advertisement

iPhone 5 - the audiophile quality music player

Status
Not open for further replies.
accurately but not sounding as good.
my ex mother-in-law wouldn't have any salt, pepper, sauces etc at the dinner table. it spoils the way it is supposed to be tasted she'd say. she couldn't get her head around that it may be true but it added something to the taste and made it more enjoyable.

Perhaps, but I've already said I don't care what it sounds like as long as I know it's accurate. Ditto with my food. In restaurants I don't add sauces or salt etc as I want to taste it as it left the kitchen, i.e as the cook intended me to taste it. As with food as with recordings.

S

Serge,

But what if the pickles are a bit zingy and the mayo a bit dry? Or if the whole meal might benefit from being warmed up a bit?

Joe

Perhaps, but I've already said I don't care what it sounds like as long as I know it's accurate. Ditto with my food. In restaurants I don't add sauces or salt etc as I want to taste it as it left the kitchen, i.e as the cook intended me to taste it. As with food as with recordings.

Bizarre.

Ah, so it's a content-less word. That I do understand. Thanks for the explanation.

S.

No no no, it totally has "content" as a word when seen in its correct context, but this is what happens when a technical term from one discipline is appropriated and used out of context in another discipline, then it loses its content.
It would be like someone sonifying a bunch of Apple serial numbers and then calling it "serial music", i.e. the process of serialism is not inherent in the work. You have to nip such abuses in the bud otherwise people habitually misuse a term until it becomes part of the nomenclature (HiFi is already riddled with such ghastliness) and then it becomes part of mainstream language.

Serge,

But what if the pickles are a bit zingy and the mayo a bit dry? Or if the whole meal might benefit from being warmed up a bit?

Joe

If the food is bad and depending on my mood and depending on how hungry I was, I might leave it, eat it, send it back or perhaps try and correct it with the culinary equivalent of tone controls, but I wouldn't go back to that restaurant again.

I am of a purist mind-set, that all creations should be done with care, even love, and I have a responsibility to respect the care and attention that went into creating any object. That's why I don't modify stuff very much, my car looks like when it left the factory, with the exception of inevitable wear, my HiFi is for the most part unmodified except where repairs have been done, or functionality changed to suit my operational needs. I don't tweak.

S

S

Sadly there are as many lazy or poor chefs as there are 2nd rate mixing and mastering engineers.

No no no, it totally has "content" as a word when seen in its correct context, but this is what happens when a technical term from one discipline is appropriated and used out of context in another discipline, then it loses its content.
It would be like someone sonifying a bunch of Apple serial numbers and then calling it "serial music", i.e. the process of serialism is not inherent in the work. You have to nip such abuses in the bud otherwise people habitually misuse a term until it becomes part of the nomenclature (HiFi is already riddled with such ghastliness) and then it becomes part of mainstream language.

Apologies. I meant that thw word is devoid of content when applied to amplifiers. I fully accept its real meaning regarding musical instruments; I can even accept the meaning being applied to passive loudspeakers where decisions are made about where to put the errors. It was in relation to amplifiers where it made no sense as decent amplifiers don't have a sound and amplifiers with a sound aren't any good, so why anybody would talk about voicing their amplifiers, thus admitting that they're no good, is beyond my understanding.

S

An amplifier that had no sound of its own doesn't exist. It is just some theoretical flight of fancy for objectivists rhetoric.

Unless you have a business reasoning for using objectism, trying to peddle this nonsense in an enthuasts community is a sophisticated form of trolling.

Serge,

I think I finally understand you, and I can respect the purist mind-set, but in a world where far too many burritos have been bean brickwalled up the wazoo I like to add some salsa and jalapenos to the mix to correct what the chef got wrong.

Joe

Serge,

I think I finally understand you, and I can respect the purist mind-set, but in a world where far too many burritos have been bean brickwalled up the wazoo I like to add some salsa and jalapenos to the mix to correct what the chef got wrong.

Joe

If the chef got it wrong with regard your taste.... Which brings us back full circle.

An amplifier that had no sound of its own doesn't exist. It is just some theoretical flight of fancy for objectivists rhetoric.

Unless you have a business reasoning for using objectism, trying to peddle this nonsense in an enthuasts community is a sophisticated form of trolling.

So it would please you more if I either toed the party line, or just shut up when others are spouting drivel.

S

If the chef got it wrong with regard your taste.... Which brings us back full circle.

No, there is no room for personal preference. One is but an empty vessel waiting to be filled at the whim of the chef/engineer. One neither likes nor dislikes; one simply consumes.

I prefer burritos that were prepared correctly in the first place, not the currently in vogue artificial and over-processed crap that caters to teenage tastes or is tainted by commercial whims.

I also like burritos with thermionic gustatory glow.

220px-Habanero_closeup_edit2.jpg

Joe

No, there is no room for personal preference. One is but an empty vessel waiting to be filled at the whim of the chef/engineer. One neither likes nor dislikes; one simply consumes.

Not quite the point I was making....

i mean one wants the truth and one wants extra salt n pepper and a splash of ketchup.

One trusts his palate to the chef's skills.

One listener wants to pump up the bass and thump and tizzy cymbals for excitement instead of what was intended.

Both are valid but one way has a shorter signal path to the 'truth' or 'actuality'

but listerners who approach hi fi with a knowing how it sounds attitude at all times way of listening and foodies who season before tasting are both not anywhere near what was intended but only near to what they like.... if i want to eat some celery i try it first before possibly adding salt. that way i get the real truth and can still add stuff if i so require.

From the audiophile cred of iphones to the intrinsic truth of a piece of celery. Surprised it took 47 pages to get there, honestly. It was so obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back