Loose band. Top production. Nice.

Eh? What has DB produced of interest in the 21st century?

(don't think his 20th century production was so hot either. I listened and re-listened to Ziggy Stardust the other day and I just can't see what the hype is about).

Contextuality is all in these discussions. You need to argue your case in the relevant years. What else was going on musically when Ziggy was released? Can you know what its influence was at the time? And so on for every album Bowie released through the years.

The case is always made for the Velvet Underground .. very few people saw them live or bought their album originally but those who did went on to form their own bands. New York Dolls had the same influence and effect.

Bowie has had an utterly huge effect upon the course of modern music. I would argue that Glam, New romantic ,and whatever all those Duran/Spandau/ Ultravox /Abc band are categorised as, would be totally different without his influence. He was first.. always the hardest thing. It's easy to follow, very hard to lead.

( Just to declare any interest,I don't own a single Bowie album.. admire his talent though )

advertisement

Back