advertisement

Is an 86” lcd too big?

Rug Doc

pfm Member
Any experience with screens bigger than 65”?? I have a 27ft lounge and sit 16ft from the screen.

I currently have a 49” LG and it looks teeny. Was going to get a 65” upgrade but before I buy the bullet I thought it check for ideal screen sizes... now both Dolby and THX screen calculators think that 65 is too small for a 5m viewing distance, but my concern is that a bigger screen will just take over too much..?

Who has bigger than 65 and is happy with it??

Any experience with screens bigger than 65”?? I have a 27ft lounge and sit 16ft from the screen.

I currently have a 49” LG and it looks teeny. Was going to get a 65” upgrade but before I buy the bullet I thought it check for ideal screen sizes... now both Dolby and THX screen calculators think that 65 is too small for a 5m viewing distance, but my concern is that a bigger screen will just take over too much..?

I have a projector and like it very much. But watching is a bit of an occasion - lights off, sound through speakers at a realistic volume. If you have TV on as a background you would find size and volume an unwelcome distraction.
Serious viewing? Fill yer boots...

Get a piece of hardboard/cardboard cut to the size of the screen to try it.

If it helps I bought a 55" LG.

At that size I’d plump for an OLED, the large screen area will show off the better screen tech. LG have 77/83/88 inch models in their 2021 line up, I’m waiting for Black Friday to get the LG 77 C1. Have the 65 CX.

Previously I had a big room and used a PJ with electric drop down screen, this not an option? A PJ makes it a real event with something like a 10 foot screen if you can darken the room sufficiently, PJs are so good these days even in a normally lit room they can work fine.

I’ve had a projector and we also loved it. Just don’t want to go ‘that’ big again..

All tv viewing is done through the Hifi, so have the sound already.

At that size I’d plump for an OLED, the large screen area will show off the better screen tech. LG have 77/83/88 inch models in their 2021 line up, I’m waiting for Black Friday to get the LG 77 C1. Have the 65 CX.

Previously I had a big room and used a PJ with electric drop down screen, this not an option? A PJ makes it a real event with something like a 10 foot screen if you can darken the room sufficiently, PJs are so good these days even in a normally lit room they can work fine.

£4K is just too much.

Gulp
When the first full HD screen came out, about 14 years ago, we paid £6K!

Loved our 120" screen/ projector/ 7.1 Tannoy for a few years in a 30ft room but all gone now, less room and real world 55" 4K is perfect.
I remember buying a 50 inch Kuro in 2008, think it was near five grand, still have it and it’s working perfectly.

Yawn...

Checkout "Sony HMZ T1" OLED 750" head mount display with HDMI lead input c/w earphones.

p

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sony-hmz-t1-personal-3d-viewer-review/

My viewing is amazing after acclimatizing to its wearing.

Second hand on epay around 150 ukp.

Good hunting.

Wow! an unthinkable price only a few years ago. Surely the logistics involved makes this a 'steal'.

I thought so too. The reviews for it on John Lewis are also great. I have a ‘normal’ lcd atm (non 4K only HD) and it’s very adequate from the distance I’m at. Do I really need oled at 16ft?

£4K is just too much.

OLEDS look too glossy, life is not that bright and shiny - bling

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/lg-55un73006la.html

Comes with the 'magic' remote, which has a scroll wheel, on screen pointer. You can even speak to an alien in the room called Alexis if that floats your boat.

Sound quality is remarkable compared to a few years ago, picture quality is just like looking at real life, blacks might not be as squid like as the best.

I'm 13 feet away.

We have a 75 inch hd tv which we bought originally for a 26 foot living room. We downsized to 13 foot living room and it works fine. Mind you neither of us has good eyesight. If you have the space go for it. Have tried a projector but to much faff and noisy.

I remember buying a 50 inch Kuro in 2008, think it was near five grand, still have it and it’s working perfectly.

They weren’t £5k but were very desirable anyway!

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/pioneer-kuro-krp-500a-50in-plasma-tv

I bought and still use the 50" PDP-LX5090 for £1600 in 2009 (RRP £1900). The 60" PDP-LX6090 was just too expensive at over £4k.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/pioneer-kuro-pdp-lx6090-60in-plasma-tv

Amazing what £1600 will get you now but I don’t plan on changing the Kuro any time soon as it’s still a great Tv.

I sold my KURO for just €250 a few years ago. It was obviously not as good as the OLED set that replaced it but was still excellent.

The guy that bought it is elderly and knows zero about tech but always tells me how much he loves it when I meet him. They were pure class!

advertisement

Back