advertisement

Is an 86” lcd too big?

Still using a Panasonic 32" CRT here. A few years ago a mate of mine who used to be in hifi/electronic retail spotted it and had a good chuckle, he couldn't believe his eyes. It was second hand when I bought it, I guesss it's probably late 90s or turn of the century. Still does the job.

By the way, why does everybody have their screen so far up the wall? I want a screen at head height, I don't want to crane my neck upwards. Isn't that uncomfortable?

wow it must be BIIIIIIIIIG. I remember seeing large wide screen CRTS at my local Currys and they must have weighed a ton. I like my 27" Iiyama AMVA panel from my media center pc. good contrast. cheap also. I have mine on a trolly that I can move around, no need for a Godzilla screen

I sit less than 6 feet away from a 55” 4K LG, which is very much at the closer end of the recommended range. It’s great, immersive, involving, takes over my visual field, yet can’t see the pixels in 4K. I would definitely go for the biggest screen you can, and follow the Dolby/THX recommendations for movies.

not everyone. But many lay prone on a sofa to watch. I'd love to put mine on the ceiling
I've often thought that the best way to watch telly on your own would be to stick it on a bedroom ceiling and use some great headphones. Keeps the vulgar box out of line of sight, too.

86” would certainly be way too big for me. I currently have a 43” set and I don’t want anything bigger.

I think the decision has to do in part with the proportion of time the set spends showing images and the proportion it spends glowering like a gigantic black hole at the end of the room. For me the ratio is about 5:95, so I prefer smaller.

I've always thought big TVs a little vulgar, but when our ageing 32" Samsung finally gave up the ghost recently, I replaced it with a 49" LG Nanocell Freesat Smart TV. Like others have mentioned it doesn't look big for very long, but it it is in perfect proportion to the Kef 103.2's that flank it, which dwarfed our old TV set. The other half was surprised how much she likes it, she didn't expect to be able to tell the difference. I would prefer a projector, but the cable management issues that would raise make my teeth itch. I may yet put one in the dining room, so that can double as a proper cinema room.

I have seen Hi Def 4K HDR demos at Currys and they do look good but how many tv programmes are available ? none? what do standard blu rays look like on those Godzilla screens ( standard blue ray is just 2 mega pixel). I can see my self getting a 40" but thats about it. The HDR discs are very expensive.

I have seen Hi Def 4K HDR demos at Currys and they do look good but how many tv programmes are available ? none? what do standard blu rays look like on those Godzilla screens ( standard blue ray is just 2 mega pixel). I can see my self getting a 40" but thats about it. The HDR discs are very expensive.

Netflix has quite a bit of 4K content.

I see no reason not to have a TV the size of the wall if such was also cheap, was of moderate weight and used little power (the technology is very far from that though).

I see no reason not to have a TV the size of the wall if it was cheap and was of moderate weight (the technology is very far from there though).

I was reading about viewing angle today and if you have to move your head to catch details from one side of the screen to the other too often then you’ll end up with a headache, so there is such a thing as being ‘too’ big.

From what I can glean, if you have a room with any soft of ambient light (ie a lamp or two) then the contrast of an oled will in the main be lost, same goes for the deeper blacks.. as soon as you introduce any ambient light the blackest blacks will be unnecessary... They (oleds) are really in their element in a dark room.

Which I don’t have. I have three lamps and two ceiling lights always on so we don’t walk into things.. it’s a living room not a cinema..

Another advantage of an oled over lcd is a wider viewing angle - ie being a brighter image off to the side.. again not a priority as we view head on.

I seriously can’t see in my room the advantage of an oled over an LCD?!

I was reading about viewing angle today and if you have to move your head to catch details from one side of the screen to the other too often then you’ll end up with a headache, so there is such a thing as being ‘too’ big.
True. It wouldn't necessarily happen with a wall-sized TV. Maybe if you pick the long wall in narrow room or sit too near?

Most people would say TVs from 5 years ago look small, and I see this trend holding steady for another decade at least!

True. It wouldn't necessarily happen with a wall-sized TV. Maybe if you pick the long wall in narrow room or sit too near?

Most people would say TVs from 5 years ago look small, and I see this trend continuing for another decade at least!

No doubt. The problem becomes shipping! I once saw LG I believe with a roll up screen... now that would be the answer!!

I saw a roll up screen in the labs at Qinetiq, Malvern many years ago now. These days I would have expected such stuff to get to consumers rather quicker than it is taking.

advertisement

Back