advertisement

Is it time for active speakers?

how can a vendor be allowed to spread his marketing plot on a forum is beyond me.

Becasue he is very proficient at prolonging any thread involving stuff he sells without venturing anywhere near the limits of the PFM Rules of Conduct.

Becasue he is very proficient at prolonging any thread involving stuff he sells without venturing anywhere near the limits of the PFM Rules of Conduct.

his goal to being here is to get a sale. every post he makes is toward making a sale. his opinion on gear is not to be believed, totally financially biased.

when asked direct questions contradicting his BS sale marketing statements, he is evasive or will literally offer disinformation. he is never able to defend his "opinion" since his opinion is simply marketing blabble that he repeats.

I dont see what positive he brings to this community. furthermore, his many posts and long presence as a user here gives him notoriety. this might make some newcomers in this hobby believe him and fall into his BS. shame on pfm to allow this

Keith pays his bills so is perfectly entitled to post. Ok, some content is a little close to trolling on some threads (e.g. he has no business thread-crapping cable threads etc), but I've no issue here. It is entirely different to shills/freeloaders trying to use the website for business without paying.

PS If you think he's wrong you are obviously perfectly free to point that out! He often is IMHO! ;-)

his goal to being here is to get a sale. every post he makes is toward making a sale. his opinion on gear is not to be believed, totally financially biased.

when asked direct questions contradicting his BS sale marketing statements, he is evasive or will literally offer disinformation. he is never able to defend his "opinion" since his opinion is simply marketing blabble that he repeats.

I dont see what positive he brings to this community. furthermore, his many posts and long presence as a user here gives him notoriety. this might make some newcomers in this hobby believe him and fall into his BS. shame on pfm to allow this

Well that's your opinion of course.

Others may well differ.

I didn't get the impression that there are many newcomers to the audiophile world - mostly it appears populated by baby boomer grumpy old men in the main, in my experience.

advantage of dsp, how?
cardioid respones made via dsp? geithain do it passively
room dsp correction? bass traps and first reflections panels are miles better at this.

Have you tried software dsp room correction or are you just arguing because it's Keith?
I agree that panels, bass traps etc are a better solution but not everybody wants a lounge that looks like a nut house cell.
I am using the Genelec actives with Genelec dsp software. It works a treat. You can also adjust the eq live and then store it if you wish to your own taste. They have built in DACs so no other hardware is needed apart from a computer and cables.
A hi fi dealers nightmare...

Yeah but i think the room/setup comes first, i'm honestly thinking of jacking it in, selling the NHTs, as i think you can 85-90% of the way there without spending the earth, IMO the last 5% in my limited experience are what the big JBL's do (make it sound like a bands playing in front of you), then the last 5% onto MBLs and exotica... and speakers that look like golf bags.

Who knows really eh? I like the idea of having a small full range speaker, instead of a large speaker that looks like a robot, a speaker that does it all, ie one that doesn't exist, if i really think about about it i dont know why im here now? i suppose it it's an excuse to not do any hoovering!

Based on our measurements the Dutch and Dutch 8cs actually do, do it all. Just one of the aspects that makes them so desirable. Other aspects of their performance beyond perfection include standard issue daily handjobs and the ability to interpret Finnigan's Wake on request.

Theyre on permanent dem here at purite where we've sold them mainly to mixing studios, wealthy individuals, wealthy studios, and hookers large penises.

I've been interested in the Genelec system for a while. Surely you need some kind of dac still? How do you cable them?

Nope,
No DAC required. I use Mac mini -Weiss int 202 FireWire/thunderbolt to AES converter-straight into AES gens. Int202 or Mac is volume. You can also use the genelec dsp software for the volume if you wish but it has to be running and networked. Quite a slimline system compared to my previous bryston 7bsst and PMC IB2i setup!!

Based on our measurements the Dutch and Dutch 8cs actually do, do it all. Just one of the aspects that makes them so desirable. Other aspects of their performance beyond perfection include standard issue daily handjobs and the ability to interpret Finnigan's Wake on request.

Theyre on permanent dem here at purite where we've sold them mainly to mixing studios, wealthy individuals, wealthy studios, and hookers large penises.

Hookers large penises aside, the benefit of speakers such as the D&D 8Cs ,Kii's and Beolabs is that they inject less off-axis response in the first instance , less energy in the room to be corrected.
The 8260's were great but the room resonance was crazy without the GLM.
Keith

Hookers large penises aside, the benefit of speakers such as the D&D 8Cs ,Kii's and Beolabs is that they inject less off-axis response in the first instance , less energy in the room to be corrected.
The 8260's were great but the room resonance was crazy without the GLM.
Keith

Indeed, the Genelec GLM (dsp) does a great job. Makes you realise how wrong you can get it by just plonking a set of speakers in a room!!!

lol
room correction is no substitue nor advise until proper speaker placement and best listening position ( which takes day to perfection with measuring gear) and serious room treatment

to apply room correction before those steps is not recommended by any acoustician. it will actually make things worse. this is well covered at gearslutz acoustic forum

but of course shady vendors who sells active speakers with built in room correction wont stress that aspect. BS again, bad advise, lies by omission

lol
room correction is no substitue nor advise until proper speaker placement and best listening position ( which takes day to perfection with measuring gear) and serious room treatment

to apply room correction before those steps is not recommended by any acoustician. it will actually make things worse. this is well covered at gearslutz acoustic forum

but of course shady vendors who sells active speakers with built in room correction wont stress that aspect. BS again, bad advise, lies by omission

Yeap, room treatment is great, is covered in Gearslutz... But when you live in a normal household with a family etc is it really realistic to pad out your room?
Also when using pro monitors out and about you don't have the option to spend a day setting up your acoustics so the GLM is pretty handy.
Do you agree with anything or are you just another trolling keyboard warrior looking to ruin threads with arguements?

maybe you missed the part where i said: room correction without finding best listening position, speaker position and room treatment makes things worse. this is well covered. it will make things worse, not better.

maybe you missed the part where i said: room correction without finding best listening position, speaker position and room treatment makes things worse. this is well covered. it will make things worse, not better.

I would certainly agree that it is best to optimise the speaker and listening position first and that room correction is not a true substitute for physical room treatments.

However, room correction is unlikely to make things worse unless it is implemented incorrectly.

I think everyone would agree that a dedicated room, with 'ideal' acoustic behaviour and soffit mounted loudspeakers into an appropriately massy wall is the ideal.
Keith

Yeap, room treatment is great, is covered in Gearslutz... But when you live in a normal household with a family etc is it really realistic to pad out your room?

Yes, but the way to get around WAF issues is to get panels with attractive fabric covers, which you can choose as a family. Then you have two options; either make the panels yourself, or send the fabric to a company like CM acoustics or GIK for them to customise the panels with your fabric.

I made some panels recently; it was quite time consuming and harder work than I imagined, so it made me realise what good value a company like CM acoustics are, but it was highly worthwhile.

Also when using pro monitors out and about you don't have the option to spend a day setting up your acoustics so the GLM is pretty handy.
Do you agree with anything or are you just another trolling keyboard warrior looking to ruin threads with arguements?

I think everyone would agree that a dedicated room, with 'ideal' acoustic behaviour and soffit mounted loudspeakers into an appropriately massy wall is the ideal.
Keith
actually, thats not what i said so ill repeat:room correction without finding best listening position, speaker position and room treatment makes things worse. this is well covered. it will make things worse, not better.

i hope you inform your consumers about this... otherwise your basically lying to them by ommitig to tell the whole story

Placing panels on a wall is not particularly effective.

By the 1/4 wavelength rule, absorbent material needs to be placed away from the wall/ceiling at a distance of 1/4 of the wavelength of the lowest frequency to be absorbed. Some studios have absorbent material 2m away from the wall and ceiling needs to be treated too.

How much WAF would that get?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bas...ckness-rule-really-valid-acoustic-panels.html
note the BBC achieved great absorption down to 50Hz with their 12" deep modules.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12147540-post2.html

¼ wavelength of depth is where the efficiency of a porous absorber is at maximum. You can reach descent efficiency down to 100 Hz using “only” 8” of depth:

advertisement

Back