advertisement

Is Audio a true addiction?

Definitely an addiction for me.
Though it's changed over the years and almost gone full circle.
As a kid the addiction was for old used kit, big receivers, flashy amps, ways to mould the sound etc. For a few decades it morphed into tweakery and following fads but now I'm headed back to enjoying things as I did in my teens.

They say we live and learn :)

The frequency of box swapping on these forums (a new rig every month?!) and the arrogant Savior Behavior insisting others are delusional with what they hear amazes me.

Have we cornered the market on Internet whackos?

Look at what you did there, dave! (post immediately after yours.)

You mention them and they come running....

Steve, no audiophile can really accuse another of being a whacko, now surely ;)

Nothing wrong with being a whacko so long as you aren't harming anyone.
I tend to prefer the company of other slightly whacky folk. More interesting and fun.

It's all been done before hasn't it.

Very good point Mark.
One thing this addiction teaches (or should) is that re-invention is rife.

As a kid the addiction was for old used kit, big receivers, flashy amps, ways to mould the sound etc. For a few decades it morphed into tweakery and following fads but now I'm headed back to enjoying things as I did in my teens.

Thats just plain weird, you need to get some help :D

Btw, lest anyone get the wrong idea about me, I'm no HLO, I just like seeing effort and money well spent.

It all makes a difference sure but time is lost chasing the miniscule IMO.

Mark

The frequency of box swapping on these forums (a new rig every month?!) and the arrogant Savior Behavior insisting others are delusional with what they hear amazes me.

Have we cornered the market on Internet whackos?

Not at all - it's just a symptom of pfm not having no preset agenda or ideology. The 'quiet' forums are either manufacturer marketing tools (covert or not) or heavily moderated soap-boxes for those with strong views. pfm is none of these things, and all the better for it IMO. I care not the slightest about what audio kit a person choses to use or the method they go about selecting it. On a personal level I do find the extent to which some become entrenched rather amusing, even disturbing on occasion, but it's also much of the life and dynamics of the place and is hugely preferable to my eyes to the alternatives. As for subjectivist / objectivist, analogue / digital, valve / transistor, active / passive, vintage / current, box-swapping / staying put etc? Who cares? There's nothing more boring than everyone doing the same thing! This should always be a forum full of people who think for themselves and find their own solutions, however intelligent / daft they may be - I've very little time or respect for herd mentality.

Tony -A few have mentioned being caught up in fads, cults (FE Thing), collectives, etc but I still sense a feeling of Bibles about to be pounded.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

regards,

dave

A few have mentioned being caught up in fads, cults (FE Thing), collectives, etc but I still sense a feeling of Bibles about to be pounded.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

So put it way then.

Fads and cults are a perfectly legitimate and obvious part of the discussion to have when looking at hi-fi as an addiction or obsession. Many on pfm will have been through these periods and it's all part of the process.

That's about my journey too - I have a feeling I'm no longer 'an audiophile', just a music fan who likes fiddling about with classic audio kit.

Rob,

My concern is that one church has simply been traded for another limiting a free exchange of thought.

regards,

dave

If it weren't for the arguments what would be argue about?

Joe

True...but how can we discover new things when you're only allowed to do things the way things have always been done before;-)

Rob,

My concern is that one church has simply been traded for another limiting a free exchange of thought.

regards,

dave

I just see a more varied and balanced congregation.

For a good decade or two here in the uk we had the almost total domination of one particular church serving two particular gods and with a slavishly loyal group of apostles, and this was a church with some particularly aggressive tendencies - it really was a religion in the most literal sense. The whole market is incomparably more free and open today. Hi-fi today has never been more free and non-aligned.

True...but how can we discover new things when you're only allowed to do things the way things have always been done before;-)

Because as humans we learn from experience. What went before shapes what comes next, and sometimes our intelligence and experience teaches us that progress in some areas is finite.

It's all intended in a much lighter hearted way than it comes across most of the time, the internet can lose that immediacy of face to face, the friendly cues, the easy atmosphere. Easily stilted by a well meaning poorly made remark.

Bibles? Pah!

(I nearly converted a thirty year old J witness to atheism last week, did they knocked on the wrong door!)

I very much agree... we live and learn.

I started out in HiFi, interested in collecting mainly classical music on vinyl, although I did collect quite a lot of the contemporary music of the time on vinyl as well, and the gear was very much secondary to that interest - being able to listen to recorded music of high quality, in the home.

After several 'upgrades' of individual items, I ended up with a Thorens TD125 Mk II/SME 3009/Shure V15III combo, Rait amp (copy of a Radford) and B&W DM2a's.

During the near twenty years I had that setup, my record collection grew substantially, but there was never any thought of swapping out the kit for something else - I was very satisfied.

The arrival of CD changed all that, and I had to change with it to be able to continue my collection of music. A Naim CDI was the CD player that I heard at the time that came the closest to my TT in terms of freedom from a harsh, or brittle sound, which seemed to typify so many early CD players and discs, and so, duly purchased, a full Naim setup followed, to match so to speak.

I was very happy with it for a number of years, but then for whatever reason, perhaps magazines, perhaps internet forums sowing dis-content, I started to tweak, and found I became quite obsessive about warming up rituals, cable dressing rituals and so on, such that the kit became more important than the music, and I ended up spending more time listening to what the kit was doing with the music, than the music itself.

The arrival of, and my interest in AV in the home, became another addition to the system in terms of hardware, and one that along with the growing frustration at all the seemingly necessary obsessive system tweaking, ultimately led me in another direction as regards source and amplifier brands.

I've recently moved further again with computer audio sources, Bluray for movies, and now a new, fully integrated AV system, that some would dismiss as being 'lifestyle', but certainly do feel as if I've come full circle, as the tweaking, and importantly the feeling of the need to tweak and obsess has departed, and I have finally a level of ownership satisfaction and contentment that I first experienced with that Thorens/SME/Shure/Rait/B&W system all those decades ago.

So yes, one does indeed live and learn...

JB

It's all intended in a much lighter hearted way than it comes across most of the time, the internet can lose that immediacy of face to face, the friendly cues, the easy atmosphere. Easily stilted by a well meaning poorly made remark.

Bibles? Pah!

(I nearly converted a thirty year old J witness last week, they knocked on the wrong door!)

I think that's especially true - it's really easy to inadvertently offend someone when text is the only method of communication.

JB

I just see a more varied and balanced congregation.

For a good decade or two here in the uk we had the almost total domination of one particular church serving two particular gods and with a slavishly loyal group of apostles, and this was a church with some particularly aggressive tendencies - it really was a religion in the most literal sense. The whole market is incomparably more free and open today. Hi-fi today has never been more free and non-aligned.

Because as humans we learn from experience. What went before shapes what comes next, and sometimes our intelligence and experience teaches us that progress in some areas is finite.

+1

Excellent post as always Robert

JB

Bibles? Pah!

(I nearly converted a thirty year old J witness last week, they knocked on the wrong door!)

Exactly.
The classic example is the 'when Steve met James' to enjoy some ATCs thread.
Years or forum angst replaced by sweetness and light when face to face, having a beer and a chat.

I'm particularly upset by this new union since I'll miss the entertaining forum spats ;)

advertisement

Back