advertisement

Is lady gaga really a musical genius?

Of course she is anyone who can wear a telephone on there head and get away with it is a genius.

I tried her approach the following week by wearing a canon 3 in one photocopier on my head whilst shopping with the kids but got sectioned.

Her music is very boring, but she's moderately entertaining as a character.

I'd go along with that. Poker Face is a good pure pop song, i.e. well structured, catchy hooks, memorable etc. I can't remember anything about any other tracks musically, only visually.

Tony.

I don't know any music of her, apart from maybe one or two songs that went past and I just had the time to think 'oh so that's her'.

She's ace. original and already a fashion icon like grace jones. not a terribly good singer or musician and a really pretty poor dancer but its hardly the point. pop is. and with her own unique/ odd style + great tunes written for her + any old good choreographer in tow (ie as little for her to do best/ just be centre stage looking wow basically) she'll continue to be way ahead of the pack for ages. Loved her phone-hat and her meat dress/ barking mad, genuinely weird, and amusing at the same time: really good art/ performance art I thought. 'Genius?' do me a favour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R3KqrJAI4

Several musical friends think that she is a good musician.

And, we are oldies!!!

That's actually the first time I've ever knowingly listened to her, and I have to admit, whilst I wouldn't use the word 'genius', she's certainly not devoid of talent. Respectable pianist, singer, and songwriter too, it seems. I'm surprised, as I had so far avoided paying her any attention, and actually found the whole concept of her highly irritating. Pleasantly surprised, though I won't be rushing out to buy an album.

I see her as a very astute businesswoman with a keen understanding of the importance of novelty in our culture.

vuk,

With all due respect, you're starting to sound like an old fuddy fuddy. You'll be deploring the collapse of morality and educational standards any time now.

It's showbiz, for heaven's sake.

...operating in a variation on the oldest profession.

vuk.

Are all successful women in show business prostituting themselves or just a few? Or just the ones who have had their hits all over Europe and/or North America?

Vuk. She's a bit sharper than that. There is no money in prostitution if you are poor and desperate enough to be a prostitute.

ga ga ga , ga ga ga ga ga , ga ga gaa gaaa gaaaaaa , shes ga ga.
Remember , you can gold plate a turd and sell it to someone as solid gold , theres mugs out there.

With all due respect, you're starting to sound like an old fuddy fuddy. You'll be deploring the collapse of morality and educational standards any time now.

It's showbiz, for heaven's sake.

sorry that i haven't articulated my view clearly--i thought it was all self-evident and i'm certainly not going to do a better job than my fellow-prude here, camille paglia...

very surprised by pfm reactions here.

thanks to the poster above for that link.

vuk.

"64-yr old academic and literary critic dislikes Lady Gaga", prefers Madonna.

Her Sunday Times article contains gems like:

"Generation Gaga doesn't identify with powerful vocal styles because their own voices have atrophied. They communicate mutely via a constant stream of atomized, telegraphic text messages. Gaga's flat affect doesn't bother them because they are not attuned to facial expressions"

You honestly couldn't make it up.

advertisement

Back